By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Representative Contacted Vice After Critical Review of The Last of Us 2

Torillian said:
kirby007 said:

I'm not sure what to tell you, if this reviewer gets every game normally and suddenly... right after this review not, thats more then strange or bad luck

I watched the video in question, I don't see him saying he normally gets every game and this is the one time he's been unable to get one. 

just look at the channel history?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

I watched the video in question, I don't see him saying he normally gets every game and this is the one time he's been unable to get one. 

Does he specify the games he gets early review copies of? Because I've reviewed about 100 games and only got maybe 20 of them as review copies. 

Torillian said:
kirby007 said:

Does he specify the games he gets early review copies of? Because I've reviewed about 100 games and only got maybe 20 of them as review copies. 

No he does not, but with +1000 reviews im going with the idea his reach is quite large

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

No he does not, but with +1000 reviews im going with the idea his reach is quite large

mk, well going through the most recent Sony published releases he seems to have gotten FFVR, TLOU2, and Days Gone early but he posted his Death Stranding review 3 days after the official release. Doesn't seem like he gets every single Sony game he goes for. If you can show me otherwise I can concede, but you seem to be making assumptions that he definitely would have gotten GoT if not for his TLOU2 review but seems within the realm of possibility that he just missed out on this one like he did Death Stranding. 

Also, a minor point, but where are you getting 1000+ reviews? He's got 250 in his youtube playlist and I don't see any other places for reviews in there. 

Torillian said:
kirby007 said:

mk, well going through the most recent Sony published releases he seems to have gotten FFVR, TLOU2, and Days Gone early but he posted his Death Stranding review 3 days after the official release. Doesn't seem like he gets every single Sony game he goes for. If you can show me otherwise I can concede, but you seem to be making assumptions that he definitely would have gotten GoT if not for his TLOU2 review but seems within the realm of possibility that he just missed out on this one like he did Death Stranding. 

Also, a minor point, but where are you getting 1000+ reviews? He's got 250 in his youtube playlist and I don't see any other places for reviews in there. 

you might be right, maybe he doesn't get every game, i'll stop pursuing this.
***Going with a assumption here, not meant for this actual discussion : would you release a review on the same day as you posted a review for CoD and Luigi's mansion?***

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

you might be right, maybe he doesn't get every game, i'll stop pursuing this.
***Going with a assumption here, not meant for this actual discussion : would you release a review on the same day as you posted a review for CoD and Luigi's mansion?***

Tough to say, when I reviewed it was part of a larger site and so there were often a couple reviews going up at the same time as mine so I'd just post it up as soon as I wrote it. This could easily be different for someone who is a single person with their own youtube channel. Possible that your viewers can get fatigue and you miss out on some views if you do too many in one day. 

drkohler said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

.. was payed

Where does the idea come from that "payed" is an English word? I noticed it popping up a few years ago and has been making its rounds ever since (and not from foreign speakers only)?

"Payed" is certainly an English word... We use it often in Marine rescue, so it's use is common when dealing with nautical terminology... And thus has existed for centuries.
I.E. He payed the deck. - Which is to cover the deck of the boat with Tar to seal it from water ingress.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've always known that there were shenanigans behind AAA game reviews, but I still find the details interesting.  Looks like Sony is both putting pressure on Metacritic and on the game reviewers themselves.  Of course I say this knowing that Sony is not alone.  It's a huge industry wide problem.  I personally feel most Mario and Zelda games are overrated.  That's why I could say that BotW is an exceptionally good game, but some people didn't believe it at first.  If you look at the reviews, all of the Zelda games are rated high.  So when an actually exceptional game comes along it gets rated the same.  These games don't look any different based on the review scores.

There have been instances where publishers/developers/other parties have almost "blackmailed" critics by no longer providing those outlets with review copies in the future.
So that means those outlets actually couldn't release reviews at the same time as everyone else.

There is probably more unscrupulous stuff going on around the place that we might not be privy to.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 03 July 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

padib said:
Torillian said:

He mentioned that it was unusual, and he reviews tons of games, so it's safe to assume he normally gets every game, at least from Sony.

But to put this one to sleep, he also mentioned that Sony didn't even give him a cordial response to his request, which to him meant that there was something wrong. That's clear in his video.

When you assume you make an ass of you and me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
DonFerrari said:

When you assume you make an ass of you and me.

Sorry, I said "it's safe to assume"? It's an expression in English. I mean that it's blatantly obvious, that all bases are covered.

I know it is an expression in English, still it really isn't safe. That is where the part of reaching and going for accusations come to. We leave the realm of "it is possible that Sony done something they shouldn't" to "Sony is doing something really bad".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

padib said:
@Don, @twintail. You guys are asking me to do all the work for you. Watch the video, all the answers are there.

Don, it's as safe as if I said 1+1 = x. It's safe to assume that x = 2.

Burden of proof, and beyond resonable doubt are two requisites before trying to put a serious accusation.