By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo save gaming with the NES?

Did Nintendo save gaming with the NES?

Yes 70 70.00%

No 30 30.00%

Total:100
Mandalore76 said:
Nautilus said:

I do understand where you are comming from, but your example comes from a personal experience of a regional occurance, whereas this debate revolves around gaming as a whole, in the whole world.

Bolded: There were adults that were fans of gaming, for sure, but the perception of the general public was that games was for kids. And that's the whole point. Enthusiasts exist everywhere and have different ages, but these discussion, about impacts to the industry and overall perception, is regarded against the overall public and/or society.

So yes, not only did Nintendo save gaming, but it also made it more popular than it was.

This will get written off as anecdotal as well, but my grandfather owned an Intellivision.  He was an avid golfer and bowler and had won many trophies, and Intellivision was known for having the most detailed looking/playing sports games of their time.  Mattel was the first console manufacturer to seek out licenses from professional sports associations (NFL Football, NHL Hockey, NBA Basketball, etc.). 

Two of the games my grandfather enjoyed playing the most were PGA Golf and PBA Bowling.  He had other games of course like Snafu, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Microsurgeon, Atlantis, Dracula, etc.  Anyway, this was a console that he bought for himself and played frequently, not just something that he would pull out of the closet when his grandkids came to visit.  I think if you look at the crux of the Intellivision's library, and the games that made it stand out apart from the Atari 2600, you can clearly see that it was not a console just for kids.  I'm not talking about just the sports games.  Play (or look up videos of) Microsurgeon or Utopia (credited as being a precursor to Sid Meir's Civilization) and tell me which audience those games were specifically targeting.  Children with short attention spans, or adults looking for a deeper mental challenge?  The Intellivision sold over 3 million consoles between 1979-1983, and carved out 20% of Atari's market by the time of the North American Video Game Crash.  Even the Intellivision ad campaigns are reminiscent of tactics Sega (and later Sony) used against Nintendo to show that the opposing console was "kids play" compared to theirs.

That is a nice story!

But just it becomes confusing: What I am saying here is that Nintendo brought the industry back from the dead, not invented it. That didn't impede companies having some success before the crash, but nobody managed to actuyll save it after it did crash. Not until Nintendo.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
SvennoJ said:

More popular sure.

Looking at best sellers, Populous released '89 on Amiga sold about 4 million copies, Super mario world released '90 sold about 20 million copies.
Myst, best selling PC game until the sims, sold 6 million copies.
Kings Quest V only sold half a million copies and was actually also released on the NES (but censored for violence and religious themes)

Save gaming, nah. Make it more popular, yes they did. They made it more kid friendly as well.

Yeah... It did save gaming, for sure.

As said before, if Nintendo didn't do it, someone else would, as entertainment is part of human culture. But many gaming companies went bankrupt at the time, and everything seemed bleak, then Nintendo came and proved once and for all that gaming had a future.

Myst, the game you kept going on about?It first launched in 1993 on MAC, many years AFTER Nintendo already launched the NES and saved gaming. Hell, the Super Nintendo was already out. Nintendo already brought back the industry and made it more popular than ever before that game you went on. The same was for this Populous.It launched way after the NES hit stores shelves everywhere, since the NES launched in 85 in the Americas and 86 in Europe. By then, the reputation to gaming was already restored and was already walking into it was today, so of course those games did well.

All your examples came after Nintendo fixed everything up. So yeah, they saved gaming.

So Nintendo fixed Amiga 500 sales and started Bullfrog so they could produce Populous...
They also fixed Sierra online so they could keep producing mainly PC adventures like they were doing before the 'crash'

Sierra entertainment was founded in 1979, Bullfrog in 1987 but they didn't develop for the NES, it was licensed to be ported to the SNES after the game had won awards and proved to be successful. Same happened to Metal Gear, success first then ported to the NES (drastically altered btw)

Lucasfilm games was doing fine as well (Maniac mansion) also got ported to the NES later (A port for the Nintendo Entertainment System had to be reworked heavily, in response to complaints by Nintendo of America that the game was inappropriate for children)

NES got a lot of (mangled) ports from already successful games. Great save!

SvennoJ said:
Nautilus said:

Yeah... It did save gaming, for sure.

As said before, if Nintendo didn't do it, someone else would, as entertainment is part of human culture. But many gaming companies went bankrupt at the time, and everything seemed bleak, then Nintendo came and proved once and for all that gaming had a future.

Myst, the game you kept going on about?It first launched in 1993 on MAC, many years AFTER Nintendo already launched the NES and saved gaming. Hell, the Super Nintendo was already out. Nintendo already brought back the industry and made it more popular than ever before that game you went on. The same was for this Populous.It launched way after the NES hit stores shelves everywhere, since the NES launched in 85 in the Americas and 86 in Europe. By then, the reputation to gaming was already restored and was already walking into it was today, so of course those games did well.

All your examples came after Nintendo fixed everything up. So yeah, they saved gaming.

So Nintendo fixed Amiga 500 sales and started Bullfrog so they could produce Populous...
They also fixed Sierra online so they could keep producing mainly PC adventures like they were doing before the 'crash'

Sierra entertainment was founded in 1979, Bullfrog in 1987 but they didn't develop for the NES, it was licensed to be ported to the SNES after the game had won awards and proved to be successful. Same happened to Metal Gear, success first then ported to the NES (drastically altered btw)

Lucasfilm games was doing fine as well (Maniac mansion) also got ported to the NES later (A port for the Nintendo Entertainment System had to be reworked heavily, in response to complaints by Nintendo of America that the game was inappropriate for children)

NES got a lot of (mangled) ports from already successful games. Great save!

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Yeah, Nintendo brought gaming as a whole, and that also helped the popularity of PC gaming, even if on a smaller scale. That also applies to other gaming consoles.

People jumped in/invested in gaming because Nintendo showed them it can be profitable and sustainable, which made poeple make games for both the NES and other gaming consoles(obviously after the NES and Super Mario Bros was a gigantic success).

I should also mention, because it seems that if I don't say anything about everything people don't get it, that while Nintendo saved gaming, it's not like it was completely defunct. Arcade was doing reasonably well and it's not like gaming didn't sell a single copy until the NES came. Their sales were just so stupidly low(even a few million for a console, considering that you needed tyo invest alot, was rather low back in the day) that you couldn't considered that a success, even if there were a few exceptions.

So yeah, yet again, Nintendo saves the day!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

vivster said:
It takes way more faith to believe that no one would've ever popularized video games if Nintendo didn't. It's completely asinine to belive natural evolution doesn't happen when there are billions of people on this planet. Which is why I reject any such notion.

On that note, cult around any company is an inherently bad thing. You can acknowledge someones accomplishments without ascribing god like powers to them.

So what company would've saved it, Sega or Atari? Let me ask you how is Sega and Atari doing right now.... Yea......

Also, the reason why you are saying it takes more faith to believe the industry wouldn't bounce back is because you are living in a world where video games are flourishing more than ever and hasn't ever died since Nintendo saved it, you can't imagine a world where video games aren't big cause they are now a norm of society at this point. Put yourself in 1985 where the industry was dead and buried and you wouldn't believe the industry would ever recover from the crash, and most people thought video games were a fad. Just like how fidget spinners or hoverboards are a fad now that is clearly completely dead, imagine if you are a company looking to manufacturing more hoverboards and plan to make a consistent major income from that, do you think any company would take that business seriously?! No cause they believe hoverboards are a fad and a lost cause now, that is how companies looked at the video game industry. Nintendo was the only one to have a major amount of faith in the gaming industry and believed they could expand and grow off their video games alone, and they were willing to jump through a bunch of hurdles laid by retailers and consumers to release the NES. Believing the video game industry would've recovered without Nintendo takes as much faith as believing hoverboards will become a permanent trend that will flourish for years to come.

It’s absolutely a myth. I’d say NES advanced gaming and win teased the bar for commercial success of dedicated platforms. But saying “Nintendo saved gaming” is hyperbolic nonsense.

I’ve been a Nintendo fan since about the beginning, but there were clearly other platforms popular around that time, Vic 20 and C64 for starters. Granting Nintendo this sort of messiah status is silly. This reminds me of people claiming Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was a full remake; they had to make up the myth of it being something different than what it actually was. Silly fanboyism. We as Nintendo fans don’t need fiction/lies to make it sound greater than it was - what Nintendo achieved with the NES was already phenomenal.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

It’s absolutely a myth. I’d say NES advanced gaming and win teased the bar for commercial success of dedicated platforms. But saying “Nintendo saved gaming” is hyperbolic nonsense.

I’ve been a Nintendo fan since about the beginning, but there were clearly other platforms popular around that time, Vic 20 and C64 for starters. Granting Nintendo this sort of messiah status is silly. This reminds me of people claiming Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition was a full remake; they had to make up the myth of it being something different than what it actually was. Silly fanboyism. We as Nintendo fans don’t need fiction/lies to make it sound greater than it was - what Nintendo achieved with the NES was already phenomenal.

So, how is Commodore doing right now. I'm sure they really are the reason the industry is flourishing as much as it is now and they're still going strong 35 years later.... oh wait they aren't... I would rather put faith that pigs fly than believe that I could leave the hands of the gaming industry to a stupid and dead commodore companyor PC gaming in general. PC gaming was filled with piracy and limited returns and profit with no strict quality control. PC gaming was not the future and would've crashed and burned in Europe as well, or at least the gaming industry wouldn't be nearly as big worldwide, especially since Nintendo is the reason why Playstation exists, which made gaming much bigger in Europe overall. Plus the Gameboy was extremely popular in Europe.

javi741 said:
Jumpin said:

So, how is Commodore doing right now. I'm sure they really are the reason the industry is flourishing as much as it is now and they're still going strong 35 years later.... oh wait they aren't... I would rather put faith that pigs fly than believe that I could leave the hands of the gaming industry to a stupid and dead commodore companyor PC gaming in general. PC gaming was filled with piracy and limited returns and profit with no strict quality control. PC gaming was not the future and would've crashed and burned in Europe as well, or at least the gaming industry wouldn't be nearly as big worldwide, especially since Nintendo is the reason why Playstation exists, which made gaming much bigger in Europe overall. Plus the Gameboy was extremely popular in Europe.

This guy's response is exactly the sort of silly fanboyism I'm talking about. Rather than addressing anything I've said, or addressing the argument of how Nintendo saved gaming, he writes this silly posturing post that has absolutely no relevance to the conversation:

"So, how is Commodore doing right now." he writes, as though this somehow proves that Nintendo saved gaming or proves that Commodore didn't exist in the 1980s.

Thanks for demonstrating the sort of silly fanboyism I was talking about, Javi.

When there is a financial crash, does money cease to exist?

Why do people seemingly assume game consoles would have ceased being a thing after the early 80s gaming crash?

Nintendo’s effort did kickstart the gaming renaissance. But had it not been them, another gaming company would have eventually done it.

The way I see it, Nintendo rescuing gaming and "someone else would've done so at some point if they hadn't" aren't mutually exclusive.

Say you're adrift at sea with no raft or anything, but in an area where fishing ships often go. The first ship to pick you up and pull you alive from the sea can be said to have "rescued" you even if there's a likelihood that if they hadn't, another one might have come along later.

I personally think gaming would still have made a comeback eventually without Nintendo, but it still seems accurate to me to say that the NES drove its resurgence after the 2nd gen crash.

Just the way I see it anyway.

Apparently, the video game crash didn't really happen in North America either. It was more or less just the downfall at the end of the Intellivision and Atari 2600 generation, but that gaming didn't go away in North America - apparently, PC and Arcade gaming were exploding at that time. This doesn't really sound like a gaming industry that needed saving to me.

This guy, who was a gamer through the 80s, clarifies what it's all about. He says the whole idea of the video game industry in North America is false and describes what actually happened.