By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets settle this: Worst Main FF.

FF8 is one of the best. It has the most clever system, if you dig it. It seems there is a consensus that 2,13,15 are the worst.

Around the Network
Chicho said:

why so many saying 8? FF8 is an enjoyable game, sure it takes a bit of getting used to but whatt FF doesn't? for worst i nominate 5.

A lot of people started playing the franchise with FF7.  And since then, FF8 is definitely contender for the worse.  As hard as you can try you could never get used to those plot holes.

Final Fantasy XV. God I hate that fucking car, it takes an eternity getting anywhere in this game, quick travel ain't much better because of OG PS4 loading times, the combat system is not enjoyable at all and the Coleman product placement really rubs me the wrong way.

Signature goes here!

of those I played ff8. I played up to ff12 btw

Final Fantasy IV because the story is annoying.

Spoiler!

Almost every main character happens to sacrifice himself for the rest of the party, just to reappear a few moments later down the line. All other charcters cry and mourn in each of these moments so it makes you the player feel bad and sorry for the loss, but then the character suddenly reappears and nobody bats an eye. And this happens so often during the course of the story that it loses it's entire weight. Even the spoony bard does this. I just stopped caring after a while.

Oh, so now XY sacrifices himself, okay. Surely comes back sometime. Yep, called it.

Honourable mention is Final Fantasy I on the NES, half the game doesn't work because it's poorly programmed.

Around the Network

Thread needs a poll , In pole position we have FF15 -13 - 12

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I haven’t really played any of the games before VII, so I can’t comment too much on those, but for the rest I thought XV was the worst. Empty story, boring open world, lackluster combat with a terrible magic and summoning system (though at least the summons were epic and awesome when they did happen, even though I pretty much just kept getting the same 2). It just didn’t really make me feel much of anything.

Though, I have played a little bit of the first game and even from the limited time I spent playing it that would probably be the actual worst I’ve played. It’s just too old and there’s so much I do not enjoy about the outdated mechanics. Does not hold up anywhere near as well as some other games from that time period.

GoOnKid said:

Final Fantasy IV because the story is annoying.

Spoiler!

Almost every main character happens to sacrifice himself for the rest of the party, just to reappear a few moments later down the line. All other charcters cry and mourn in each of these moments so it makes you the player feel bad and sorry for the loss, but then the character suddenly reappears and nobody bats an eye. And this happens so often during the course of the story that it loses it's entire weight. Even the spoony bard does this. I just stopped caring after a while.

Oh, so now XY sacrifices himself, okay. Surely comes back sometime. Yep, called it.

Honourable mention is Final Fantasy I on the NES, half the game doesn't work because it's poorly programmed.

They did overdo that.It Is true but it wasn't that annoying. I think 4 is better than 5. The job changing mechanic is weak and works better in the tactics games. 

I played starting with FF3 (aka 6) all the way to 13. Starting with 10 everything went downhill. I hated 10 and 12 the most to the point that when I start 15 I stop 10 minutes in. Only FF12 was ok. If Ff was to evolve they should have gone the Nier Automata route or even more Kingom Hearts like in game play.

FFXV. I couldn't get into the battle-system. It was like trying to cross over Kingdom Hearts and FF12 but they couldn't get it right. Characters just felt slow, cumbersome and unresponsive. Wasn't a fan of the sausage fest boy-band (J-Pop) roadtrip either. Played for a few hours and gave up. Hard pass on this. More fantasy in the next numbered release please.

Last edited by hinch - on 18 June 2020