By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Motion Control was just a fever afterall?

Soundwave said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Nearly all Switch shooters use Gyro aiming.

As an optional thing, it's not even mandated. This is not really something if you came from 2003 and looked at it would be that mind altering. 

You need to be able to use a standard control input (analog stick/d-pad + buttons) to play on virtually any console today for 99%+ of the games being made even on Switch. 

The point is the input still exists, and people still use it. That's all anybody should want. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

As an optional thing, it's not even mandated. This is not really something if you came from 2003 and looked at it would be that mind altering. 

You need to be able to use a standard control input (analog stick/d-pad + buttons) to play on virtually any console today for 99%+ of the games being made even on Switch. 

The point is the input still exists, and people still use it. That's all anybody should want. 

It exists but in such a minor way relative to how it was talked about 12-13 years ago (a revolution that would change gaming entirely) ... that's no where close what console gaming ended up as today.  

Even on Switch, the form factor of the device basically means motion only/motion centric or touch only/touch centric games have to be a minuscule slice of the library. You can't have a portable system with some one waving their arms around on a bus or a plane. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Motion control was such a fad, that it started the main control scheme for what is now being touted as the future of gaming, 14 years later. Yep, sounds like a fad to me.j

The Wii is almost 14 years old, fucking hell I'm old. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Soundwave said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

It exists but in such a minor way relative to how it was talked about 12-13 years ago (a revolution that would change gaming entirely) ... that's no where close what console gaming ended up as today.  

It did. The VR Controllers, Switch Joy-Con, even the fact that most Switch shooters offer a gyro aiming option. 

Even on Switch, the form factor of the device basically means motion only/motion centric or touch only/touch centric games have to be a minuscule slice of the library. You can't have a portable system with some one waving their arms around on a bus or a plane. 

Doesn't change the fact that the feature is still being used, and still a big focus. 

I use Motion controllers a couple times a week, on brand new games with VR on PlayStation and PC.

It is a shame that we don't have Motion Controls supported in more TV based games though. 1st person shooters are best played with motion controls, and titles like Wii Sports and Sports Champions would still have a huge audience today if Nintendo and Sony offered them to the public. I honestly don't know why the market was completely abandonded, especially, when both the PS4 and Switch support motion controls.

I still get asked every couple months from different people still loving their Wii if anything new like the Wii is available. In my opinion, Nintendo and Sony are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Even putting aside Nintendo's games, there are a ton of games on Switch from many developers that use motion controls; Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II & Youngblood, Warframe, Skyrim, Metro Redux, Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2, Outer Worlds, Just Dance, Overwatch, Fortnite, LA Noire, Paladins, Daemon x Machina, Alien Isolation...

If it was a "fad" it would've disappeared entirely by 2010 like so many insisted it would back in 2006-2008.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 June 2020