By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80

I thought Microsoft said 1-2 years ago Sony is no longer their competitor, because what they are going for is the user experience or whatever crap they made up. (Much like the monthly user engagement numbers instead of direct sale numbers)

So why are they suddenly saying they are confident to beat out the competition... lol../

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
I thought Microsoft said 1-2 years ago Sony is no longer their competitor, because what they are going for is the user experience or whatever crap they made up. (Much like the monthly user engagement numbers instead of direct sale numbers)

So why are they suddenly saying they are confident to beat out the competition... lol../

because stadia is shit

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

zero129 said:

You really are going into damage control must be worried about something to be down playing ms so much.

Looks more like you're on the defensive lol.

My point with the Witcher 3 is, how is it scaling well when you get crap like that. Nor can I use the mouse properly on the PC version, inventory UI made with consoles in mind sucks on PC. Although TW2 on PC already was pretty bad with a mouse while that wasn't ported down till much later. But maybe they already made it with consoles in mind.

I went to consoles for simplicity and tailor made optimized experiences. Nintendo tries to make games to run both on handhelds and TVs, MS tries to make games that run both on monitors and TVs. I like to game on TV and VR, seems on obvious choice next gen. (Yes I've played PC games on TV, it is possible, it is not simplicity nor are all PC games made with overscan areas and proper font size in mind)

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

And if they aren't them you are going to mock Xbox fans because a system with more power doesn't have more impressive games?

Yes then i would also join the bandwagon that xbsx is being held back etc etc.

But i guess i have patients to wait for July .

Ok. Guess May event with optmized for XSX wasn't enough then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

Around the Network
padib said:

@bold. Yeah, flight simulator is an example of a game that in my opinion is really unique. There are others of course but that one to me stands out like a really good example.

About VR, I'm a fan personally, but for me Steam is the destination for VR, and if MS chose not to do it, it may be because they don't see it as profitable for them, yet. It is possible that MS join Facebook in the medium future, since you know they merged mixer accounts with Facebook gaming. As for your DS4, that's unfortunate, but to me the 360/X1 controllers are the way to go for PC gaming since a while. 

I know that digital doesn't support everything, but things are being supported more and more over time so in due time we will see it as a decent platform to find pretty much everything.

In the end, I think that MS is in the right place. They are pushing game development, they want to respect the history of the industry, they are making games more accessible in their own way, and I think it's the right move and it will pay off for them in the end. I also believe that they will offer Sony much better competition this gen, more like the 360 did, because of these decisions, and I will be watching them with anticipation. Because to me, a Sony on their toes is a better Sony, same goes for Nintendo.

Definitely that last part.

I've been playing flight simulator since the 80's, but stopped with the series when MS went with Microsoft flight instead of a next mainline flight simulator. Luckily they're finally back on track, perhaps Age of Empires will go back to normal as well, we'll see in 2021. Those are games I want to play on a monitor with all those drop down menus and fiddly cockpit controls :) VR would be nice for flight simulator as well yet I doubt the headset resolution will do it justice.

It's hard to believe FSX came out in 2006 and AoE 3 in 2005, it's been a long wait!

Now on the console side bring back Project Gotham and Rallisport challenge.

Meh. Seems like just more and more secret sauce every year, but practically it always comes back to Halo and the usual suspects. Well, it's going to be interesting to have them wrestle with Google and Amazon and see what comes out of it in the end and who's left standing. Sony can keep doing what they are doing while taking notes.

shikamaru317 said:
KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

How is the focus not on more exclusives? They have more 1st party studios and teams than they have ever had at any point in their 20 year history as a gaming company. 15 studios and somewhere around 22 or more individual teams within those 15 studios. Plus they have numerous 2nd party games in development through Xbox Global Publishing.

As a hardcore Nintendo gamer, I'm excited for MS! Nothing beats 1st party games!

zero129 said:
KratosLives said:

I guess all them studios MS brought must be working on the cloud then.

Yes I know. Still MS chose those games to show. PS event also had plenty of 3rd party games and outside of the Indies (that looked damn fine) the 3rd party ones looked much more impressive than the ones on MS May event.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zero129 said:

I guess all them studios MS brought must be working on the cloud then.

Yes I know. Still MS chose those games to show. PS event also had plenty of 3rd party games and outside of the Indies (that looked damn fine) the 3rd party ones looked much more impressive than the ones on MS May event.

Opinion

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.