Forums - General Discussion - Is this okay to be muslim in USA ?

You will be fine. However, it isn’t exactly a good time to visit... Covid is surging badly... there are so many restrictions now and probably will be more soon... maybe put it off for a year?

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
The US us totally fine for a visit, or to live. It has problems, just like anywhere else. But, some of these comments above clearly come from people that have no idea of what is going on here.

Bottom line, there are literally millions of Muslims in the US, and they live life just like anyone else. Racism isn't zero, but you're unlikely to have any real problems during a visit.

Pot calling the kettle black. 

VAMatt said:
The US us totally fine for a visit, or to live. It has problems, just like anywhere else. But, some of these comments above clearly come from people that have no idea of what is going on here.

Bottom line, there are literally millions of Muslims in the US, and they live life just like anyone else. Racism isn't zero, but you're unlikely to have any real problems during a visit.

Pretty sure I do. Living here and all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

There were 2 muslim kids at my high school in a heavily conservative rural area of the US, one of whom I was friends with. To my knowledge, neither of them had to deal with any racism, and this was just a few years after 9/11 when there was far more anti-Muslim sentiment than there is now. I think you'll be fine, unless anti-Muslim racism is far worse in the big cities than it is in the rural areas. 

Seems like its ok to be muslim in the US for the most part. Just dont be happy, inclusive and content with your life while in LA. You need to blame the US for the worlds problems and youll be fine.

Joking obviously. Just enjoy yourself and have a great vacation.

Around the Network

As long as you steer clear of the deep South, (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Georgia, Florida), you should be fine. Texas and Florida are two of the main states, along with California and Arizona - which is where I live :/, that the virus is spreading.

Furthermore, thanks to Dumb and Dumber (Trump and his administration), racism is running rampant in many places, ESPECIALLY in the states I just mentioned.

Between the racial problems that have been escalating since the George Floyd murderer and Covid-19 at an all time high and getting higher, it's a REALLY bad time to be coming to the States as at the moment. I'd probably postpone it for a year if I were you.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

I don't think anyone has properly answered your question which is about wearing traditional muslim clothes at the airport.

I can't either but I can tell you a little story a working colleague told me once.
A friend of his (German with Turkish descent) travelled from Berlin to New York. In the US, he was denied entry because he previously also travelled to South-East Turkey (which is where his family is coming from). They thought he was an IS fighter who went to this part of Turkey so he could easily cross the Syrian border.
His German passport didn't help him either. He had to fly back immediately.

So if you've been to any place close to Syria (and probably Iran, Afghanistan etc. as well), you will likely be denied entry too.

Last edited by Barozi - on 12 July 2020

Well it has been 10 years since I been in the US so cannot say.

This is about the time they started rolling out the extra security measures in LAX, where you had to take your shoes off, couldn't take a drink past security etc. I got in fine, my wife they looked her over a few times cause of her passport lol.

Then the drama began, my flight got cancelled, so they moved us to another flight and then we become tagged. Every place that did a search at the airport searched us.

Later I found out from a local the reason that happened was because we were international and rebooked a flight within 24hours of boarding one, so your ticket is flagged with 4 little SSSS signs on it lol. Not sure if that is as obvious now or if they hide it on the ticket better.

Thank you guys, you reassured me a lot and you took away that image of US Islamophobia a bit, and don't worry if I go I will take my precautions

I like Nintendo and Sony but more than this I love video games

The vast majority Americans are great. Like any country they have a certain proportion of idiots roaming around. American idiots seem to be a lot louder than idiots from other countries. The chances are that you won't actually meet any because they are too busy making their country look bad on the Internet...