By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Motion Control was just a fever afterall?

OP you must be blind

Around the Network

I think motion controls were a necessary stop gap for VR. Without the work put in years before, it would've taken much longer.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

In terms of them being the main focus and having huge emphasis placed on them, for the most part yes.

Motion control was such a fad, that it started the main control scheme for what is now being touted as the future of gaming, 14 years later. Yep, sounds like a fad to me!

Apart from VR obviously, a lot of people also swear by motion control for GT Sport. Dreams also uses motion control.
Ring fit adventures seems to be selling quite well too.

Around the Network

Nope. As other people stated, its a necessity for VR and is still in use with current gen and next gen consoles. A lot of Switch games use it. Even in PS4, some games use the motion control in the DS4. Take TLOU 2 for example, you are required to shake your controller to rejig your torch when its going out.

Its a good alternate way of adding additional controls that can be quite intuitive and is basically essential for VR.

Not sure. But the Toys to life like Skylanders are a fad.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

That's the tiny-dataset-fallacy people constantly fall for in the gaming community.

You only think so because right now, no manufacturer puts motion controls front and center with their system. It's the same as the illogical claim that "mobile games killed dedicated handhelds", when we only had two systems (3DS and PS Vita) to back up that argument. So, now the Switch is successful... I guess that didn't happen after all?

And the same goes for the motion control claim: Right now motion controls aren't front and center in most games even though there is a steady stream of releases that use them. But it will only take one single game like a hypothetical Switch Sports to prove the claim wrong.

We can't form conclusions based on tiny data sets. But many claims and theories in the gaming community are entirely based on one or two consoles or console generations to extrapolate realities that don't exist: "Nintendo consoles don't sell!" (data set: Gamecube, Wii U...). "Sony consoles always sell best in Europe" (data set: PS1, PS2, PS4... ignoring the PS3, PSP and PS Vita). "Nintendo consoles always sell well in Japan" (data set: DS, 3DS, Switch, etc. ... ignoring GC, N64, 3DS before the price cut).

The Republicans won the 2016 elections. I guess that means the democrats were a fad after all and we won't see them win any elections ever again. 

PS5 comes preloaded with game which shows off the motion controls capabilities. I think we will see it more on PS5, then we did on PS4. They want the controller to be a strong distinguishing factor against Xbox.

Switch has a lot of titles which feature it, unfortunately though handheld play means that developers are not building games around motion controls.

Otter said:
PS5 comes preloaded with game which shows off the motion controls capabilities. I think we will see it more on PS5, then we did on PS4. They want the controller to be a strong distinguishing factor against Xbox.

Switch has a lot of titles which feature it, unfortunately though handheld play means that developers are not building games around motion controls.

But it's fun holding the switch upside down trying to make a trick shot in botw, contorting yourself to see what's going on. BotW fit edition :)

Motion controls are tricky on handhelds, especially while playing in a moving vehicle haha.