Forums - Gaming Discussion - UK Charts : TLOU Part II is The Biggest Launch This Year By Far (Beating Animal Crossing)

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

What are you talking about? I never said anything about terrible legs.

But EU is Sony land, who would have thought.

Don't know about that, even in NES/SNES era, Nintendo games always sold the most at full price for a very long time.

Also, how many of these games are 1st party?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/?pv=true#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Nintendo%20Switch

About your "reality", i only know some Nintendo big games keep selling millions at full price after 3-4, even 5 years. I haven't seen that happened to any Sony game.

I'm only asking about it, other Nintendo fans will do it if necessary because i don't even need that thread for now.

And I explained why such a thread shouldn't be created. And you saying other Nintendo fans would do and that you don't need it FOR NOW seems like you really wanted to have it as response thread because you don't like this thread with a game outselling AC, for what reason did you ask then?

I asked it to prepare for the future. But now? Not even necessary :))

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

But EU is Sony land, who would have thought.

Don't know about that, even in NES/SNES era, Nintendo games always sold the most at full price for a very long time.

Also, how many of these games are 1st party?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/?pv=true#filter/:q=&dFR[platform][0]=Nintendo%20Switch

About your "reality", i only know some Nintendo big games keep selling millions at full price after 3-4, even 5 years. I haven't seen that happened to any Sony game.

The UK is not Sony Land which is why the 360 outsold the PS3.

And irregardless of current leadership, Animal Crossing was a huge release in the market so this gives context to what TLOU2 sales were like. I don't know why thats triggering you lol. No one is picking on AC.

About my "reality".... its objective fact. Arms is sitting $59 on the Estore, despite sales not setting the world on fire. Nintendo does not cut price of software in response to declining sales.


Meanwhile Uncharted 4 already had price cuts and deals in year one where it sold in excess of 8m, more than 2x ARMS life time to date. Sony cuts price routinely and must cater to a more heavy release schedule of flagship titles (hence why PS4's software attachment ratio >>>> Switch). 


These are things we know ;)


-One exception doesn't make it became MS land or Nintendo land. Beside, Sony software still sold the most there compared to the other twos.

-There are a lot more ps4 than Switch out there.

-Bold: Look at the title :))

-Arms won't sell much anyway, many new Nintendo IPs didn't become a success in the past. Better example is Splatoon, a new IP too, but sold very well at full price.

-Comparing U4 - one of the biggest and very popular Sony franchise to Arms - a completely new IP.  OH WOW amazing.

These are things we know too but look like you don't =))



Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

And I explained why such a thread shouldn't be created. And you saying other Nintendo fans would do and that you don't need it FOR NOW seems like you really wanted to have it as response thread because you don't like this thread with a game outselling AC, for what reason did you ask then?

I asked it to prepare for the future. But now? Not even necessary :))

Otter said:

-One exception doesn't make it became MS land or Nintendo land. Beside, Sony software still sold the most there compared to the other twos.

-There are a lot more ps4 than Switch out there.

-Bold: Look at the title :))

-Arms won't sell much anyway, many new Nintendo IPs didn't become a success in the past. Better example is Splatoon, a new IP too, but sold very well at full price.

-Comparing U4 - one of the biggest and very popular Sony franchise to Arms - a completely new IP.  OH WOW amazing.

These are things we know too but look like you don't =))

In FY 16 alone PS4 had 217m Software sales, the Switch life to date has had 350m. More software is sold on playstation 4 hardware, even when launches are aligned. 

And you miss the point entirely, the comparison is not there to shit on Arms (a game I own and enjoy) its to highlight that Nintendo and Sony's pricing strategy is not primarily determined by whether X or Y game is selling well. ARMS would sell much better at a reduced price and introduce more people to the franchise, whilst reinvigorating the online space... but alas Nintendo has rigid pricing strategy which is driven around brand perception and keeping value high. Sony takes a different approach and is comfortable cutting the price of their biggest selling IPs, whilst they are still charting months after launch. The ecosystems on each platform are very different, as is their revenue models.

 




HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

And I explained why such a thread shouldn't be created. And you saying other Nintendo fans would do and that you don't need it FOR NOW seems like you really wanted to have it as response thread because you don't like this thread with a game outselling AC, for what reason did you ask then?

I asked it to prepare for the future. But now? Not even necessary :))

Otter said:

The UK is not Sony Land which is why the 360 outsold the PS3.

And irregardless of current leadership, Animal Crossing was a huge release in the market so this gives context to what TLOU2 sales were like. I don't know why thats triggering you lol. No one is picking on AC.

About my "reality".... its objective fact. Arms is sitting $59 on the Estore, despite sales not setting the world on fire. Nintendo does not cut price of software in response to declining sales.


Meanwhile Uncharted 4 already had price cuts and deals in year one where it sold in excess of 8m, more than 2x ARMS life time to date. Sony cuts price routinely and must cater to a more heavy release schedule of flagship titles (hence why PS4's software attachment ratio >>>> Switch). 


These are things we know ;)


-One exception doesn't make it became MS land or Nintendo land. Beside, Sony software still sold the most there compared to the other twos.

-There are a lot more ps4 than Switch out there.

-Bold: Look at the title :))

-Arms won't sell much anyway, many new Nintendo IPs didn't become a success in the past. Better example is Splatoon, a new IP too, but sold very well at full price.

-Comparing U4 - one of the biggest and very popular Sony franchise to Arms - a completely new IP.  OH WOW amazing.

These are things we know too but look like you don't =))

Prepare to what?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

The game got the buzz, the game got the good sales. I don't think anyone here should act surprised in this regard.

Sony will probably feel eager to reveal early numbers soon for the worldwide release if it actually ends up getting every other opening on their platform.

Personally, I don't think it will beat Spiderman opening in the US at least, it's just too big and TLOU doesn't carry the same brand strength as Spiderman does.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I asked it to prepare for the future. But now? Not even necessary :))

-One exception doesn't make it became MS land or Nintendo land. Beside, Sony software still sold the most there compared to the other twos.

-There are a lot more ps4 than Switch out there.

-Bold: Look at the title :))

-Arms won't sell much anyway, many new Nintendo IPs didn't become a success in the past. Better example is Splatoon, a new IP too, but sold very well at full price.

-Comparing U4 - one of the biggest and very popular Sony franchise to Arms - a completely new IP.  OH WOW amazing.

These are things we know too but look like you don't =))

In FY 16 alone PS4 had 217m Software sales, the Switch life to date has had 350m. More software is sold on playstation 4 hardware, even when launches are aligned

And you miss the point entirely, the comparison is not there to shit on Arms (a game I own and enjoy) its to highlight that Nintendo and Sony's pricing strategy is not primarily determined by whether X or Y game is selling well. ARMS would sell much better at a reduced price and introduce more people to the franchise, whilst reinvigorating the online space... but alas Nintendo has rigid pricing strategy which is driven around brand perception and keeping value high. Sony takes a different approach and is comfortable cutting the price of their biggest selling IPs, whilst they are still charting months after launch. The ecosystems on each platform are very different, as is their revenue models.

 


Bold: obviously, one was released in holiday, one was released in spring, nice try :))

2nd bold: there is no proof for it. The price will always be $60, if it sells, it sells, done. Look at Splatoon or Super Smash Bros 64 sales :))

3rd bold: agree, Nintendo software have very high value compare to the rest so several games can still sell millions at $60 even after 4-5 years.

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I asked it to prepare for the future. But now? Not even necessary :))

-One exception doesn't make it became MS land or Nintendo land. Beside, Sony software still sold the most there compared to the other twos.

-There are a lot more ps4 than Switch out there.

-Bold: Look at the title :))

-Arms won't sell much anyway, many new Nintendo IPs didn't become a success in the past. Better example is Splatoon, a new IP too, but sold very well at full price.

-Comparing U4 - one of the biggest and very popular Sony franchise to Arms - a completely new IP.  OH WOW amazing.

These are things we know too but look like you don't =))

Prepare to what?

You will know when that time come :))

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 23 June 2020

Around the Network

Yeah, I expected this. Pretty sure PS4 is bigger in UK than Switch is, and Sony overall is bigger there than Nintendo so the fact that Animal Crossing was the game it beat is still flattering to both games really. I'll be interested to see WW sales comparisons and of course in the longterm lifetime sales.



This game will sell 15 million+ units easily,now that it is confirmed BC with PS5, which will probably start a bit slow with exclusive software anyway. A few negative reviews will not change that.



Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Otter is right.

PS4 has so much software sales than the SW that its almost in a different league. PS4 LTD in software will be 1.5 billion. Sony doesn't mind cutting price as the entire point is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as they will continue spending money on software.

Nintendo purposely price guards its releases so it doesn't hurt its bottom line. They entire revenue stream is completely dependant on first party sales unlike the PS4 which has great 1st party and third party sales.



src said:
Otter is right.

PS4 has so much software sales than the SW that its almost in a different league. PS4 LTD in software will be 1.5 billion. Sony doesn't mind cutting price as the entire point is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as they will continue spending money on software.

Nintendo purposely price guards its releases so it doesn't hurt its bottom line. They entire revenue stream is completely dependant on first party sales unlike the PS4 which has great 1st party and third party sales.

PS4 already crossed 1.5B in SW sold.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

src said:
Otter is right.

PS4 has so much software sales than the SW that its almost in a different league. PS4 LTD in software will be 1.5 billion. Sony doesn't mind cutting price as the entire point is to bring as many people into the ecosystem as they will continue spending money on software.

Nintendo purposely price guards its releases so it doesn't hurt its bottom line. They entire revenue stream is completely dependant on first party sales unlike the PS4 which has great 1st party and third party sales.

Yeah, with just 1st party games, Nintendo can still survive very well without relying on 3rd parties, but Sony? No way they can do that. Agree with you.

❌ THREAD BAN (1 Month): continued, needless trolling, spinning what people say, initial thread derail ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 24 June 2020