By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Paper Mario: The Origami King sell lifetime?

How many million lifetime?

2+ 9 14.75%

3+ 7 11.48%

4+ 16 26.23%

5+ 15 24.59%

6+ 7 11.48%

7+ 3 4.92%

8+ 2 3.28%

9+ 1 1.64%

10+ 0 0%

15+ 1 1.64%

Total:61

Or Super Mario , Mario Kart , The Legend of Zelda

Around the Network

I think it will do phenomenal! Better than Animal Crossing.
one MILLION copies!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

For me, around 4 million.
Paper Mario never was a big selling point of mario-spinoffs titles. Personally i think it will do better than any of the games in the series, just becuase the lack of first party titles on the switch in the near future.

If the game will get good reviews combined with the "hunger" from the switch userbase for new first party titles, it can sell pretty good.

I dont think there is a chance for 10+ plus. Its a bit to late in the switch lifetime cycle.

I’m sure it can reach 6 millions lifetime.

Sticker Star did a 1.83 million launch, for an audience of 25 millions 3DS at that time (you have to note that the Japan sales were bad, because the game was launch just 3 days after Animal Crossing New Leaf).

It’s pretty obvious that Origami King will do a ~ 3 million launch, when we have nearly 60 millions switch now. Plus, there is absolutely no other game for the summer, another reason to help to boost launch sales.

Remember that the last Intelligent System game, FE Three Houses, did a 2.29 millions launch at the same time last year (for a base of 41 millions of Switch users). How some people can believe Paper Mario will sell 2 millions lifetime ? … It has no sense.
Don’t listen to the fanbase, which is always disappointed. This game will breaks a record for the serie.

It will be the best selling in the series due to the Switch effect.
I guess that means no proper Mario RPG for a while, with AlphaDream now gone as well :/

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Dulfite said:

What do you mean "all indication?" It has traditional weapons, not stickers like the first two.

Yes, consumable weapons that break.  In addition, no XP or positives to battling.  So, like Sticker Star and Color Splash, battling is something you'll want to avoid as mostly a waste of your time.

It'll be the 3rd straight game where the battle system is broken by being pointless.  Three games and they still haven't fixed this most basic gameplay flaw!

The combat is turned based like the first two.

So is the combat in Sticker Star and Color Splash.  And the combat is now puzzle-based for some reason.

¯:_(ツ)_/¯ 

The partners are back (with dialogue and unique names like the first two).

And they just appear to be characters that tag along for a time.  You can't even control them in battle.  The character designs we've seen also remain depressingly generic.

It's a full "world" again rather than levels like the last two games (and like the first two games).

That's about the only thing I can see where it's definitely stepped back in the right direction.

It is 3-D adventure like the first two (unlike SPM).

Again, so were Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Super Paper Mario isn't the problem with the series y'know.  Heck, I'd settle for them going back to Super Paper Mario at this point.

It's not perfect and isn't once TTYD's level, but this is absolutely moving in the right direction.

I don't see much evidence of that.  It seems to be better than the last two games, but the direction of the series remains firmly in trying to polish the turd that is Sticker Star, only with a few mechanics that are vaguely resemble the origins of the series, but do so in a haphazard manner that misses the point.

That's not true about no positivies in battling at CS.

Avoinding battles in Color Splash is going to led the player to have less powerful cards and no way to upgrade the amount of paint Mario can carry, locking you with the basics cards, having nightmerish and longer combats againts forced enemies/bosses, and an small amount of paint leading to a waste of time in search for it around the levels when Mario needs to explore them.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

At least 5m

The Switch effect alone should make it the best selling entry in the series I expect; we've seen plenty of examples recently of fan displeasure having little impact on sales.

NightlyPoe said:
Pavolink said:

That's not true about no positivies in battling at CS.

Avoinding battles in Color Splash is going to led the player to have less powerful cards and no way to upgrade the amount of paint Mario can carry, locking you with the basics cards, having nightmerish and longer combats againts forced enemies/bosses, and an small amount of paint leading to a waste of time in search for it around the levels when Mario needs to explore them.

In theory, sure.  In practice, not really.  You can get enough hammer shards incidentally, and can buy plenty of pre-painted cards, to make it through the game.

In theory and in practice.

Limiting yourself to hammer painted cards is the same as only using the same attack in 64 and TTYD. And yes, we don't need many different attacks in those games to go thru the games, outside of some exceptions that may requiere certain partners, just like CS needs those real things cards for bosses.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile