By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets settle this: Worst Main FF.

excluding 1-6 which i haven't played, it has to be XV.

Terrible story telling in the 1st half of the game that made me put down the controller
A lack of unique locations in the first just made it feel less fantastical compared the other FF
Aweful Magic System
Unsatisfying weapon system
Somewhat confusing but enjoyable combat that I was not good at and just often won battles through excessive use of potions.

XIII had massive flaws but it was easy for me to get into, just a bit boring combat and progression wise. I somehow ended up replaying it and trying to max my characters in Grand Pulse, combat definitely had some elements of strategy that should be carried over to other games (paradigm shift)

Around the Network

13 is the worst by far, and I dont even know if it should be called final fantasy.
And all people complaining about 1 and 2, it's absolutely impossible to judge those games with the eyes we have today.
They pretty successful so probably at that time they were definitely not bad.
4 is a masterpiece, but played today a lot of people would say it's pretty bad.

FF9. It's Just silly and way too easy.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Easily FFXIII, unlike other FFs, this one does not need an explanation.

I can understand why FF8 is so many of your guys' worst FF but I can't help but appreciate the junction system. I understand today but it was a complete fucking nightmare to try to understand it. It's like learning basic coding, add to that the age factor. Shit was confusing as a kid. But once you get it, it truly is a thing of beauty. The card mod and refine abilities really made it easy to abuse the junction system. I always get Squall's Lion Heart just after the Timber mission. Easy if you know what you're doing.
Also, Ultemecia's dungeon is hands down the best final boss dungeon of any FF. That being said FF8 is not my favorite.

OP. FFXIII. Not only because it was generic and linear. Not only because of the shit story, but because it was a poor transition from old guard FF to new age action rpg FF. And in hindsight, I absolutely hate how much it relied on brand name instead of producing a quality game.

As a pure side note. Final Fantasy XIII is also when I completely wiped my ass from reviewers and completely stopped reading/writing reviews. Even the person who reviewed it here on VGC over a decade ago. Reviews were absolute deception. I vaguely remember a controversy of Square Enix only giving review copies away to those who would score them a 9 and above.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

FFXV : I felt very fashionable on this camping trip with the boys enjoying the solitude of vast empty areas while getting frequently updated on the cool story i could not be a part of.(shakes fist at Nomura)

FFII, as much as people harp on the likes of XV and XIII they're not the worst and are in fact still very playable they're just not up to the standards people hold the franchise to FFII is by far the worst in the series as evident to how few fans of the series even acknowledge it exists, it has a bizarre leveling system that undermines other aspects in the game and a very wayward narrative that is only really saved by it's underrated villain.

My least favorite is FF II. I liked the story but the battle system was awful. I still liked the game.

Off topic, but my favorite is FF X. I've played that game like 5 or 6 times.

OdinHades said:
FF9. It's Just silly and way too easy.

Uhh how are you not banned by this?!?!? lol jk

I played every single FF so it's easy to say that it's definitely FF6. Just so incredibly boring with a pathetic story and a villain that barely does anything. Also one of the most boring level systems. And Magitek can suck my ass.

I'd say FFXV but there I had at least some fun in between.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.