By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros. 6 or Smash Ultimate: Deluxe. Which will be Switch 2's Smash game?

What will be Switch 2's Smash Game?

Smash Ultimate: Deluxe 5 50.00%

Smash Bros. 6 (or 7) 5 50.00%

Both 0 0%

Total:10

Didn't Sakurai said that a next Super Smash Bros. game would not have as many characters as Ultimate?

Around the Network

No to smash ultimate port, that's an awful idea. It's not the same as MK8D at all. MK got ported because nobody freaking bought the Wii U so Nintendo had a whole library of games that hardly anyone played. Obviously not the same situation with Smash Ultimate and the Switch in general. Also assuming Switch 2 is backwards compatible porting it would make even less sense. They aren't gonna port a Smash game the everyone already bought, that'd sell a fraction of the amount that actually making a new game would sell. Not sure why anyone would want them to just port old games instead of, ya know, actually making new games!

I have no idea where they are gonna take Smash from here on out, as Ultimate was kinda like well, the ultimate Smash, but porting Ultimate doesn't make any sense at all.

Thing is. No matter which route they take, there’s no way they’ll be able to get ALL of the characters back. When you reach the absolute pinnacle in terms of roster size and the insane cast of characters, the other edge of that sword is that for the next game, there’s nowhere to go but down.

Obviously, Nintendo can get all their 1st party characters back if they want to, and some 3rd party characters that should be easy for them like Sonic, Bayonetta, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. I have a difficult time seeing how they’ll be able to get guys like Cloud, Snake, Joker, Terry Bogard, and Simon Belmont again.

I think the best route to take would be to do a Smash 6. And then cap the roster size to a certain limit. Say, 50-60. And then you could still do the fighter passes for DLC to bring it up to 60-70.

The problem with this is that some characters are obviously going to get cut, which, no matter which way you slice it, is going to piss off a lot of people. But honestly, I think it’d be for the best.

The problem with having a roster that is getting as massive as Ultimate is, proper balancing and fine-tuning is damn near impossible and you have characters that all just blend in together (Looking at YOU Fire Emblem!) Or characters that are insanely broken or absolutely worthless.

So they should cap the roster size to a certain amount and be more picky with their characters based on what games could be promoted, what will lead to the best marketing opportunities, and what will drive insane hype among fans.

For example: In this scenario, characters like Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mr. Game and Watch, gotta go. These people haven’t had a game and haven’t been relevant in years, decades even, and no fans, save for a very small minority are pining for them. So, they gotta get the axe.

I think the original roster from Smash 64 should stay, no matter what. The “Core 12” I like to call them.

Some franchises with a large number of representatives can afford to be cut down a bit, ESPECIALLY Fire Emblem and Pokémon. Marth and Pikachu can stay because they’re the faces of their respective franchises, and Pikachu is one of the original fighters, along with Jigglypuff. But characters like Chrom, Roy, Ike, Corrin, Robin, Byleth, Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja? Gotta go. The reps from those franchises should basically be the franchise cornerstones (Marth for FE; Pikachu and Jigglypuff for Pokémon) and reps from the latest games in their franchises (Fire Emblem for Switch 2 and Pokémon Gen 10/11.)

Same for Mario and Zelda. Obviously, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf should stick around. But we can do without Bowser Jr., Rosalina and Luma, Dr. Mario, Piranha Plant, Sheik, Toon Link, and Young Link. Instead, give some of those slots to characters from the new Mario and Zelda games for Switch 2.

And when negotiating with 3rd parties, that’s where discussing characters popular with fans should be taken more into account. The chances of getting Cloud back are about slim to none. But how about Geno this time? Or someone from Chrono Trigger? And then maybe the new protagonist/Hero for Dragon Quest XII or Bravely Default 3, or Octopath 2, or whatever new game Nintendo and Square Enix collaborate on.

It’s good to be hopeful, but we also gotta be realistic. What Sakurai has been able to do with Smash Ultimate will NEVER be topped. Ever. From this point on, I think the series will focus more on the specific era or generation it was released, which characters are popular within that gen, and making use of new modes and mechanics, in addition to the different cast of characters, to make each game stand out from the rest.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 21 July 2020

Ultimate means final. So unless it's just a name. Might be the final game. At least what we know as Smash. Sakurai is unloading on this game with spirits and DLC characters. Maybe this is his magnum opus. Seeing how it sells maybe Nintendo continues but maybe Sakurai finally steps away before he dies.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 July 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

GameCube was a big leap forward graphically, Wii was small. Wii U was big leap forward again, Switch was small. Based on these, I think Switch 2 will be a large enough leap forward that a smash Ultimate port will look quite aged, so I predict Smash 6. But I think Smash 6 will go back to having smaller roster based on the core and most relevant characters around time of release. A smaller roster will allow more resources to go into engine, new modes, vastly improved internet connectivity, features, and hopefully a deep story/CGI driven campaign mode.

Around the Network

I don’t think next console will get another smash bros

Smash 6

They already said right at the beginning that Ultimate had an unique opportunity to bring back everyone which will certainly not happen again so easily. As a result, I expect the number of fighter to drop to around 50 including Echo Fighters before DLC. Similar stuff is going to happen to stages, music and Mii costumes (if the Miis come back in the first place, that is).

In other words, it won't be possible to make another Ultimate version, so they'll have to settle it in Smash with a 6