By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Switch will break the annual sales record, Japan 2020

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by Machina **

Will Switch break the annual sales record in Japan?

Yes 9 $4,175.00 52.94%

No 8 $3,290.00 47.06%

Totals: 17 $7,465.00  
Game closed: 12/01/2020

I think it has a shot at 7M and so 2007 DS numbers are not too far off from that - it's possible. 06 DS is definitely impossible - supply was too constrained in Q1/Q2 for 8.4M this year IMO.

Around the Network

It maybe has a shot for best selling home console (have to look at Switches sold not including the lite). But the DS was abeast, I don't think anything will match that ever

I don't think they are gonna ship enough to Japan to do that. If they did ship enough I think they'd need a Japan mega-seller coming out this holiday because without that I think if suddenly 4+ million Switches hit Japan in the final 4 months of the year you would have some still sitting on the shelves by year's end. I think there will be one or two big games coming this holiday but I don't think there's gonna be another 3+ million Japan seller hitting this holiday.

I think the Switch might hit like 7.1 million if Nintendo puts that much stock in Japan this year, but I don't see that extra million happening.

Now if Nintendo announces an awesome new 2D Mario plus a Nintendogs game that Japan gets hyped about, plus another Ring Fit game for the holiday and Nintendo says that have massively upped their hardware production this year and plan on making sure there are no shortages in Japan over the holidays then alright I'd say there's a chance, but I doubt all those things are gonna happen.

How is my prediction doing so far?  Not so hot.  Switch sales are at 5.3m after 49 weeks.  It needs to beat 8.4m in the next four weeks, which means it needs to average about 800k a week.  Furthermore, even if the necessary demand is there, Nintendo would have to ship over 3m systems for the month of December. 

So, I'm bumping this up anyway.  We'll see what actually happens and compare it to my prediction.  If I end up colossally off in the end, then I deserve the crow that is coming to me.

By rev/consumer spending, I think it needs to cross 5.7M units for the record over 06 NDS. So that should happen at least.

Actually it is most likely going to take the global revenue record in both 2020 VGC tracking and the FY shipments. NDS was hitting 27-30M at less than half the ASP. Wii only peaked at 25.9M shipped at $250. NSW will do 28-30M at $250-280 ASP (Nintendo will provide shipped splits between LIte/OG).

Around the Network

They might have been table to touch 7M if supply was stronger in Feb + Summer. NDS 08 figure was never in play though - the average price gap is too large.

I bet on "No" and it seems that's correct. Any idea when we would get the VG$ winnings?

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:

I bet on "No" and it seems that's correct. Any idea when we would get the VG$ winnings?

In the past the staff needed to activate the payout by choosing the winning option. But I don't know who can do this actually. Let's try a bit @TalonMan @Machina @trunkswd 

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Didn't it sell like 6m? And it needed over 8.4m for yes? Damn some people were going hard with predictions.

People overhyping so hard like this make the actual great achievements it gets seem lesser.