By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this okay to be muslim in USA ?

Leynos said:
The US is a mess. Racial tensions since it's current leadership has made it seem okay to be outwardly racist and prejudice. On top of that, there is a worldwide pandemic and the US being the hotspot. This could not be a worse time to visit. Let's see where things are at next summer. Maybe have a new regime and a vaccine out to get things under control. Stay clear right now.

Yeah it's nowhere near this bad - especially if you live in the suburbs like I do. It's actually super peaceful here. I guess if you're not from here and all you know is the sensationalist news you'd think America is on fire right now, but things are actually more or less normal here and most people you'll run into are either benign/friendly or keep to themselves. If anything, you might want to stay out of some of the major cities as there's been some civil unrest there lately (lots of people with no jobs currently going nuts in certain cities haha) but most of the straight-up rioting has died down at this point. 

As far as Covid goes - cases are up, though it's largely because of a major increase in people being tested, and deaths from it are way down anyway. 

The airport TSA irks me as a libertarian for sure - but I doubt you'll have real issues. There's a chance you may get a bit extra attention but there's nothing to worry about as long as you comply with items that are approved for travel - ie not large containers of liquids/water bottles from outside the airport. I've neglected to discard those before going through security and have been thoroughly searched, my entire luggage emptied out and examined - basically made to feel like a criminal. And this is coming from a white dude heh. So they certainly didn't discriminate when it came to my TSA shakedowns.. But hey if this thorough search happens to you, simply take the extra 5 mins to go through it - then they'll send you on your way. No harm done. It's annoying, but still a minor inconvenience at the end of the day. 

But while I'm not a fan of the TSA, I really feel most are on the lookout for suspicious activity and/or luggage versus unfairly profiling people simply from their looks - I'm sure there are exceptions of course but for the most part this seems to be the case. I HIGHLY doubt you'll be pulled aside and given extra searching just for your appearance. 

Despite what you may have heard about how horrible some can be in the US, most of us (at least in my experience) here are fairly normal people just living our lives, and most tend to "live and let live." We're a major melting pot here so most tend to treat eachother as individuals, most are very used to our diversity and are very accepting of people of different backgrounds (or at least act like they are). That even includes the Authoritarian TSA for the most part. Not sure where this person is getting the notion of "being outwardly racist and prejudice totally flies now!" but it's simply not true. Very much the opposite. You may get the occasional look from a paranoid Karen/Ken or two (which still isn't ok), but that's literally it. 

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 12 July 2020

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Cultural antimuslim tensions should be more frequent in Europe compared to the US,
If you can, please selfquarantaine for a while when you come back.

DarthMetalliCube said:
Leynos said:
The US is a mess. Racial tensions since it's current leadership has made it seem okay to be outwardly racist and prejudice. On top of that, there is a worldwide pandemic and the US being the hotspot. This could not be a worse time to visit. Let's see where things are at next summer. Maybe have a new regime and a vaccine out to get things under control. Stay clear right now.

As far as Covid goes - cases are up, though it's largely because of a major increase in people being tested, and deaths from it are way down anyway. 

No, there's increased available testing throughout the entire world. The reason for USA's failure is largely because of selfish idiots.

Places that took this seriously have flattened the curve, and essentially have it under control.
Florida is now the epicenter of not just the country, but the entire world. They have more cases per day than the entire European Union.

Some states in the US are handling this well though, like New York.

I would not recommend vacationing in LA during all of this. But if you do, remember to be very cautious.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 July 2020

I went to New York in 2014 with my family and I didn’t experience any racism at all, everyone was so friendly and easy going, it was a pleasure and my mom wears a headscarf mind you.
Then back here in Germany I experienced discrimination right at the airport.
Contrary to popular belief, in my experience there’s more racism and discrimination here in Europe than in America, especially as a muslim.
Hope you’ll have a great time and be safe!

TheGamer_1995 said:
I went to New York in 2014 with my family and I didn’t experience any racism at all, everyone was so friendly and easy going, it was a pleasure and my mom wears a headscarf mind you.
Then back here in Germany I experienced discrimination right at the airport.
Contrary to popular belief, in my experience there’s more racism and discrimination here in Europe than in America, especially as a muslim.
Hope you’ll have a great time and be safe!

I agree about the racism against muslims part,there is also a problem with how other cultures are integrated and it results with people sticking to their own kind.

But yeah whenever someone in certain circles makes an extremely racist comment about muslims and i comment that person about it almost always results in everyone of the surrounding people taking a step back and not daring to interfere,like racism against muslims is sometimes the accepted norm.

Depends on the area you live in ofcourse.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 12 July 2020

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:
Leynos said:

23th/24th April (Thursday->Friday) during the last peak in the US

366k tests in one day, 30.7k discovered infections (8.4% positivity rate)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200424002111/https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

9th/10th July (Thursday->Friday) during the current peak in the US

666k tests in one day, 61k discovered infections (9.2% positivity rate)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200710002327/https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The current situation is already worse and it probably hasn't even peaked yet.

Last edited by Barozi - on 12 July 2020

DarthMetalliCube said:
Leynos said:

you've been replied to a couple times but noone showed this graph so I guess I'm tossing in my two cents as well:

As you can see the % of positive tests has increase quite drastically in the last month. This increase in cases cannot be explained by increased testing. 

JWeinCom said:
If I were you I would avoid going to the US right now. The virus situation is not under control.

If you insist on coming, I doubt you'll have much trouble. Security may look at you a bit more closely than other people, but beyond that, I don't imagine you'd have any issues.

Not only that, but racial division is even higher over there than when Obama was in office.

As long as you're not black or hispanic you should be fine.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
As long as you're not black or hispanic you should be fine.

^This. American cops, judges and politicians hate those two races for some stupid reasons.