By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127
eva01beserk said:
chakkra said:

Thank you! for the life of me, I have never been able to understand people's fascination with Kratos. I just can't stand the guy, and that's the reason why I couldn't even finish the first game.

As for the TLoU, I actually liked the game but hated the ending, so I really don't think I will ever play Part 2.

Thats a valid point. Kratos was first introduced and was basically anger incarnate, no depth at all. So you two would be surprised at the evolution that GOW 2018 made on kratos. Hes an actual relatable character now and has some depth. The best part is how they managed to change him without destroying his history.

Yeah... I've been told that before and I'm actually quite curious about it. I will definitely give it a try whenever I get my hands on a borrowed PS4.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I remember last gen people would ask me why the heck I would choose a 360 over a PS3 when Sony had Uncharted, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, MGS4.

My answer? I honestly liked Halo 3/4/Reach, Gears 1-3, and other 360 console exclusives like Witcher 2, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell Conviction better than Sony's exclusives. That might not have been a popular opinion on gaming forums, but to me 360 was just flat out the superior system.

Granted, they dropped the ball big time with the Xbone, but if they can learn from their mistakes and get some of that 7th gen gusto back, I might be willing to give them a second chance.

I'll say this much though; the July event better not be just a bunch of cinematic trailers. I wanna see gameplay.

I felt this way up until around 2010.

Fable, Halo, Mass Effect (momentarily) made me more satisfied with 360 up until a  point. I used the end of the generation to catch up with playstation exclusives like Ni No Kuni /Uncharted/TLOU and sony just kept the momentum going whereas MS dropped the ball.

Otter said:
curl-6 said:

I remember last gen people would ask me why the heck I would choose a 360 over a PS3 when Sony had Uncharted, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, MGS4.

My answer? I honestly liked Halo 3/4/Reach, Gears 1-3, and other 360 console exclusives like Witcher 2, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell Conviction better than Sony's exclusives. That might not have been a popular opinion on gaming forums, but to me 360 was just flat out the superior system.

Granted, they dropped the ball big time with the Xbone, but if they can learn from their mistakes and get some of that 7th gen gusto back, I might be willing to give them a second chance.

I'll say this much though; the July event better not be just a bunch of cinematic trailers. I wanna see gameplay.

I felt this way up until around 2010.

Fable, Halo, Mass Effect (momentarily) made me more satisfied with 360 up until a  point. I used the end of the generation to catch up with playstation exclusives like Ni No Kuni /Uncharted/TLOU and sony just kept the momentum going whereas MS dropped the ball.

I was actually fine with the 360's latter life; in 2010-2013 we got Halo Reach/4, Gears 3/judgement, Splinter Cell, Alan Wake, Witcher 2, plus still the superior versions of most multiplatform games. That was enough to keep me happy as a multi-console owner.

I did also like some of PS3's games during those years too though, like Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, and Puppeteer.

kirby007 said:
goopy20 said:

Generally speaking I think there are 4 types of games. Bad, Ok'ish, Good, and rare gems that are considered a must play. Maybe that's just me, but if any particular console brand has a bunch of games of the later category, it peaks my interest and I would buy a console just to play them. I bought a Switch just to play BOTW, for example, and the OG Xbox mainly for Halo. Therefore, I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them. Yet the one single game that is coming to your platform of choice happens to be your most favorite ip of the entire generation, even when it's a 6 hour long game with a 80 Metacritic score. I get that you're into viking history and all, but come on. 

And no, all those studios you mentioned haven't been quiet for too long. Ninja Theory just released Bleeding Edge, Mojang just released Minecraft Dungeons, Playground released Forza Horizon 4: Lego Speed Champions in 2019, The Coalition just released Gears Tactics for pc, Obsidian is working on some indie kid game called Grounded and 343 Studios seems to be hiring for a new Halo Wars. Except for Gears Tactics all of their new releases is sitting on a 70 or lower Metacritic score.

Surely you must notice a pattern here. Most of MS's studios are busy making small scale type of games to fill up the GP library. That's why I'll remain skeptical and keep my expectations in check, but I truly do hope they'll prove me wrong in July. 

ill bite
i quit tlou after 10 minutes, Gow I wont even touch dont like that kind of gameplay since heavenly sword with QTEs
IMo HZD was the only good one

so ye PS offered me one game for my taste

How am I supposed to react to that when you haven't even tried those games? Look, I get it. We all have different tastes. I got a Switch and wouldn't touch any Mario game either. Doesn't mean I don't get why its such a critically acclaimed and popular franchise, its just not my thing. If you look at the top 10 best selling ps4 games, 5 of them are exclusives and they're all different ip's. We can argue how you think those games didn't deserve the commercial and critical acclaimed success they did, but those are exactly the kind of games Series X needs to show on July. Iconic exclusives that set the Xbox brand apart and give it its own identity.

Nintendo has them, sony has them and MS used to have them with Halo and Gears. The problem for MS is that they clung on to the same 3 franchises for way too long and people lost interest in them. It happens all the time, look at Uncharted 4 or God of War Ascension, they were still great games, but there's a reason why they did the reboot with GOW and why we didn't get a Uncharted 5. People want new AAA ip's, especially when a new console generation starts. Sony gets that and they're constantly making new ones and taking risks. MS is simply terrible at doing the same thing or doesn't even try. This is why they've been so damn predictable for 2 entire console generations and why I can predict exactly what they'll show in July.  

shikamaru317 said:

In the end things like this always come down to personal taste. Take me for example. I am a multiplat gamer who owns a Switch, a PS4 Pro, and an Xbox One. When trying to decide rather to buy Xbox Series X or PS5 first, there are many factors I took into consideration:

Games
The most important consideration for sure. Microsoft hasn’t even done their July show yet, and yet there are already many games they have announced that interest me. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Flight Simulator, Project Mara, Call of the Sea, Second Extinction, The Medium. Add those to heavily rumored early gen games like Forza Motorsport 8, Forza Horizon 5, Fable Reboot, and Perfect Dark reboot, and there is quite a lot to interest me of XSX in the early years of the generation. By comparison, Sony wise I am interested in Horizon 2, Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, and Kena, but 2 of those are timed exclusives that I can eventually play on Xbox, while Kena is cross-gen, I can play it on PS4. As for other likely early gen PS5 games, God of War 5 has my interest and Spider-Man 2 might if they go back to Peter, but that is about it. Not very hyped for Naughty Dog’s future since they dropped Uncharted in favor of the rather meh TLOU. Never liked GT or LBP. Sucker Punch won’t have a PS5 game until mid-late gen since they chose to release Ghost of Tsushima so late this gen. Sony just doesn’t have as many early gen games to look forward to for me.

Design
I like simple designs, nothing too flashy. XSX is simple, PS5 is the very definition of flashy. PS5 is also far too big. Noise matters to me a lot as well, and Digital Foundry claims XSX is whisper quiet.

Services
While PS+ has been superior to XBL Gold recently in terms of free games, Gamepass so far is far superior to PS Now, thanks to day one 1st/2nd party games on Gamepass, as well as some 3rd party games available day one.

Controller
The edge goes to Sony on this one, I like that XSX has replaceable batteries, and I love XB1/XSX controller ergonomics. But MS played it too safe here, the controller is 90% the same as XB1. Sony on the other hand is offering innovations like improved haptics feedback and resistance triggers.

Backwards Compatibility

Definite edge for Xbox here. They have a lead of several years here. Not only will every XB1 game be available on BC, but also all OG Xbox and 360 games that were made BC last gen. And after XSX is out, BC team says they will go back to adding more OG Xbox and 360 games. Also MS offers BC enhancements on many BC games. I can for instance go back and play Witcher 2 on 360 at 4K 30 FPS with improved textures and other improvements over the original 360 release. Easy win for Xbox here.

In the end, XSX comes out on top by a pretty fair margin. And that is before the July show, which is sure to have many good surprises that will sway me even further towards buying XSX first. At this point the only thing that might sway me to get PS5 first is XSX being $100 or more above PS5, but I find that unlikely given the expensive custom SSD and controller innovations increasing costs on PS5. Even price is unlikely to change my mind at this point though.

Obviously, the games are the most important and to be fair, MS does have a lot of new ip's. It's just that they're all big unknowns and MS has an history of under delivering. I mean do Second Excitation and Call to the Sea really look like master pieces in the making? Maybe all of those games you mentioned will turn out great, but looking at MS's more recent track record (Crackdown 3, Project Spark, Minecraft Dungeons, Bleeding Edge, State of Decay 2, Recore, Sea of Thieves etc.), they can also turn out to be complete duds. 

Now even if you don't care about any of Sony's exclusives yourself, you have to admit that Sony's studios have a pretty stellar reputation when it comes to delivering. In fact, you can practically say that almost anything rolling out of a Sony studio will be quality stuff, even if its a complete new ip. MS, however, still hasn't released a single successful AAA franchise since Gears of War came out, and that was a 3rd party title. MS has been talking for years how things will change, but so far they've done a great job at proving the opposite. We've seen them rapid fire releasing one 1st party game after the other, and most people haven't even noticed.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 18 June 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
goopy20 said:

I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them.

Metacritic means basically nothing to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that scored in the 60s and hated games that scored in the 90s.

I didn't care for TLOU1 so I have no desire to play the sequel, and I've never liked GOW due to Kratos being my most disliked video game character of all time.

Horizon on the other hand looked pretty cool, and I'd totally play it if it was on a system I owned.

Just saying, critical reception doesn't necessarily have anything to do with an individual's personal tastes.

Same, same. Seriously, I absolutely HATED the first three games, but God of War 2018 might be one of the best games of all time due in no small part to how thoroughly they address his prior behaviour and atone for it. It's a genuinely great game I recommend everyone and everyone picks up. Honestly, it's a nearly-flawless game, in my eye. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
curl-6 said:

Metacritic means basically nothing to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that scored in the 60s and hated games that scored in the 90s.

I didn't care for TLOU1 so I have no desire to play the sequel, and I've never liked GOW due to Kratos being my most disliked video game character of all time.

Horizon on the other hand looked pretty cool, and I'd totally play it if it was on a system I owned.

Just saying, critical reception doesn't necessarily have anything to do with an individual's personal tastes.

Same, same. Seriously, I absolutely HATED the first three games, but God of War 2018 might be one of the best games of all time due in no small part to how thoroughly they address his prior behaviour and atone for it. It's a genuinely great game I recommend everyone and everyone picks up. Honestly, it's a nearly-flawless game, in my eye. 

They fully address Kratos behavior during the 3 games, sure it is subtle and need a lot of attention, but there is character development and justification for his actions. And in the end he was right on what he was doing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:

The beauty about Ms going after Sony is that they can gauge what people thought and what Sony showed and try to top that. 

The beauty about SONY going after MS is that they can gauge what people thought and what MS showed, and try to top that.

Fixed that for you. MS show was a real show, I know you would love to brush it off but that doesn't change much for the rest of us who are not out there to spin the truth. MS has to make another show AGAIN because SONY just stole all the spotlight, just look at all those Youtube views count, MS needs to do something. But the beauty of it is that SONY will gauge what people thought and what MS is gonna show in round 2 and try to top that.

I love how some of you have this unshakable belief that MS has more games in store to show us yet refuse to give SONY the benefit of the doubt that SONY just might be in a similar position. 

In any case I think all of you are overestimating what these exclusives mean for both consoles, neither of them is Nintendo, so 3rd party games will always be king. The reality is the battle comes down to who will offer the cheaper hardware, an area where MS has an edge. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 18 June 2020

goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:

ill bite
i quit tlou after 10 minutes, Gow I wont even touch dont like that kind of gameplay since heavenly sword with QTEs
IMo HZD was the only good one

so ye PS offered me one game for my taste

How am I supposed to react to that when you haven't even tried those games? Look, I get it. We all have different tastes. I got a Switch and wouldn't touch any Mario game either. Doesn't mean I don't get why its such a critically acclaimed and popular franchise, its just not my thing. If you look at the top 10 best selling ps4 games, 5 of them are exclusives and they're all different ip's. We can argue how you think those games didn't deserve the commercial and critical acclaimed success they did, but those are exactly the kind of games Series X needs to show on July. Iconic exclusives that set the Xbox brand apart and give it its own identity.

Nintendo has them, sony has them and MS used to have them with Halo and Gears. The problem for MS is that they clung on to the same 3 franchises for way too long and people lost interest in them. It happens all the time, look at Uncharted 4 or God of War Ascension, they were still great games, but there's a reason why they did the reboot with GOW and why we didn't get a Uncharted 5. People want new AAA ip's, especially when a new console generation starts. Sony gets that and they're constantly making new ones and taking risks. MS is simply terrible at doing the same thing or doesn't even try. This is why they've been so damn predictable for 2 entire console generations and why I can predict exactly what they'll show in July.  

If I’m not mistaken all the major 1st party announcements they made were sequels of established IPs. For the first time in years MS has a shot in getting more new IPs announced. I hope they take it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

LurkerJ said:
sales2099 said:

The beauty about Ms going after Sony is that they can gauge what people thought and what Sony showed and try to top that. 

The beauty about SONY going after MS is that they can gauge what people thought and what MS showed, and try to top that.

Fixed that for you. MS show was a real show, I know you would love to brush it off but that doesn't change much for the rest of us who are not out there to spin the truth. MS has to make another show AGAIN because SONY just stole all the spotlight, just look at all those Youtube views count, MS needs to do something. But the beauty of it is that SONY will gauge what people thought and what MS is gonna show in round 2 and try top that.

I love how some of you have this unshakable belief that MS has more games in store to show us yet refuse to give SONY the benefit of the doubt that SONY just might be in a similar position. 

In any case I think all of you are overestimating what these exclusives mean for both consoles, neither of them is Nintendo, so 3rd party games will always be king. The reality is the battle comes down to who will offer the cheaper hardware, an area where MS has an edge. 

lol you’d like to think so, but it was a 20 minute Inside Xbox presentation. It was a small show, meant for spillover of content that would make the July show too bloated. Ms has been much more transparent and I preferred their drip feeding then being quiet for 6 months. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.