By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer confident after seeing PS5 presentation - Gamelab 2020 interview

How do you think MS will perform at the July presentation?

MS will be in a league of its own 5 6.25%

MS will do better than the PS5 presentation 14 17.50%

MS will do as good as the PS5 presentation 13 16.25%

MS will do less well than... 48 60.00%

Total:80
Drakrami said:
I thought Microsoft said 1-2 years ago Sony is no longer their competitor, because what they are going for is the user experience or whatever crap they made up. (Much like the monthly user engagement numbers instead of direct sale numbers)

So why are they suddenly saying they are confident to beat out the competition... lol../

MS was referring to the game streaming space and how in 10 years that will be a much bigger market. In that regard, Google and Amazon are the only companies in the world that can remotely compete with Xcloud. Stadia is bad, but who knows if Google can turn it around and Amazon has yet to play their hand. 

Sony, and I must stress I’m only talking in this regard, is not competition because they are a customer. They made some agreement with Ms which includes using their cloud services. Point being PS Now can be bigger then Xcloud but the more success they have is literally more money in MSs pocket. They aren’t competition because they are paying MS $$$ for the privilege to compete in the first place. 

However in the traditional console space, nothing has changed and they are still very much the company for Ms to beat. It’s all context. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
zero129 said:

Yes then i would also join the bandwagon that xbsx is being held back etc etc.

But i guess i have patients to wait for July .

Ok. Guess May event with optmized for XSX wasn't enough then.

Lol it really wasn’t. Even for someone like me it was like I was blue balled. Sure the games looked interesting but the fast gameplay cuts weren’t ideal. 

There were some nuggets that to me stood out. Things like Dirt being 120fps. With Sony seemingly fixated on locking their games at 30fps, it’s nice to know that MS is committed to pushing the FPS beyond the current gen limits with a targeted 60 FPS minimum for 1st party. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ok. Guess May event with optmized for XSX wasn't enough then.

Lol it really wasn’t. Even for someone like me it was like I was blue balled. Sure the games looked interesting but the fast gameplay cuts weren’t ideal. 

There were some nuggets that to me stood out. Things like Dirt being 120fps. With Sony seemingly fixated on locking their games at 30fps, it’s nice to know that MS is committed to pushing the FPS beyond the current gen limits with a targeted 60 FPS minimum for 1st party. 

Dirty will likely be 120fps on PS5 as well. Most Sony games don't really benefit going 60fps so it will stay on 30fps, but GT7 and some others will be 60fps (Kazunori Yamauchi said he wanted to go even higher than 120fps).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

We’ll that’s just FUD. MS has been very clear July is about 1st party with some high profile 3rd party sprinkled in there. This isn’t even vague, it’s been confirmed by numerous sources that’s the goal.

They have the other months to give updates on Xcloud and Game Pass. They made it very clear they are doing monthly announcements. 

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Dirty will likely be 120fps on PS5 as well. Most Sony games don't really benefit going 60fps so it will stay on 30fps, but GT7 and some others will be 60fps (Kazunori Yamauchi said he wanted to go even higher than 120fps).

Well that’s good news for you with GT7. Glad 30fps isn’t a mandate they are strictly following. 

Otherwise I dunno, playing Halo at 30 and 60 is night and day. I get it, sacrifice FPS for higher graphical fidelity. It’s a trade off but I the “feel” is definitely worth it IMO. 

Around the Network

Microsoft need to hype up their next-gen console, for us playstation gamers, Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon zero dawn 2 brings much hype.

What does Xbox have?

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

sales2099 said:
KratosLives said:
And still the focus is not on more exclusives, but clouds, subscription models and competing with google . This will be the demise all over again

We’ll that’s just FUD. MS has been very clear July is about 1st party with some high profile 3rd party sprinkled in there. This isn’t even vague, it’s been confirmed by numerous sources that’s the goal.

They have the other months to give updates on Xcloud and Game Pass. They made it very clear they are doing monthly announcements. 

If the event is long enough I do expect them to give some info on both, maybe 10min total and that wouldn't be a problem. But yes at the moment people want to see games and MS seems to be planned on that.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well that’s good news for you with GT7. Glad 30fps isn’t a mandate they are strictly following. 

Otherwise I dunno, playing Halo at 30 and 60 is night and day. I get it, sacrifice FPS for higher graphical fidelity. It’s a trade off but I the “feel” is definitely worth it IMO. 

faster games, competitive, fps, fighting, racing really benefits from 60fps and for exclusives even 120fps. For cinematic and similars I guess 30fps is better so more eye candy is given =]

One good thing about MS and Sony consoles is that they receive so much 3rd party games and they have so big a weight that neither can mandate that all games are of a specific resolution or framerate. The most they could do last gen is demand that the games worked on base model and weren't inferior on the stronger one (which is obvious demands since 2/3 to 3/4 of the consoles sold in total were baseline, and also you shouldn't have a worse version on the stronger console). So for this gen I do believe MS will push 60fps on their titles (most of their games benefit from it) but won't demand from 3rd parties that their games are, this is the reason I have said from start that 60fps won't be the standard on no console on 9th gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I watched the Xbox SX first look a few days ago (bought a new Samsung and was looking for impressive 4k videos to watch) and it really wasn't that bad. It just lacked the sizzle that Sony's show had. With some good ideas and some good gameplay, M$ could be set to impress. The ball's in their court.

I just wanna shoot people at even odds and not blame pc gamers for having an advantage

edit: noticed i missed the bolded

Last edited by kirby007 - on 29 June 2020

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Trumpstyle said:
Microsoft need to hype up their next-gen console, for us playstation gamers, Spiderman: Miles Morales and Horizon zero dawn 2 brings much hype.

What does Xbox have?

The obvious answer is to hold judgment until the July event. 

Luckily MS has announced several games before hand. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Grounded, Hellblade 2, Project Mara. 5 games and each a different genre. Hopefully we see something from each game. 

We know the next Forza Motorsport and Horizon is in development. Obsidian and Playground are making a AAA RPG each. The Initiative is a unproven studio but expected to reveal their first AAA title. 

A-AA studios are expected to make announcements like Undead Labs, Compulsion, and Double Fine. 

And I can’t stress enough Halo Infinite’s launch goes hand in hand with Series X. It’s marketing, when it kicks in, will be a sight to see. It’s a 5 year game as opposed to 3 with the purpose to drive console sales and Game Pass subs. All signs point to it being the biggest game by far in the series and one of the most expensive games ever made.