By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Animal Crossing NH beat GTAV on PS5 and Series XS

Will it beat the GTAV sales on those consoles?

Yes 31 67.39%

No 14 30.43%

Legend was right 1 2.17%

Total:46

Interesting stats from this site: https://gamstat.com/games/GTA_5/

Total Players

PS4 = 92.4m
PS3 = 58.5m
XBO+360 = 71.8m

9m people have played GTA V on Xbox Platforms in the last month.

4.7m people have earned a trophy in GTA V on PlayStation platforms in the past month.

1.2m people played GTA V on PS4 for the first time in the past month.

380k people played GTA V on Xbox Platforms for the first time in the past month.

Obviously Players will be higher than actual sales due to preowned games, sharing games, multiple accounts etc. But still interesting stats to see.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Interesting stats from this site: https://gamstat.com/games/GTA_5/

Total Players

PS4 = 92.4m
PS3 = 58.5m
XBO+360 = 71.8m

9m people have played GTA V on Xbox Platforms in the last month.

4.7m people have earned a trophy in GTA V on PlayStation platforms in the past month.

1.2m people played GTA V on PS4 for the first time in the past month.

380k people played GTA V on Xbox Platforms for the first time in the past month.

Obviously Players will be higher than actual sales due to preowned games, sharing games, multiple accounts etc. But still interesting stats to see.

Well since we don't have the breakdown per platform, estimates are tough.

Statistica.com had gta5 at just under 20 million units sold on PS4 as of January 2020.

That would be in line with sales of GTA 5 on

PS3: 21.3 million

PS2 San Andreas: 17.33 million

Also by statistica The Xbox one version of the game sold 8.7 million units as of January 2020.

That would account for 28~29 million units between the two platforms as of January 2020. Now let's say it sold another 3 million units across the two platforms since January. That would put GTA 5 at around 32 million units sold between PS4/xbone LTD, fair?

Think for yourself, question authority

abroZ said:

Well since we don't have the breakdown per platform, estimates are tough.

Statistica.com had gta5 at just under 20 million units sold on PS4 as of January 2020.

Statistica.com is literally just using VGChartz as it's source lol.

VGC has physical sales for PS4 as 20m and XBO at 8.7m as of end of 2018. Add in digital sales to that 28.7m figure and you're looking at 35m sold on them by the end of 2018. Now add in sales since then (GTA V continues to be at or near the top of the PSN best seller charts to this day).

We can't confidently say where PS4+XBO sales are exactly. But we're looking at a range of 40m-60m.

abroZ said:
Jranation said:
How much did it sell on PS4 and XB1?

Numbers for GTA V on PS4 are around 20 million.

For Xbox one around 9 million. 

Although animal crossing won't outsell gta5 combined on all platforms. It wil outsell it on PS4 + xbone.

Ps5 + Xbox series should be no problem.

What's crazy is that animal crossing nh outsold every game ever released on a single PlayStation or Xbox platform. It did so in just over 3 months.

Thankyou. And yeah if it is going to beat PS4 + XB1, then I expect the same for PS5 and XSX. And Yes ACNH just stomped on every exclusive this gen (if we dont count MK8D but it probably will soon) 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

No it won’t. Because after a few months that game will be pretty much given away for free whereas AC will still be sold for 60 bucks.

Around the Network

AC New Horizon will end up with around 50 million imo.
Will GTA V sell that much on next gen? I honestly feel it's possible but i don't feel like making any predictions, i won't be surprised if it will at all.

This question is impossible to answer. No one knows the breakdown by platform What percentage of those sales are on PC? Is it 5% or 50%? I'm seeing wildly different responses on this thread already, because no one really knows.

In reality GTA5 is outsold by several Nintendo games when you compare sales on a single system. When you take that 130m and start splitting it 5 ways, then it doesn't sound nearly as impressive. Back when NPD would report software numbers Mario Kart Wii would regularly kick GTA4's ass on the monthly charts, and Mario Kart stayed on the chart longer. Not long after that NPD combined PS3 and 360 SKU's and stopped reporting software numbers. Third party titles "magically" moved up on the charts. Nowadays it is even worse, because they lump PC sales in there too while NIntendo games do not have digital sales included. GTA5 doesn't hold any of the major records either even though I've seen several online sites report this. Has it sold more copies than any other video game? Nope, Tetris and Minecraft have sold more. Has it generated more revenue than any other game? Nope. WoW has to be billions of $$ ahead of everyone else. (Just do the math on subscription money + expansions.)

All of this smoke and mirrors means that we'll never really know the answer to the OP's question. But do a little math and you can be sure that AC:NH will outsell GTA5 on any single platform (except maybe PC). Combine XBox and Playstation for any generation and AC likely wins there too, but again, we'll never really know for sure.

I don't know if it would say terrible things about NH or amazing things about GTA V if GTA V outsold it on PS5/XSS/X.

Probably the latter though, I'd just be disappointed in people if it sold that much.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

you need to take into account that GTA Online is going to be free on the PS5, presumably also on the Series X. thats not even to mention the Series X is already going to have two playable versions of GTA V on day 1.

so what this is really asking is "which will sell more - GTA V on PS5 or Animal Crossing on Switch?"

Yerm said:
you need to take into account that GTA Online is going to be free on the PS5, presumably also on the Series X. thats not even to mention the Series X is already going to have two playable versions of GTA V on day 1.

Completely forgot about this. GTA Online is free, so people just looking to play multiplayer won't even have to buy the game on PS5. Which means it's sales will be much lower than I thought