Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console-WAR becomes Religion oO Meta in big criticism, needs new rules!

ClassicGamingWizzz said: 
Shiken said: 

What are you on about?

Games get review bombed all the time, especially when divisive.  When it happens to Nintendo or XBox games, fans are told that most of them probably did not like the game and are allowed to have their opinions.  Then when it happens to a Sony game, comments like this come up...the double standard is comical.

Bottom line is that when this shit happens, just enjoy the game if you like it.  Review bombs did not stop BotW from being my game of the generation, nor will they stop me from enjoying TLoU2.  I will be starting the game tonight, and if I end up not liking it I can assure you that user reviews are not the reason why.

I dont know who the hell you talking to and why you quoted me , this review bombing has nothing to do with console wars or fans upset, its coming from a group we all know its been mentioned already here and we all know they didnt play shit.

Ah you are talking about political review bombing.  I never saw the spoilers so I cannot comment, as I will be going into the game 100% blind.  If people are giving out 0s and 1s over political crap, they are no better than the people who shove agendas down our throats to begin with.  I play games, not politics and will be avoiding any discussion regarding them.

If anything, I am now curious to see what has them so worked up lol.  I will see later tonight.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:

TLoU 2 review bombing has nothing to do with console wars at all. And considering how low it's user score currently is, it just proves that it has nothing to do with the console wars. The current state of the console market guarantees Sony the majority that will be able to push the score in a positive range in console war scenario.

As for Metacritic itself, it has been known for quite a long time that it's user score can't be taken seriously with a lot of troll scores like "0", "1" and "10". That system is broken so I'm not sure why would anyone even want to use Metacritic "user score" to decide whether the game is good or bad. On a side note, the same can actually be said about "Critic" score. It's all subjective because critics are also just normal people that have their tastes. Which quite often causes some games to be underappreciated by them and some games being overrated for whatever reason.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I still have my dream site, where everybody goes to review music, games, etc. The site limits you to so many reviews per year, and so many scores of 10,9,8, etc. per year. You could upvote good user reviews, and comment. You can't post reviews yourself until you've reached 100 posts. A 10/10, or 0/10 would be limited to one per 5 years per account. So if you want to give a game a 0/10 or a 10/10 on there, you are using up one of your once every five years scores.

All professional critics are, are people that have some experience with the medium, and are mature enough to put a reasonable score out there. By experience with the medium, I mean people that actually like games as a hobby, and have played a ton of games.

As of right now, I think scores on Opencritic are pretty accurate to an 8 point degree. For example: If a game is rated 81, I could find it to be a anywhere from 73 to 89. If you remove some of the shittier outlets like Metro, or Edge, or Slant, from the aggregate score, then Opencritic becomes accurate to a 5 point degree for me. That does require slowly recalculating the entire aggregate by hand, without the troll reviews. For example: After recalculating the aggregate minus troll critics, you might have a game go from 79 to 82. This would make that 82 rated game to be anywhere from 78 to 87 for me.

Oh, and people that think critic reviews are utterly useless, probably haven't played as many games as the critics. It's easy to be impressed by a competent Hack n' Slash if its your first hack n' slash game ever. Or they see a game from a genre they hate, and think "I hate that game, therefore the critics are wrong". Reviews aren't written for people that don't like the genre of game that's being reviewed. Some people will simply like nothing more than western AAA games, and so they can't understand why Nintendo, Indies, or JRPGs get so much love from critics. Some people never touch western AAA games and can't understand why those games get love from critics. Other people think that the full 10 point scale should be used, and since critics generally only use scores of 6-10, they think that critics don't know what they're talking about. In reality it's just a difference of opinion on how a scoring scale should be used.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a user-reviews site, like the one I outlined above. If it were good enough, and influential enough, the industry could step away from relying on critics.

100 posts is a very harsh limitation. I would propose the better system but unfortunately it will probably only work with Steam/Xbox/PS games. Just require Steam/XBL/PSN integration and check that a certain achievement was gained by the user on account. Almost all games have "completion" achievements which can be used as a requirement to post a review for such game.

Yeah that would work a lot better!

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
PS fan : last of US is getting review bombed

Same old vgchartz users: PS FANS ARE SHIT

RENT FREE in their heads!!!

Why do you think it’s mostly Xbox gamers? If you read them and not cherry pick, they are complaining about the story and Neil Druckman in general. An Xbox gamer has no reason to crap on Neil Druckman. 

Saw this on twitter a moment ago, made me laugh:

https://twitter.com/gamergeekstodd/status/1274228192232996864?s=21

To any mods, this is because I won’t have my fan group be a scapegoat to all this. We are but spectators. The only way we can combat the narrative is to give examples.

With the link, the guy statistically being a Xbox fan is unlikely given the text language, doubly so doing a stream play through of LOU2.

Around the Network

I think the story stinks and the feelings are justified. "us vs them" is a minor-ish factor this time. Neil Drukmann (a self-described "character torturer" who also views diversity as a "pillar" of equal importance to gameplay, visuals, and story) cheaply evoked the wrong kind of emotions from the player, and it backfired big time. Many of us just can't fully appreciate the amazing aspects of the game coz we're carrying those feelings of anger, disappointment, sadness etc as we play through it. I for one started feeling numb and somewhat nauseous just 2 or 3 hours in, and it only got worse from there on. It's especially bad for those who saw the leaks and later the major plot points and ending.

In my opinion, it’s all justified. TLOU2 even as far as gameplay goes is in no way revolutionary, evolutionary, or even better than the original unless it drastically gets better towards the end. I despise this game and I really think this is a bigger failure for the industry than anything gamergate was about. I might give it a 0 on metacritic if I feel this way at the end of it. FF7r has many flaws that I’m not afraid to talk about, but it was miles better in every way. This game is miserable and boring at the same time. GOTY is far away, but if this wins over FF7r it says a lot about the games industry.

TLOU Part II is definitely getting reviewed bombed but there are valid reasons why fans of the original feel would feel disappointed. However, it does seem like review bombing has been taken to another level, and it will be harder to distinguish honest criticism from a political agenda.

Its too bad we won't be able to get any meaningful discourse about it like the original.

sales2099 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
PS fan : last of US is getting review bombed

Same old vgchartz users: PS FANS ARE SHIT

RENT FREE in their heads!!!

Why do you think it’s mostly Xbox gamers? If you read them and not cherry pick, they are complaining about the story and Neil Druckman in general. An Xbox gamer has no reason to crap on Neil Druckman. 

You blind, drunk or smoked too Much of that good stuff?

First i didnt even talked about Xbox gamers second do you think i give three shits to bother to read What some loser that didnt even played the game as too say in their 0/10 "review"?

User was banned for this comment - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 22 June 2020

kazuyamishima said:
Statements like“the scores are coming from fans that are displaced with the game” are far from the whole True when the minute the user score went live the review bombing started for a game that is 25-30 hours or more longer.

Around 6-7 hours into it, I can say that it’s improved in most ways compared to the original, hence there’s no explanation why people are just giving it 0/10 and 1/10 with only using the same words as “forced agenda” or “ND destroyed my childhood”

I was one of the many not happy about the leaks, but once you play it you can clearly see that ND put a lot of effort on it.
There are many crappy games that don’t have user scores so low as this game.

But at the end, user scores, troll or not, are just opinions.

This is my take on it too. 

The fans of the original, who are displeased with the sequel, aren't posting nonsensical 0/10 & 1/10 review scores. It seems in popular forums like the PS4 subreddit, there is a noticeable divisiveness, but it seems like the majority of people are enjoying it.