By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mutha Fu... I should have waited for the PS4 version - Dragon Quest XI S...

Should have waited.

Yes. 6 23.08%

No. 17 65.38%

Just Eff It! 3 11.54%

Total:26

Figured this would happen. Just didn't know if it would include the 3DS version.
I didn't play the original yet, even though I have it on PS4. Glad I waited. I'll play this version instead.

I remember when someone told me they thought Persona 5 S stood for Switch, I said publishers these days want to avoid putting console names in titles as that can complicate things for future ports, they pointed at Dragon Quest XI S as an example of where someone did this.

I don't know if it was Square's intention to allude to the Switch with the S, but even if it was, this is why they wouldn't commit to spelling out the whole name.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

Wait...it's 40 freaking bucks? Switch Tax smh... On a separate note... why is this just not DLC?

Edit: So apparently...it is the same geometry and textures as the Switch version...just better framerate and resolution? Ehhhhh...

It's going to be $40? Where did you read this?

And yeah, I didn't expect this game to look any different than the original PS4 version, since the S version was just about additional content.
Although Persona 5 Royal did update the visuals a bit as well. But that's a $60 game. (Currently 25% off on PSN and Amazon.)

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:

Wait...it's 40 freaking bucks? Switch Tax smh... On a separate note... why is this just not DLC?

Edit: So apparently...it is the same geometry and textures as the Switch version...just better framerate and resolution? Ehhhhh...

And yeah, I didn't expect this game to look any different than the original PS4 version, since the S version was just about additional content.
Although Persona 5 Royal did update the visuals a bit as well. But that's a $60 game. (Currently 25% off on PSN and Amazon.)

PS4

Xbox One

Yeah it's 40 PS4, Xbox and Steam. And yes it's a shame that it will essentially look worse on PS4 than it should because the Switch version was built from the ground up and this is a port of that. So yeah, when Square said DQXIS was built from the ground up, they meant it lol. 

Ljink96 said:
Hiku said:

PS4

Xbox One

Yeah it's 40 PS4, Xbox and Steam. And yes it's a shame that it will essentially look worse on PS4 than it should because the Switch version was built from the ground up and this is a port of that. So yeah, when Square said DQXIS was built from the ground up, they meant it lol. 

Nice. Though it's not a Definitive Edition if they don't change Martina's name back from Jade. =/

And that's weird. The way they're wording it, it does sound like it's going to look worse than the original PS4 version.
What could they have changed for the Switch version that they can't just reuse the original vanilla assets for?

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:

The geometry on Switch a quite a bit lower so we will have Switch geometry on PS4/Xbox. I think what some don't know is the Switch version is not a port. It had to be made from scratch for Switch. Switch didn't support the version of UE4 vanilla ran on. They rebuilt the game and lowered the polygon count on everything. Why it took so long.

They added a lot to the Switch version and I mean a lot. Entire chapters. Not just the music and costumes.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Hiku said:

The geometry on Switch a quite a bit lower so we will have Switch geometry on PS4/Xbox. I think what some don't know is the Switch version is not a port. It had to be made from scratch for Switch. Switch didn't support the version of UE4 vanilla ran on. They rebuilt the game and lowered the polygon count on everything. Why it took so long.

They added a lot to the Switch version and I mean a lot. Entire chapters. Not just the music and costumes.

I was considering polygon count, but it shouldn't be an issue to just swap to the PS4 assets they already have. Except for the parts of the game that are new.
But it may be related to the engine change you mentioned. Maybe the framerate tanks if they use the original PS4 assets on the new engine.

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:

PS4

Xbox One

Nice. Though it's not a Definitive Edition if they don't change Martina's name back from Jade. =/

And that's weird. The way they're wording it, it does sound like it's going to look worse than the original PS4 version.
What could they have changed for the Switch version that they can't just reuse the original vanilla assets for?

Yeah, it's going to look worse than the base PS4 version. I don't know how SE built DQXI: S but by the looks of it, it seems that it would be too time consuming to use the PS4 assets...which is strange. 

If you can view this...the first image is the original PS4, the second is the new Steam, (Assuming PS4 as well) and Xbox screens... Yikes. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 23 July 2020

Meh, I've no regrets. I waited for the Switch version, and I'd rather play it on Switch anyway.

Ljink96 said:
Hiku said:

Yeah, it's going to look worse than the base PS4 version. I don't know how SE built DQXI: S but by the looks of it, it seems that it would be too time consuming to use the PS4 assets...which is strange. 

If you can view this...the first image is the original PS4, the second is the new Steam, (Assuming PS4 as well) and Xbox screens... Yikes. 

Yeah, I guess the new engine they made for the Switch version is causing issues when they try to implement the vanilla assets into it. And it's probably too time consuming to re-create all the new content in the vanilla engine.
Re-posting the images here.

Last edited by Hiku - on 23 July 2020

I'm going to replay it again on X1 via Game Pass. I already own and beat it on the PS4 still haven't completely finished my first play through since didn't do all the post final boss stuff yet.