By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 39 41.94%

Yes 54 58.06%

Total:93
the-pi-guy said:
Mummelmann said:

You think that girl is clean? The video more or less proves his point, it's extremely hard for women to build significant mass in the upper body, especially shoulders and arms. I know a couple of dozen girls who look more or less like that, none of which have gone without chemical aid. Female powerlifters usually have great squat and deadlift numbers, but comparatively low benchpress numbers, this is due to the mentioned discrepancy in muscle mass of the upper body and bench not getting the same direct benefit from strong legs (besides the grounding when you arch). Heavier division lifters tend to be large overall, with a much greater percentage of body fat, as females are more prone to both gaining and retaining fat naturally. A large, muscular upper body with low fat and good vascularity is nigh on impossible, even most men have problems accomplishing this.

Edit; for further example, look at the differences in female lifters in the IPF, and then the WPC (the latter group is not tested, and it shows) and their overall body composition, especially the lower weight classes.

There are plenty of girls in the IPF that look just as buff as Abby is.  

Even in the game there aren't really any women that are as strong as Abby.  One strong woman in a universe isn't implausible.  

Zoombael said:

It would also provide a target for the twitter-PC-brigade.

"ND implies women can only have gains by cheating"

#NaughtyDogHatesWomen

In games like God Of War, Diablo etc. this would be a non issue. But ND themselves set a bar for authenticity and realism.

Have they?

Uncharted: mythological gemstones, one guy killing off hundreds.

The Last of Us: one guy killing off hundreds of infected and humans.

Yes, they have. Why Uncharted pops up in your reply is a mystery. The Last Of Us Part II is the name of the game. Btw. i am not a fan of Uncharted because it strains my suspension of disbelief.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Zoombael said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Can confirm. The leaks were mostly all true which makes sense since they were cutscenes from the game. The leaks never sair you would play with abby all the time. One thing the leak got wrong is that abby was trans, but to be honest after the sex scene im not sure if she is really born female. 

Funny thing is that so many people thought the leaks were false because it all seemed to be just ridiculous. Little did we know.

Either Abby is transexual or she used steroids. Lots of steroids. It isn't possible for a female to gain this massive muscles at that age under these conditions. 

More baffling is the fact that someone at Naughty Dog saw it necessary to increase the orignal models body mass.

Compare reveal trailer to sex scene. 

In my opinion it wasn't necessary at all. Her original model was already strong and very athletic. I believe Neil did that because he wanted to create a discussion "is she trans or not?". The sex scene for me is very, very indicative of it. Her father was the greatest genius at that era, able to create a vaccine for a fungus. He could probably be able to tell where it was possible to find hormones in abandoned hospitals or whatever.

A small tip for others in here looking up pictures of women with large frames: "large-boned women" is not a good search term (or it might be if you're into that).

the-pi-guy said:
Mummelmann said:

You think that girl is clean? The video more or less proves his point, it's extremely hard for women to build significant mass in the upper body, especially shoulders and arms. I know a couple of dozen girls who look more or less like that, none of which have gone without chemical aid. Female powerlifters usually have great squat and deadlift numbers, but comparatively low benchpress numbers, this is due to the mentioned discrepancy in muscle mass of the upper body and bench not getting the same direct benefit from strong legs (besides the grounding when you arch). Heavier division lifters tend to be large overall, with a much greater percentage of body fat, as females are more prone to both gaining and retaining fat naturally. A large, muscular upper body with low fat and good vascularity is nigh on impossible, even most men have problems accomplishing this.

Edit; for further example, look at the differences in female lifters in the IPF, and then the WPC (the latter group is not tested, and it shows) and their overall body composition, especially the lower weight classes.

There are plenty of girls in the IPF that look just as buff as Abby is.  

Even in the game there aren't really any women that are as strong as Abby.  One strong woman in a universe isn't implausible.  

Don't know about plenty, it's hardly the norm and the ones with more tone are typically short. A tall, heavy female IPF lifter with good definition is truly rare (my only known example would have to be Canadian lifter Jessica Buettner, she's about 70-75 kg's most of the time but only about 170 cm tall, or 5'7"). My main gripe was with the example you provided, that one is quite clearly on the juice.

I'm not saying it's implausible that a woman like Abby exists, even in the apocalypse, not at all. What I'm saying is that she would likely be on gear to become that bulky, especially since it's unlikely you'll find fully-equipped 24-hour gyms around the corner in a post-apocalyptic city. As I mentioned, I know a lot of women who are just as bulky, and even more so, but they all have something in common (ownership of a surprising amount of needles). I used to hang out in the fitness/BB/Strongman/Strongwoman environment some years ago (I briefly tried to compete in Strongman myself). I also trained with IPF lifter between 2008-2011, a few of the girls were crazy strong but didn't have very bulky or defined upper bodies.

The girl above is one from my old club grounds, Norwegian national champion (Marte Elverum) and two times winner of Junior World's in the IPF, she weighs about 70 kg's but is only 164 cm tall so her frame looks broader, she's incredibly strong in the deadlift. To sport similar-looking mass on what appears to be probably about or just under 6' - or 182'ish centimeters (for Abby) would be incredibly rare, especially without "special" supplements. The girl pictured above (Miss Elverum) trains 5-6 times per week, varying from 2 hours and up to 2,5 or even 3 hours per session, depending on where she is in the season, and she's coached by the national team's head coach with staff at that and has access to every training-related implement and locale known to man.

Once more; big and strong women exist, and I know many, but Zoombael's claim that Abby would likely be on the juice to get that frame on that height is very much valid, which was the point to begin with, not whether or not tall, bulky females exist.

Well hey, it's nice to see some of you dropped the facade and are just being outright ignorant and bigoted so I don't have to explain why you're being sexist pigs! you just are, it's easy to see, and I don't feel the need to elaborate!

Seriously 'women can't be strong' is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum and I've seen some real doozies.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Well hey, it's nice to see some of you dropped the facade and are just being outright ignorant and bigoted so I don't have to explain why you're being sexist pigs! you just are, it's easy to see, and I don't feel the need to elaborate!

Seriously 'women can't be strong' is one of the worst takes I've seen on this forum and I've seen some real doozies.

Who has said that women can't be strong? I know a world champion powerlifter, among others, and would state otherwise (I know quite a few who are currently much stronger than I am myself). I can only speak for myself, but my main argument in my posts is that a female of Abby's height will have serious problems packing on that kind of mass without using chemical enhancement. You can call me a bigot or ignorant if you want to (it seems to be your hobby as of late), I'm only speaking from personal insights and experience with a wide range of environments and group with a focus on physique, strength and training, as well as simple science and biology. Even tall men have trouble bulking up a lot without retaining a lot of body fat (I should know, I myself am 6'4" and weighed about 300 pounds at my strongest) as their frames will look proportionately different, it's also very hard to become vascular. One can note that the average height of all Mr.Olympia winners is around 5'7", significantly below the male average, and for the very reasons I just stated above.

Then again, I'm probably just an ignorant bigot who spent many years training and living with various fitness athletes, bodybuilders, strongmen and professional martial artists (mostly MMA) so what do I know.

Edit; look at something as simple as the Square - Cube law and how it pertains to human height to see more closely what I mean in my posts (unless the Square - Cube law is considered a sexist, bigot's tool, that is).

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 26 June 2020

Runa216 said:

Who said that exact same thing in this thread?I did not check but the vile me is assuming you again fantasize an extreme to make people look like bigots so it fits your denial about reality.

Runa216 said:

If you happen to know who my avatar is this reaction becomes even more ridiculous.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
Runa216 said:

If you happen to know who my avatar is this reaction becomes even more ridiculous.

Dont bother. Its one of "them".

John2290 said:
the-pi-guy said:

The funny bit is there literally was one in the game.  There was a mess hall and a gym in the main city that Abby lived in.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-Fnx9SMpcug/maxresdefault.jpg

There's a gym in the stadium and also at least one "around the corner" in the post apocalyptic city and maybe two if I'm not mistaken. 

I do not think people understand a lot about bodybuilding and body structure,to achieve what Abby has and on top of that even have that percentage of bodyfat would need so much training and ENERGY,energy in the form of proteine and lots of diff calories from different nutrients + her body does not look female.

Female bodybuilders look female but muscular and Abby is a rare duck because her chest is almost unrealistic and it is manly also.