By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the PS5 should be backwards compatible with all Playstation consoles

BraLoD said:
Otter said:

because it was two gamecubes stuck together ;)

With the power of one.

Around the Network

I stand with consumers and players before the corporations, but we have to be realistic here. PS1 and PS3 games in particular would be an absolute pain in the ass to get running properly on PS5. A few hundred of them? Maybe. But expecting the majority of PS1, PS3 (and even PS2 games) is a huge undertaking in emulation and licensing.
The PlayStation family of home consoles has far more games digitally and physically than Nintendo and Xbox. That's all the more effort required to get most of them running on one console.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Maybe it's just me, but based on how other slides and info boxes were shaped and filled in the presentation, this one seems a little odd and empty...

PS5

PS4 Pro

PS4

Space (PS3)

Space (PS2)

Space (PS1)

KLXVER said:
Would love it, but its not going to happen. I think the only reason we got PS4 BC is Sony panicking because of MS. It would cut into their PSNow profits too much.

Is there a source that says those PSNow profits exist?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

WolfpackN64 said:

The only reason the PS4 might be an issue is that the PS5 will probably use a newer version of FreeBSD (and thus newer, incompatible software libraries). But there are multiple software container platforms that can package the older PS4 libraries for the games to interface with.

Why not just virtualize the Playstation 4's software environment and execute PS4 code natively?
You don't need to worry about compatibility in the Playstation 5's software environment then... It's what Microsoft did.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Otter said:

because it was two gamecubes stuck together ;)

Fair enough, but the WiiU was fully BC with the Wii for 300 bucks. It can be done. Its just not good business.

Wii U was just 3 Wii CPUs overclocked which in itself was an overclocked Gamecube CPU. Nintendo used basically the same CPU for 3 consoles. Just modifyed.

Sony consoles used to be native BC with PS1 games.  I miss that...until July when the Polymega comes in.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Not sure why OP frames this thread as being about "should" when the top post seems 100% about "could" (seemingly assuming the case for "should").
Personally, I don't think "emulation" should qualify as "backwards compatible" it just isn't the same. Maybe alot of people don't care about the difference.
I really don't see the importance of this, who is it for? People who refused to buy older gen Playstations but now suddenly want to play all old catalog?
Most of it can be emulated to reasonable degree on PC, so if you want to play emulated that is available. I don't see how this is fundamentally important.

mutantsushi said:
Not sure why OP frames this thread as being about "should" when the top post seems 100% about "could" (seemingly assuming the case for "should").
Personally, I don't think "emulation" should qualify as "backwards compatible" it just isn't the same. Maybe alot of people don't care about the difference.
I really don't see the importance of this, who is it for? People who refused to buy older gen Playstations but now suddenly want to play all old catalog?
Most of it can be emulated to reasonable degree on PC, so if you want to play emulated that is available. I don't see how this is fundamentally important.

It's along the lines of: "They could, so they should". If emulation allows you to plop a PS1 game in a PS5 and it runs without issues, what's the difference between BC and emulation at that point?

OneTime said:
It's not just the power and capabilities, you also need to license IP (for example, IBM owns the Cell processor from the PS3). In any case, from Sony's point of view it's all about selling new hardware and new games, and you have to see backward compatibility in that light.

So, if you want to play PS2, you are a Retro gamer, and you'll be one Ebay. Or you'll be buying your games one at a time through some equivalent of the Virtual Console App Store. Retro collecting is a pretty cool hobby anyway...

Emulating instruction sets and architectures can be an IP pitfall, but in case of the PS1&2 that's not a problem (since they are Sony designs and the MIPS instructions are quite old) and cleanroom reverse engineered emulation of instructions is a legal grey zone, but probably safe. Also, Cell is a dead architecture, so I don't think IBM would throw a fuss at it being emulated.

WolfpackN64 said:

From a technical standpoint, the PS5 is more then powerful enough to properly emulate PS1, PS2, PS3 (going by RPCS3) and is architecturally extremely compatible with the PS4. The only reason the PS4 might be an issue is that the PS5 will probably use a newer version of FreeBSD (and thus newer, incompatible software libraries). But there are multiple software container platforms that can package the older PS4 libraries for the games to interface with.

Will Sony do this? I somewhat doubt this, and not because they really want you to buy these games again. Veryfying the massive library from the PS1 -> PS4 might simply be impossible and there is always the possability some strange edge case game won't run or will do so poorly. Sony probably doesn't want people to experience a bad case of emulation.

A solution might be something like Steam Play and Proton, where Windows games can run on Linux. Normally, you can only run games verified by Valve to work on Linux. But you can quite easily by searching a menu turn on Proton for ALL Windows games (of course not all games run perfectly on Proton). Sourcing emulators is always a legal minefield, but since Sony build the consoles being emulated, they could work with existing emulators to make their games run.

Thoughts?

Are you going to pay the millions and millions needed to emulate the ps3 games? Even a powerful PC has trouble emulating a ps3. Each game would have to be rebuilt basically.