By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UK Charts : TLOU Part II is The Biggest Launch This Year By Far (Beating Animal Crossing)

KLAMarine said:
Zyphe said:
I'm sure it cant outsell Animal Crossing New Horizons Worldwide when all is said and done.

10 posts in nine years. Where have you been my dude?

He will reply to you next year

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You can explain the reason why Nintendo games keep selling millions at $60 after 4 years then.

There is less competition on the Switch in terms of third party releases. 

nothing to do with that at all

tbone51 said:
PotentHerbs said:

It definitely plays a part in it. 

There are more 10 Million+ sellers on PS4 from third parties, compared to 10 Million+ third party releases on Nintendo, that Sony first party has to compete with on a year round basis. Sony has to price cut their games quicker than Nintendo because of this factor. 

The person I replied to was downplaying TLOU: Part II for having the potential to reach 20 Million because it would need price cuts to do it. 

That is a very good indication that biggest opening for a PS exclusive ever, but that was expected as TLOU2 is also expected to have the biggest LT sales for PS exclusive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hunter_alien said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Um, TLOU2: 195k launched opening higher around ~50k than AC in UK.

Japan, on the other hand, AC 1.9M vs ~ TLOU2 150k 

Should there is a thread about Japan sales number of both games too, don't you agree?

What are you talking about? Why are you derailing the thread with every one of your posts? Have you seen the thread title? It's a sales discussion about the opening week of TLoU2 in the UK and the original poster gave us the yearly reference numbers that are discussed industry-wide. Why are you being so protective about something that was obviously not an attack on your preferred game? 

Do you care about how well this game performed compared to others? Or based on your expectations? If not, what are you still doing here?

Seriously, it's kind-off hard to actually have a valid discussion about how well TLoU2 is doing on a SALES site with all the derailing going on here. I honestly thought that the average VGC user was above this, but it seems I was wrong.

Bold: I reckon that's part of the reason why fewer people participate in these threads. At least it's why I don't bother.

I signed up on VGC to discuss sales numbers. Nowadays, such talk often drowns in petty downplaying/derailing. It's unfortunate.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
tbone51 said:

There are more 10 Million+ sellers on PS4 from third parties, compared to 10 Million+ third party releases on Nintendo, that Sony first party has to compete with on a year round basis. Sony has to price cut their games quicker than Nintendo because of this factor. 

The person I replied to was downplaying TLOU: Part II for having the potential to reach 20 Million because it would need price cuts to do it. 

The reality is Sony doesn't have to price cut their games  and inversely Nintendo could choose to cut the price on most of their releases, even Mario Kart would sell even more with a price cut. It's just a different approach from both companies.

The idea that Nintendo keeps the $60 price tag because their games sell indefinitely is a myth. Not every Nintendo game is Mario Kart or Pokemon. Nintendo games have great legs but the majority of the 40+ games they've publsihed on Switch have sold 5m or under. Nintendo keep price high both as branding strategy (seal of quality) and a revenue strategy. Links Awakening and Luigi's Mansion are two successful games that have fallen off the charts and could definitely afford a price cut to get them selling better, but Nintendo is comfortable letting them sell 5-8m at full price, then selling 8-11m at a lower price. 

Sony and others could do the same but that would create a far less healthy climate considering the number of AAA games on Playstation 4. This way their are far more games purchases in general and success is more evenly spread amongst publishers. From a consumer stand point its also great. When I got my PS4 I bought Uncharted 4, FFXV and Witcher 3 for the price of one Nintendo game. The translates directly into the fact that I only buy like 2 Switch games per year and they're always from Nintendo. 

HoangNhatAnh said:
CGI-Quality said:

Passing Animal Crossing is the relevant info. We can argue semantics about the OP's thread title, but it is what it is. I don't see much wrong with it, unlike comparing prices of games that have no relevance to the discussion.

Should there is a thread about Japan sales number of both games too, don't you agree?

You could do your thread about that or about WW numbers when they release, but then again response threads are forbidden.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

But we compare both games in a UK sales thread, why not compare them in a JP sales thread too? I'm just asking, you know. Unless there is a legit reason why a thread about it couldn't be made, of course.

TLOU is not a competitive franchise in the Japan so such a thread would be pointless.

It'll be like someone making a thread that THLOU2 sold 20x Xenoblade in the UK, no one would do it because it would be a dumb comparison. Animal Crossing however was a monster launch across the globe, so the comparison gives you an idea of how big TLOU2's launch was in the UK because AC was another huge launch recently.

Basically it would be a case of two threads being "TLOU2 launch was bigger than the previous biggest launch" which will have somewhat interesting discussion. The other could be made like 20 or more threads with "TLOU2 launch was smaller than XXX game in Japan", with those XXX games being a very big number of different games.

Great to hear! The Last of Us 2 is my Game of the Year too, currently (together with Persona 5 Royal) :)
The love to detail and the hard work of the developers are really impressive. Every night is very exciting, Story/Characters are interesting and the gameplay rocks!

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

It will reach 20mil with many price cuts and give away like the 1st game, of course.

99% of successful games with great legs cannot reach 20m despite of any kind of price cut or bundle so how exactly does this support your argument that it will have terrible legs?

What are you talking about? I never said anything about terrible legs.

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

But we compare both games in a UK sales thread, why not compare them in a JP sales thread too? I'm just asking, you know. Unless there is a legit reason why a thread about it couldn't be made, of course.

TLOU is not a competitive franchise in the Japan so such a thread would be pointless.

It'll be like someone making a thread that THLOU2 sold 20x Xenoblade in the UK, no one would do it because it would be a dumb comparison. Animal Crossing however was a monster launch across the globe, so the comparison gives you an idea of how big TLOU2's launch was in the UK because AC was another huge launch recently.

But EU is Sony land, who would have thought.

PotentHerbs said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You can explain the reason why Nintendo games keep selling millions at $60 after 4 years then.

Don't know about that, even in NES/SNES era, Nintendo games always sold the most at full price for a very long time.

Also, how many of these games are 1st party?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/?pv=true#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Nintendo%20Switch

Otter said:
PotentHerbs said:

The reality is Sony doesn't have to price cut their games  and inversely Nintendo could choose to cut the price on most of their releases, even Mario Kart would sell even more with a price cut. It's just a different approach from both companies.

The idea that Nintendo keeps the $60 price tag because their games sell indefinitely is a myth. Not every Nintendo game is Mario Kart or Pokemon. Nintendo games have great legs but the majority of the 40+ games they've publsihed on Switch have sold 5m or under. Nintendo keep price high both as branding strategy (seal of quality) and a revenue strategy. Links Awakening and Luigi's Mansion are two successful games that have fallen off the charts and could definitely afford a price cut to get them selling better, but Nintendo is comfortable letting them sell 5-8m at full price, then selling 8-11m at a lower price. 

Sony and others could do the same but that would create a far less healthy climate considering the number of AAA games on Playstation 4. This way their are far more games purchases in general and success is more evenly spread amongst publishers. From a consumer stand point its also great. When I got my PS4 I bought Uncharted 4, FFXV and Witcher 3 for the price of one Nintendo game. The translates directly into the fact that I only buy like 2 Switch games per year and they're always from Nintendo. 

About your "reality", i only know some Nintendo big games keep selling millions at full price after 3-4, even 5 years. I haven't seen that happened to any Sony game.

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

You could do your thread about that or about WW numbers when they release, but then again response threads are forbidden.

I'm only asking about it, other Nintendo fans will do it if necessary because i don't even need that thread for now.