By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mutha Fu... I should have waited for the PS4 version - Dragon Quest XI S...

Should have waited.

Yes. 6 23.08%

No. 17 65.38%

Just Eff It! 3 11.54%

Total:26

Great news for people who never played it(shame on you)
Played it some years ago at launch on the ps4 and loved it! Such a amazing game.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

Original PC is the best one if you have the opportunity, stick with the PS4 version otherwise. This new one being merely a Switch port is lazy.

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:

Yeah, it's going to look worse than the base PS4 version. I don't know how SE built DQXI: S but by the looks of it, it seems that it would be too time consuming to use the PS4 assets...which is strange. 

If you can view this...the first image is the original PS4, the second is the new Steam, (Assuming PS4 as well) and Xbox screens... Yikes. 

Yeah, I guess the new engine they made for the Switch version is causing issues when they try to implement the vanilla assets into it. And it's probably too time consuming to re-create all the new content in the vanilla engine.
Re-posting the images here.

So, this new version on PS4, which is a port of the Switch version, which is itself a port of the base PS4 version, with additional content added, looks worse than the original PS4 version. But does the Switch version of the PS4 port look better than the PS4 port of the Switch version that's an enhance port of the base PS4 version?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Hiku said:
COKTOE said:

So, this new version on PS4, which is a port of the Switch version, which is itself a port of the base PS4 version, with additional content added, looks worse than the original PS4 version. But does the Switch version of the PS4 port look better than the PS4 port of the Switch version that's an enhance port of the base PS4 version?

Probably not, because this Switch port of a game that was a port of a PS4 game will have the same resolution as the original PS4 version.

That's for the clarification. :) It's too bad comprmises had to be made. Ideally, the new version(s) of a game will only add to the the experience. My interest is effectively rendered null, because I have to choose between content and performance.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Why wait? Seems like it is a direct port of the Switch game minus the portability factor.
Seems Switch still has the best version of the game.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Um, okay? Good for you. I personally have no regrets playing this game anywhere I wanted to on my Switch. Loved the game!

Ljink96 said:

Wait...it's 40 freaking bucks? Switch Tax smh... On a separate note... why is this just not DLC?

Edit: So apparently...it is the same geometry and textures as the Switch version...just better framerate and resolution? Ehhhhh...

It's the same as with Resident Evil 4, which needed to be downgraded visually to run on the PS2, but got some extra stuff in return. That extended yet visually downgraded version got used later on for future ports, like the PC and Wii for instance. So same situation now, just the roles have Switched.

Ka-pi96 said:
CladInShadows said:
I guess I need to decide how important portability is. I originally held out for the Switch version but haven't bought it yet because Square and Nintendo means the game will remain expensive forever.

With Switch, there's portability. With PC, there's the inevitable mods which will bring it back to the original graphics. Decisions.

Laptops exist...

Always bring laptop with you to play anywhere at anytime? Not so sure about that

From what I read the core game on the ps4 base version is still awesome. The things that I saw on the S re-release are going to be for those super fans of Dragon Quest that loves nostalgic stuff (like all dq fans I guess), like midi sound, 2d snes like mode and some more side quests. Wich for me aren't really Important because I hardly do side quests.

The original vainilla version is already amazing and packed full of content, it clocks around 200 hours to do everything. If anyone really wants to play the game and finds it cheap, they should just go for it. I love this game, its a masterpiece.