By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Motion Control was just a fever afterall?

I buy all shooters on Switch mainly because they have gyro aiming where PS4 and X1 do not. In fact, it took some adjustments to get good at TLoU2 because of no gyro aiming for quick fine-tuned shots. It became apparent quick just how much I love the feature and miss it when it is not there.

Also I played arms exclusively with motion controls as well, and enjoyed it quite a bit. So nah, it is not dead. It is not a primary control method used these days, but motion controls still live in a variety of ways.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Its future is mainly VR because it makes sense for VR experiences.

For "regular" gaming it's been relegated to basically an extra additive feature (like aiming/camera movement), virtually all console games have gone back to using buttons as the primary control input, even Switch games, there's very, very few that actually require motion control, 99.5% of the library can be played with standard button input.

It's good for gyro aiming mainly, but the number of "get up and swing the controller around!" games have become few and far in between. 

I remember people also used to say it would become standard in TV remote controls (motion controls) but that never even came close to becoming all that mainstream either.

Soundwave said:

Its future is mainly VR because it makes sense for VR experiences.

For "regular" gaming it's been relegated to basically an extra additive feature (like aiming/camera movement), virtually all console games have gone back to using buttons as the primary control input, even Switch games, there's very, very few that actually require motion control, 99.5% of the library can be played with standard button input.

It's good for gyro aiming mainly, but the number of "get up and swing the controller around!" games have become few and far in between. 

I remember people also used to say it would become standard in TV remote controls (motion controls) but that never even came close to becoming all that mainstream either.

What you talking about, I always have to wave the remote around for the stupid tv to see the infrared codes :p

Motion control for the sake of motion control has luckily left the building. Yet without motion control Beat Saber would simply not exist.

I've been shaking my DS4 to "fix" the flashlight in TLoU2 all week.....

Motion control can be great - but it needs to be utilized in the right way, for the right type of games. If we're talking - motion control being overemphasized and forced upon EVERYTHING, like the Wii, then yes - I think that was just a fad. But the tech certainly isn't going away. It'll just be more like rumble I think - more in the background as a way to supplement the controls of certain games, but not THE control method itself.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

Motion control can be great - but it needs to be utilized in the right way, for the right type of games. If we're talking - motion control being overemphasized and forced upon EVERYTHING, like the Wii, then yes - I think that was just a fad. But the tech certainly isn't going away. It'll just be more like rumble I think - more in the background as a way to supplement the controls of certain games, but not THE control method itself.

There's also VR as well, which is practically all motion. Really, Motion isn't dead, people just learned to use the tech better. Wii-era waggle gimmicks that sub-in for button presses are thankfully dead. But experiences like ARMS and Mario Odyssey's Cappy Controls will still be around, as will things like Gyro aiming. 

RolStoppable said:

The last gen consoles of Sony and Microsoft (PS4 and Xbox One) tried to built on Move and Kinect, respectively. Sony's foray into VR has been commercially underwhelming, so it's no surprise that VR had no presence in the PS5 event earlier this month. 

PS VR was actually very successful for a niche product. It'll be back on PS5, but they're probably still working on a new version of it. PSVR itself didn't arrive until 3 years into the PS4's life, so it's possible PSVR 2 could arrive even sooner than that. 

VR is motion control's future.

As far as "standard console gaming" goes, it's basically like the mid-2000s never happened, to play any modern console, Switch included, you need to be able to use the standard control layout. 

If you time travelled from 2003 and saw modern gaming, the only thing that would probably surprise/shock you would be smartphone gaming, but console gaming not much would seem that different aside from the graphical capabilities of the devices.

Soundwave said:

As far as "standard console gaming" goes, it's basically like the mid-2000s never happened, to play any modern console, Switch included, you need to be reasonable proficient with the standard dual analog control setup.

If you time travelled from 2003 and saw modern gaming, the only thing that would probably surprise/shock you would be smartphone gaming, but console gaming not much would seem that different aside from the graphical capabilities of the devices.

Nearly all Switch shooters use Gyro aiming.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Soundwave said:

As far as "standard console gaming" goes, it's basically like the mid-2000s never happened, to play any modern console, Switch included, you need to be reasonable proficient with the standard dual analog control setup.

Nearly all Switch shooters use Gyro aiming.

As an optional thing, it's not even mandated. This is not really something if you came from 2003 and looked at it would be that mind altering. 

You need to be able to use a standard control input (analog stick/d-pad + buttons) to play on virtually any console today for 99%+ of the games being made even on Switch. 

Maybe 0.01% of the total number of console games being made today are made expressly around motion control, if that? Not exactly a long lasting revolution.