By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127
goopy20 said:

I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them.

Metacritic means basically nothing to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that scored in the 60s and hated games that scored in the 90s.

I didn't care for TLOU1 so I have no desire to play the sequel, and I've never liked GOW due to Kratos being my most disliked video game character of all time.

Horizon on the other hand looked pretty cool, and I'd totally play it if it was on a system I owned.

Just saying, critical reception doesn't necessarily have anything to do with an individual's personal tastes.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:

Therefore, I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them.

I'd find it hard to believe that God of War 2018 or Horizon Zero Dawn got 96 on Metacritic. 

curl-6 said:
goopy20 said:

I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them.

Metacritic means basically nothing to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed games that scored in the 60s and hated games that scored in the 90s.

I didn't care for TLOU1 so I have no desire to play the sequel, and I've never liked GOW due to Kratos being my most disliked video game character of all time.

Horizon on the other hand looked pretty cool, and I'd totally play it if it was on a system I owned.

Just saying, critical reception doesn't necessarily have anything to do with an individual's personal tastes.

Thank you! for the life of me, I have never been able to understand people's fascination with Kratos. I just can't stand the guy, and that's the reason why I couldn't even finish the first game.

As for the TLoU, I actually liked the game but hated the ending, so I really don't think I will ever play Part 2.

curl-6 said:
goopy20 said:

I agree with this, only certain genre of games I enjoy. I don't light fighting games, open world super hero games, don't care too much for racing simulators anymore, and movie games.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
goopy20 said:

Therefore, I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them.

I'd find it hard to believe that God of War 2018 or Horizon Zero Dawn got 96 on Metacritic. 

Actually, I like Kratos in a funny way in the original god of war games. He kills everyone, even the people who try to help him lol.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Generally speaking I think there are 4 types of games. Bad, Ok'ish, Good, and rare gems that are considered a must play. Maybe that's just me, but if any particular console brand has a bunch of games of the later category, it peaks my interest and I would buy a console just to play them. I bought a Switch just to play BOTW, for example, and the OG Xbox mainly for Halo. Therefore, I just find it hard to believe that anyone, who sees games like TLOU 2, GOW, HZD etc. getting 96 Metacritic scores, wouldn't feel any desire to play them. Yet the one single game that is coming to your platform of choice happens to be your most favorite ip of the entire generation, even when it's a 6 hour long game with a 80 Metacritic score. I get that you're into viking history and all, but come on. 

And no, all those studios you mentioned haven't been quiet for too long. Ninja Theory just released Bleeding Edge, Mojang just released Minecraft Dungeons, Playground released Forza Horizon 4: Lego Speed Champions in 2019, The Coalition just released Gears Tactics for pc, Obsidian is working on some indie kid game called Grounded and 343 Studios seems to be hiring for a new Halo Wars. Except for Gears Tactics all of their new releases is sitting on a 70 or lower Metacritic score.

Surely you must notice a pattern here. Most of MS's studios are busy making small scale type of games to fill up the GP library. That's why I'll remain skeptical and keep my expectations in check, but I truly do hope they'll prove me wrong in July. 

I explained myself enough. You skeptical that’s not on me. I think it’s a safe bet to say that Xbox plans to cover more genres then PS. And that will attract crowds that like said genres. MS clearly trying to capture the 3rd person narrative crowd that can’t get enough of PS4 exclusives, so let’s see how that goes. 

Bleeding Edge is a small game, where as Hellblade came out a few years ago. I didn’t mention Mojang or Coalition, but Playgrounds 2nd studio was what I was referring to. Again, Grounded is a small team, the bulk of Obsidian is working on a unannounced AAA game while the rest is working on Outer Worlds DLC. 343 will finally release a Halo game after 5 years and did a damn fine job keeping a closed lid this whole time and I can’t wait for it to pay off. So ya, I stand by my point that studios have been quiet for too long. 

If the small scale titles were all that those studios were working on I’d agree, but we both know that’s not the case. I mean they literally said they set aside 10-20 people for these smaller titles. 

Are you generalmld from youtube?

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

Thank you! for the life of me, I have never been able to understand people's fascination with Kratos. I just can't stand the guy, and that's the reason why I couldn't even finish the first game.

As for the TLoU, I actually liked the game but hated the ending, so I really don't think I will ever play Part 2.

Thats a valid point. Kratos was first introduced and was basically anger incarnate, no depth at all. So you two would be surprised at the evolution that GOW 2018 made on kratos. Hes an actual relatable character now and has some depth. The best part is how they managed to change him without destroying his history.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I remember last gen people would ask me why the heck I would choose a 360 over a PS3 when Sony had Uncharted, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, MGS4.

My answer? I honestly liked Halo 3/4/Reach, Gears 1-3, and other 360 console exclusives like Witcher 2, Alan Wake, and Splinter Cell Conviction better than Sony's exclusives. That might not have been a popular opinion on gaming forums, but to me 360 was just flat out the superior system.

Granted, they dropped the ball big time with the Xbone, but if they can learn from their mistakes and get some of that 7th gen gusto back, I might be willing to give them a second chance.

I'll say this much though; the July event better not be just a bunch of cinematic trailers. I wanna see gameplay.

shikamaru317 said:

In the end things like this always come down to personal taste. Take me for example. I am a multiplat gamer who owns a Switch, a PS4 Pro, and an Xbox One. When trying to decide rather to buy Xbox Series X or PS5 first, there are many factors I took into consideration:

Games
The most important consideration for sure. Microsoft hasn’t even done their July show yet, and yet there are already many games they have announced that interest me. Halo Infinite, Everwild, Flight Simulator, Project Mara, Call of the Sea, Second Extinction, The Medium. Add those to heavily rumored early gen games like Forza Motorsport 8, Forza Horizon 5, Fable Reboot, and Perfect Dark reboot, and there is quite a lot to interest me of XSX in the early years of the generation. By comparison, Sony wise I am interested in Horizon 2, Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, and Kena, but 2 of those are timed exclusives that I can eventually play on Xbox, while Kena is cross-gen, I can play it on PS4. As for other likely early gen PS5 games, God of War 5 has my interest and Spider-Man 2 might if they go back to Peter, but that is about it. Not very hyped for Naughty Dog’s future since they dropped Uncharted in favor of the rather meh TLOU. Never liked GT or LBP. Sucker Punch won’t have a PS5 game until mid-late gen since they chose to release Ghost of Tsushima so late this gen. Sony just doesn’t have as many early gen games to look forward to for me.

Design
I like simple designs, nothing too flashy. XSX is simple, PS5 is the very definition of flashy. PS5 is also far too big. Noise matters to me a lot as well, and Digital Foundry claims XSX is whisper quiet.

Services
While PS+ has been superior to XBL Gold recently in terms of free games, Gamepass so far is far superior to PS Now, thanks to day one 1st/2nd party games on Gamepass, as well as some 3rd party games available day one.

Controller
The edge goes to Sony on this one, I like that XSX has replaceable batteries, and I love XB1/XSX controller ergonomics. But MS played it too safe here, the controller is 90% the same as XB1. Sony on the other hand is offering innovations like improved haptics feedback and resistance triggers.

In the end, XSX comes out on top by a pretty fair margin. And that is before the July show, which is sure to have many good surprises that will sway me even further towards buying XSX first. At this point the only thing that might sway me to get PS5 first is XSX being $100 or more above PS5, but I find that unlikely given the expensive custom SSD and controller innovations increasing costs on PS5.

Not to be 'that guy' but since you mentioned Kena being crossgen. Most of those Xbox titles you listed are crossgen and playable on Xbox One :P But I get it, its a nice upgrade for people. Oh and PS5 is apparently quieter than PS4, which shouldn't be a surprise considering its size.

But yeah hopefully they bring out more quality games this July reveal. Interested to see if they have any WRPG's games (outside of Fable) in their first party lineup. Also really want to see their cheaper console which allegedly is going to be half the price of Series X and a lot smaller in size.

Last edited by hinch - on 18 June 2020

I was only joking. Yeah If I was into MS exclusives I would play the games best as they can. Next generation hardware will bring a lot of benefits and fidelity that older gen consoles cannot do; like better textures, resolution, frame rate and load times. I mean I would love to play TLOU 2 on better hardware, but will settle for playing on PS4. And Flight Simulator looks very impressive.

Mark Cerny looked quite proud when he talked about the engineering that went into cooling the console, so I wouldn't really sweat it. I'm guessing it won't be silent but a significant improvement over the PS4 when under heavy load.

Last edited by hinch - on 18 June 2020