By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 1 to 8 - Switch Continues Dominance

Ninten78 said:
These are like xmas numbers...

If I remember right, Wii U peaked at 350k worldwide during holidays.

Around the Network

Real interesting thing here is if NS has a comparable quarter to the last one it could finish the year at just under 80m.

I wonder what third party is going to discover Switch’s Just Dance? What kind of game will it be?

If I were to consider, I’d say it would be an open world game with a strong casual pull taking lessons from both Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing.

And, by “casual” I don’t mean games made for retarded people, I mean games designed for shorter play sessions rather than binging, and with long term engagement in mind. So open and vast like Breath of the Wild, with something of value that keeps players coming back for short periods daily (or multiple times daily) for months or years.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It will be interesting to see who well the Switch will do in the holidays, when Sony and MS finally caught up to Nintendo and enters the 9th gen alongside the Switch.

I guess how much each one will sell will depend on the price of each system, the launch/holiday games and ultimately how weak the economy will be by then because of the Coronavirus.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Looking at the regional breakdown, Switch seems the most balanced overall.

PS is overly strong in Europe, Xbox overly strong in America, both very weak in Japan, but Switch does well in all regions.

Around the Network

The switch will break 14 million this month and there is still over 4 months left. I'm thinking 26 million plus on the year even without a holiday bundle or game release.

Since this isn't the actual Japanese holiday week but rather Nintendo releasing extra stock in preparation for it, this week shows just how much pent up demand there is for the Switch after its prolonged availability issues for most of this year.

Heck, even this week could still be stock limited in some areas.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 August 2020

Switch is a handheld the sales are in line with what the 3ds did. People don't really buy this for a traditional console experience as its rubbish compared to ps5 and Xbox one

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

Switch is a handheld the sales are in line with what the 3ds did. People don't really buy this for a traditional console experience as its rubbish compared to ps5 and Xbox one

If that were true the Lite wouldn't be getting smashed by the original.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Skeeuk said:

The switch is blowing the 3ds out of the water.