By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo save gaming with the NES?

Did Nintendo save gaming with the NES?

Yes 70 70.00%

No 30 30.00%

Total:100

Hardcore Nintendo gamers: Yes, they did!
Everyone else: Nah, some other company would have revitalized it in the US

The gaming landscape now would be a lot different if Nintendo hadn't release the NES. But as to say they 'saved gaming' is just absurd.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

Also, for every person that attempts to claim that the video game industry was somehow fine in NA after the crash, I could name 10 other experience that prove the claim that it was far from dead. As shown here:

Do you have any reliable sources for these quotes?

"1985 Journalist", "1985 Magazine Journalist", "Store Manager 1985"? Can that be more generic? Didn't these people have names?

Why should an opinion of a generic store manager or security guard even matter?

And which 1980s EA president do you mean? Trip Hawkins? Why did he leave his job at Apple and made a personal investment of $200k into the new company if he thought video games were a fad and dead? And why did EA prosper in these dark times 1983 - 1985, directly after they entered the games market?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Trip_Hawkins_era:_origins,_founding,_success_(1982%E2%80%931990)

Please stop with your fan fiction to give your argument more credit!

Thought I'd already commented on the post. Haven't seen it since the first 25 posts. Gonna have to read the whole thread. I'm not sure if Nintendo saved the industry but I've been gaming since "Pac Man fever" is not earlier and I don't remember a time when I wasn't playing video games or intrigued by them. I'm certain I wasn't alone. Nintendo filled a void. They were the ones that did it but if they hadn't, my heart tells me that somebody else would have.

Conina said:
javi741 said:

Also, for every person that attempts to claim that the video game industry was somehow fine in NA after the crash, I could name 10 other experience that prove the claim that it was far from dead. As shown here:

"1985 Journalist", "1985 Magazine Journalist", "Store Manager 1985"? Can that be more generic? Didn't these people have names?

And which 1980s EA president do you mean? Trip Hawkins? Why did he leave his job at Apple and made a personal investment of $200k into the new company if he thought video games were a fad and dead? And why did EA prosper in these dark times 1983 - 1985, directly after they entered the games market?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Trip_Hawkins_era:_origins,_founding,_success_(1982%E2%80%931990)

I could provide sources for every one of these quotes if you really want me too....

javi741 said:
Conina said:
javi741 said:

I could provide sources for every one of these quotes if you really want me too....

Sure, you should have done that in the first place.

Around the Network

No... of course not. If the NES had failed someone else would have come along and given it a shot in a few years.

Home Gaming isn't an industry that would have died without Nintendo, where there is a market and demand it will be filled by somebody. In a world where the NES failed who knows who else might have taken a shot at it.

Heh, this thread is still going.  It's still basically two opposing sides making wrong/half right arguments against the other side.  Here is the actual truth from someone who lived in the US, is old enough to remember this stuff, and has spent a fair amount of time studying the history of video games.

1) Nintendo did not save all of gaming.  They did not even save all of gaming in North America.  Arcades were unaffected by the console market crash, and PC gaming was growing in the mid 80s (particularly the C64), mostly because PC gaming was filling the void left by consoles.

2) Nintendo actually did save console gaming.  They created the console market in Japan, and they revived it in US.  The amount of "dominoes" that Nintendo had to line up to accomplish both of these things is pretty amazing.  The chances of some other company doing the same thing later are slim to none.  Not only did Nintendo utilize a lot of initiative and ingenuity to create/revive the console market, but most other companies that had consoles got into the console market, because Nintendo had made it such a lucrative market.  

3) Without Nintendo, gaming as a whole would still exist today, but it would be somewhat of a niche medium in comparison.  During the console market crash, the C64 filled the void left by consoles.  A few years later, the NES was the market leader and caused the downfall of Commodore.  However, if in a world where Nintendo never enters console gaming, the PC model established during the console market crash is what would have prevailed.  Commodore sales of the C64 are about 1/4 of NES sales.  Therefore, without Nintendo and console gaming, the game industry would continue to be about 1/4 of the size compared to what it was with Nintendo and console gaming.  Consoles have a lot of advantages compared to PCs (cost, simplicity, controls, etc...) and that is what causes the game industry to be 4 times larger than with just PC gaming alone. Without consoles not only would there be fewer games every year, and fewer high quality games, but there would also be far less of what we consider AAA big budget games.  A game like GTA3 (and later GTAs) would likely never get funded.  This is the sort of big budget game that gets funded when there is money to be made.  Without the big money, there wouldn't be big games either.

So in conclusion, it is hyperbole to say that Nintendo single-handedly saved gaming.  Gaming would still exist without Nintendo ever reviving the console industry.  However it also hyperbolic in the other direction to suggest Nintendo had no lasting effect.  Without the NES gaming wouldn't be nearly as robust as it is today.  Much of the argument that people have in this thread has to do with the definition of "saving gaming".  Does it mean "saving its existence" or does it mean "saving from mediocrity".  Nintendo did not save all of gaming, and in fact, all of gaming did not even need saving.  However they did revive the console industry in such a dramatic and overwhelming successful way that they very much did save gaming from mediocrity.   They defied all conventional wisdom at the time and won the uphill battle of establishing a permanent console gaming market.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Heh, this thread is still going.  It's still basically two opposing sides making wrong/half right arguments against the other side.  Here is the actual truth from someone who lived in the US, is old enough to remember this stuff, and has spent a fair amount of time studying the history of video games.

1) Nintendo did not save all of gaming.  They did not even save all of gaming in North America.  Arcades were unaffected by the console market crash, and PC gaming was growing in the mid 80s (particularly the C64), mostly because PC gaming was filling the void left by consoles.

2) Nintendo actually did save console gaming.  They created the console market in Japan, and they revived it in US.  The amount of "dominoes" that Nintendo had to line up to accomplish both of these things is pretty amazing.  The chances of some other company doing the same thing later are slim to none.  Not only did Nintendo utilize a lot of initiative and ingenuity to create/revive the console market, but most other companies that had consoles got into the console market, because Nintendo had made it such a lucrative market.  

3) Without Nintendo, gaming as a whole would still exist today, but it would be somewhat of a niche medium in comparison.  During the console market crash, the C64 filled the void left by consoles.  A few years later, the NES was the market leader and caused the downfall of Commodore.  However, if in a world where Nintendo never enters console gaming, the PC model established during the console market crash is what would have prevailed.  Commodore sales of the C64 are about 1/4 of NES sales.  Therefore, without Nintendo and console gaming, the game industry would continue to be about 1/4 of the size compared to what it was with Nintendo and console gaming.  Consoles have a lot of advantages compared to PCs (cost, simplicity, controls, etc...) and that is what causes the game industry to be 4 times larger than with just PC gaming alone. Without consoles not only would there be fewer games every year, and fewer high quality games, but there would also be far less of what we consider AAA big budget games.  A game like GTA3 (and later GTAs) would likely never get funded.  This is the sort of big budget game that gets funded when there is money to be made.  Without the big money, there wouldn't be big games either.

So in conclusion, it is hyperbole to say that Nintendo single-handedly saved gaming.  Gaming would still exist without Nintendo ever reviving the console industry.  However it also hyperbolic in the other direction to suggest Nintendo had no lasting effect.  Without the NES gaming wouldn't be nearly as robust as it is today.  Much of the argument that people have in this thread has to do with the definition of "saving gaming".  Does it mean "saving its existence" or does it mean "saving from mediocrity".  Nintendo did not save all of gaming, and in fact, all of gaming did not even need saving.  However they did revive the console industry in such a dramatic and overwhelming successful way that they very much did save gaming from mediocrity.   They defied all conventional wisdom at the time and won the uphill battle of establishing a permanent console gaming market.

Arcades were completely involved with the video game crash. Arcade revenue dropped significantly after the crash and while PC revenues slightly rose, it was far from being able to fix the crash since revenues for gaming in general completely went down. So arcades and gaming consoles died after the crash and PC gaming was never alive in the first place to consider it dead after the crash.

Nintendo most certainly did not "save" gaming with the NES. The industry had hit a big bump, but it certainly wasnt going to cause gaming to disappear. The NES most certainly did give the industry a nice boost though, at a time when that was badly needed.

They helped console gaming tremendously and it also helps their legacy that they brought a quality line of titles along with their console. They deserve their fair share of admiration for those achievements but they also deserve condemnation for their strong arm tactics with regards to third party developers afterwards. Not to mention their stance on violence in games. I admit that I'm biased but I'm more of a fan of what Sega did to break the near-monopoly Nintendo had after the NES was a success. Something that Sony capitalized on to dethrone Nintendo completely for a couple of gens.