By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Reveal breaks nearly all social media records (Twitch, Youtube streaming, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter)

Dulfite said:
I'd imagine this is more an indication of how well liked their current device is rather than Ps5. If PS4 tanked then 5 wouldn't get this much attention, but because it had amazing sales everyone was interested in what was coming next. I'd more so be interested in seeing what percentage of those viewers was pleased with what they saw, as I've seen a lot of people commenting on how few original games it will have at launch as well as the design of the console (I've also seen a lot that like the design). Just curious!

Some of the best selling movies, for example, are very unpopular but sold so many tickets because the previous one was so good.

So, in an alternate universe, or perhaps in some type of Infinity Gauntlet scenario where the PS4 was a clusterfuck of stupidity and failure, fewer people would be excited for the PS5.

I love this post. Please don't interpret my reply as aggro.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I just don't get why people are so obsessed with views and likes of social media.

For example,
Animal Crossing NH 1st trailer has 2.9M views and the game sold over 22M units

FF7R 1st trailer has 15M views and sold over 5M units.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
I just don't get why people are so obsessed with views and likes of social media.

For example,

To be fair I found out about New Horizon even coming out because of everyone talking about it on Twitter to play it during lockdown. New Horizons was on social media every I looked the 2 weeks before it came out.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

LGBTDBZBBQ said:

For example,

because it strengthens the feeling of being right to support the team

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:

For example,

AC had record breaking numbers on Twitter and Reddit.

You are simply using an incomplete dataset to confirm your own biases.

Each social media site has different demographics.

Ultimately if analysed correctly (knowing when to extrapolate or interpolate, correlation and causation, multi variable studies, exactly defining independent variables), social media can be a neutral to strong indicator of commercial success. All companies know this and hence why they have data scientists visualise these trends.

AC, FF7R, TLOU II, GOT, Fall Guys all showed this.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

For example,

Pokemon Sword and Shield revealed trailer - 4.9M views and Sold over 18M units 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe revealed trailer - 11M viewsaviews sold over 26M units

Zelda BOTW official trailer - 16M views and sold over 20M units

Smash Ultimate announcement trailer - 5.8M views and sold 19.9M units

Super Mario Odyssey announcement trailer - 42M(holy shit) and sold only 18M units(lol)

Labo announcement trailer - 15M and sold ..... Flopped

Kinda pointless metric to use social media as the primary indicator of game sales. 

Watch a Youtube trailer is free
Buy a console costs 400 USD

Youtube trailers don't even correlate well with box office performance which an average of less than 10 USD a ticket, let alone correlate with buying a console

In practice, social media only measures the reach and engagement of your marketing and advertising. How this turn into active buying consumers is a whole other story

That's said, it's actually great PS5 is moving those numbers, shows public is interested in the brand. Will this interest be enough to move huge numbers? We shall see

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
kirby007 said:

Super Mario Odyssey announcement trailer - 42M(holy shit) and sold only 18M units(lol)

Kinda pointless metric to use social media as the primary indicator of game sales. 

The only thing pointless here is your analysis. You're not taking into account demographics, other social media sites, ad inflated view counts etc.

Really poor analysis.

Its also incredibly easy to spot ad inflated videos by tracking views to likes ratio over time. So one can easily remove said examples form their data set.

Marth said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Just FYI if a video gets put as an advertisement before other Youtube videos, which is something Nintendo Sony and everone else does, the views of the ad count to the trailer views.

So high view counts can just mean it got pushed a lot as ad.

Labo has nearly the same amount of like as BOTW Indicated both were sharing the same amount of users engagement and yet BOTW outsold Labo greatly. 

Still, using YouTube and social media views to say game A will sell more than game B based on that is ridiculous. 

Only sales is the absolute metric to measure the users engagement and definitely not the free social media like and view.