By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 39 41.94%

Yes 54 58.06%

Total:93
the-pi-guy said:
Mummelmann said:

You think that girl is clean? The video more or less proves his point, it's extremely hard for women to build significant mass in the upper body, especially shoulders and arms. I know a couple of dozen girls who look more or less like that, none of which have gone without chemical aid. Female powerlifters usually have great squat and deadlift numbers, but comparatively low benchpress numbers, this is due to the mentioned discrepancy in muscle mass of the upper body and bench not getting the same direct benefit from strong legs (besides the grounding when you arch). Heavier division lifters tend to be large overall, with a much greater percentage of body fat, as females are more prone to both gaining and retaining fat naturally. A large, muscular upper body with low fat and good vascularity is nigh on impossible, even most men have problems accomplishing this.

Edit; for further example, look at the differences in female lifters in the IPF, and then the WPC (the latter group is not tested, and it shows) and their overall body composition, especially the lower weight classes.

There are plenty of girls in the IPF that look just as buff as Abby is.  

Even in the game there aren't really any women that are as strong as Abby.  One strong woman in a universe isn't implausible.  

Zoombael said:

It would also provide a target for the twitter-PC-brigade.

"ND implies women can only have gains by cheating"

#NaughtyDogHatesWomen

In games like God Of War, Diablo etc. this would be a non issue. But ND themselves set a bar for authenticity and realism.

Have they?

Uncharted: mythological gemstones, one guy killing off hundreds.

The Last of Us: one guy killing off hundreds of infected and humans.

There are two or three seraphites that are a lot bulkier than Abby, but they are also a lot taller and endomorph (Abby also is endo).

And actually despise her body being unnatractive for me it isn't that out of proportion or big. She have a little less mass and definition than me even before I resumed gym (and before that I only done like twice for 6 month). I know plenty woman in the gym that are bigger than her and probably don't do any hormone or drugs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
I just finished the game and I'm pretty lost as to why the game is political. Is it because there is a lesbian couple, an ethnically diverse cast, and a muscular woman? I don't see how that's political. I'm not baiting anyone, I'm genuinely curious if that's what it boils down to.

There is also a trans seraphite that is shunned and was to be hanged to death (and hated by the mother) due to transphobia.

It was well constructed to show why he "betrayed" the seraphites and run away. But the iff part to me is that the proportion of LGBTQI+ in the game seems a lot higher than RL, similar to several new shows, and also the misstep from ND that forgot that on time of survival and turbulence this type of behavior or thinking would hardly occur (even more when all the politics and similar stuff was lost due to the catastrophe).

On the bodybuilding part I guess we are also getting some confusion between powerlifting and real body building, there is a difference between training to gain power and just build muscle.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

EnricoPallazzo said:
Zoombael said:

Either Abby is transexual or she used steroids. Lots of steroids. It isn't possible for a female to gain this massive muscles at that age under these conditions. 

More baffling is the fact that someone at Naughty Dog saw it necessary to increase the orignal models body mass.

Compare reveal trailer to sex scene. 

In my opinion it wasn't necessary at all. Her original model was already strong and very athletic. I believe Neil did that because he wanted to create a discussion "is she trans or not?". The sex scene for me is very, very indicative of it. Her father was the greatest genius at that era, able to create a vaccine for a fungus. He could probably be able to tell where it was possible to find hormones in abandoned hospitals or whatever.

Not at all. It is clear she's not a trans. The beefing up is simply a result of what she imposed on herself to make sure she'll get through her personal mission/vendetta. And outside of her arms and shoulders, she's really not that beefy and certainly not outside of the realm of plausibility.

I can't believe how stupid the nitpicks get with some of you guys.

Hynad said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

In my opinion it wasn't necessary at all. Her original model was already strong and very athletic. I believe Neil did that because he wanted to create a discussion "is she trans or not?". The sex scene for me is very, very indicative of it. Her father was the greatest genius at that era, able to create a vaccine for a fungus. He could probably be able to tell where it was possible to find hormones in abandoned hospitals or whatever.

Not at all. It is clear she's not a trans. The beefing up is simply a result of what she imposed on herself to make sure she'll get through her personal mission/vendetta. And outside of her arms and shoulders, she's really not that beefy and certainly not outside of the realm of plausibility.

If she is considered almost impossible while being smaller than average man that train a little then I`ll consider myself hulk.

You don`t see that much volume, definition or even the fibers of her muscles. And looking at her abs she is from almost 0 definition, so she really isn`t that low on fat.

Wman1996 said:
I just finished the game and I'm pretty lost as to why the game is political. Is it because there is a lesbian couple, an ethnically diverse cast, and a muscular woman? I don't see how that's political. I'm not baiting anyone, I'm genuinely curious if that's what it boils down to.

If you REALLY want to know why I can send you a message with my opinion, and also other peoples opinions based on what I read form several people on reddit and telegram, whether I agree with it or not.

But not here as it would attract only hate from other people and the usual bashing against opinions that are not the norm here and other gaming forums.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

I think it is not stupid at all. I believe she is not trans, but Neil created the character in a clear way to generate this question and buzz. 

I dont think she is, but it wouldnt be a surprise for me if in the next game she comes out as trans.

Hiku said:
Runa216 said:
Well hey, it's nice to see some of you dropped the facade and are just being outright ignorant and bigoted so I don't have to explain why you're being sexist pigs! you just are, it's easy to see, and I don't feel the need to elaborate!

Seriously 'women can't be strong' is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum and I've seen some real doozies.

You've brought up some interesting points before that may need to be addressed here. Such as if it's possible to have a proper dialogue if people are ok with accusing others of being 'sjw with a political agenda' but not being bigots for the exact same reason.

That said, when you make it sound like you are calling out someone specific in this thread for something, it's better if you specify who you're talking about, while being mindful of how you address them.
You can refer to your earlier mixup of Don and Enrico as an example of why being specific helps. Or how Mummelman, whom you seemingly referred to with the last paragraph there, doesn't think you characterized what he said properly.

Immersiveunreality said:

The sticking point for me is that this buff part of her does not look female and there are existing buffer females than Abby that are more female looking,more realistically.

But not that i care a lot about this,it would just be nice that they did a tiny bit more research in how to better represent this character,i know this is about a fictonal future but one that does have more closely realistically fragile human beings compared to other franchises.

Well, there are also a lot of normally built women in our world who people would say don't look particularly female. Even when just considering the face.
That's actually fairly normal I'd say. Especially when they don't wear makeup. 
Though Mummelman seems to be saying that this is a realistic look for a woman in that position. He's just questioning how she got there.

And regarding the research, I don't imagine most people have the same level of insight into female bodybuilding as Mummelman seems to have. If you did, where did you learn of it? Though I think he pointed out that there are women that can look as buff or buffer than Abby, but he claims they need to take extra substances. I don't know how true that statement is, but based on what I've played, it doesn't seem unreasonable that Abby did something like that.

Immersiveunreality said:

Yes i know but girls that do bodybuilding and have a manly upperbody like Abby are like 1 out of 100 maybe even rarer,mostly they still have female shaped breast on top of the musles and surely when the body has the fatpercentage abby has.

Well think of it this way.
The game is literally about a girl that has a 1 in several billion rare body, with the only known immunity to a global pandemic.
I don't think people where particularly upset with how rare Ellie's body is.
The height of the reactions were basically 'another rare immunity trope', but that didn't seem to ruin people's enjoyment.

Yes but immunity in itself is more common or relatable for everyone,i question Abby her upper body build more as some form of censoring by Naugthy Dog or Sony and if it is really done for that purpose then it feels hypocritical but i hope i'm wrong.

I see it as no big deal really but just interesting to think about,Abby on herself is not the baddest of characters but the pacing and writing and how the flashbacks are set up do not really support her enough imo.

Also her motivation is not backed up enough,even Ellie is suddenly out of character a few times when she brutally slaughters.

I like Nora and Mel more than the other cast that should have been more important.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 27 June 2020

Immersiveunreality said:
Hiku said:

You've brought up some interesting points before that may need to be addressed here. Such as if it's possible to have a proper dialogue if people are ok with accusing others of being 'sjw with a political agenda' but not being bigots for the exact same reason.

That said, when you make it sound like you are calling out someone specific in this thread for something, it's better if you specify who you're talking about, while being mindful of how you address them.
You can refer to your earlier mixup of Don and Enrico as an example of why being specific helps. Or how Mummelman, whom you seemingly referred to with the last paragraph there, doesn't think you characterized what he said properly.

Well, there are also a lot of normally built women in our world who people would say don't look particularly female. Even when just considering the face.
That's actually fairly normal I'd say. Especially when they don't wear makeup. 
Though Mummelman seems to be saying that this is a realistic look for a woman in that position. He's just questioning how she got there.

And regarding the research, I don't imagine most people have the same level of insight into female bodybuilding as Mummelman seems to have. If you did, where did you learn of it? Though I think he pointed out that there are women that can look as buff or buffer than Abby, but he claims they need to take extra substances. I don't know how true that statement is, but based on what I've played, it doesn't seem unreasonable that Abby did something like that.

Well think of it this way.
The game is literally about a girl that has a 1 in several billion rare body, with the only known immunity to a global pandemic.
I don't think people where particularly upset with how rare Ellie's body is.
The height of the reactions were basically 'another rare immunity trope', but that didn't seem to ruin people's enjoyment.

Yes but immunity in itself is more common or relatable for everyone,i question Abby her upper body build more as some form of censoring by Naugthy Dog or Sony and if it is really done for that purpose then it feels hypocritical but i hope i'm wrong.

I see it as no big deal really but just interesting to think about,Abby on herself is not the baddest of characters but the pacing and writing and how the flashbacks are set up do not really support her enough imo.

Also her motivation is not backed up enough,even Ellie is suddenly out of character a few times when she brutally slaughters.

I like Nora and Mel more than the other cast that should have been more important.

I don't understand the bolded part. What is ND/Sony censoring by giving Abby a buff build?

forest-spirit said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I don't understand the bolded part. What is ND/Sony censoring by giving Abby a buff build?

Because female buff builds should have female shaped breast still on the chest and this does not really look like that,you can check google images for more realistic builds.Not saying it IS censoring but questioning it.

Immersiveunreality said:
forest-spirit said:

Because female buff builds should have female shaped breast still on the chest and this does not really look like that,you can check google images for more realistic builds.Not saying it IS censoring but questioning it.

But that's false. Women in general can be flat-chested, and amongst female atheletes it's even more common.