By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
CGI-Quality said:
Mandalore76 said:

I didn't say it wouldn't be fine.  I was responding to the question posed by the OP regarding it's "looks".  Personally, I don't remember this many negative reactions regarding the look of the PS4, but I could be wrong.

I responded to this:

The top search recommendations on Google don't look promising

That suggests something needs to be done about said design and yes the PS4 had plenty of negative reactions to its design as well (most notably, it didn't look too different from the Xbox One and was simply..... a box). But, even if that weren't the case, the look of the device will hardly matter in the long run.

Yes, "don't look promising" in terms of how many people Like or Dislike the console design, which was the question of the OP.  Being called too similar to other devices or look like a box are favorable reactions compared to what I've seen recently:

Around the Network

It's way too big. It's nice and artsy but is that what you really want in a console?
I really love the Xbox one X design and happy with what Microsoft did with XSX; functionality to have the best cooling solution.

The real question about the PS5 is will it be quiet?

Also, we really need to ask ourselves which next-gen console looks more like a Wifi router? My current router is the box look of the XSX. The next-gen design was inspired by Router's design it seems.

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

S.Peelman said:
CGI-Quality said:

I responded to this:

That suggests something needs to be done about said design and yes the PS4 had plenty of negative reactions to its design as well (most notably, it didn't look too different from the Xbox One and was simply..... a box). But, even if that weren't the case, the look of the device will hardly matter in the long run.

Actually all I remember was that people equated the PS4 to an eraser and the XBOne to a VCR.

Nah, it definitely went beyond that.

Mandalore76 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I responded to this:

Yes, "don't look promising" in terms of how many people Like or Dislike the console design, which was the question of the OP.  Being called too similar to other devices or look like a box are favorable reactions compared to what I've seen recently:

The question is "Do you like the PS5 console design"? "Doesn't look promising" doesn't really answer that and you capped it off by sourcing Google responses. That, again, its what I responded to.

yvanjean said:

It's way too big. It's nice and artsy but is that what you really want in a console?
I really love the Xbox one X design and happy with what Microsoft did with XSX; functionality to have the best cooling solution.

The real question about the PS5 is will it be quiet?

Also, we really need to ask ourselves which next-gen console looks more like a Wifi router? My current router is the box look of the XSX. The next-gen design was inspired by Router's design it seems.

Its more of a form factor and form and function. Running the GPU at such high clocks will need a hefty cooling solution. Yet, they wanted to keep the formfactfor so that it can work just as well in an entertainment stack. So they had to go bigger (in this call taller) to accommodate the larger cooler and fan. Xbox Series X is stackable sideways but isn't designed really designed to.

In the end its a box, so I don't really care as long as its form doesn't compromise the function.

Lest we forget what the mock-ups looked like...

Around the Network

I like it but would prefer an all black version.  Getting a PS5 no matter what because I buy consoles based on “Games” and not how the System looks.  Can’t remember ever playing my PS4 because it looks great sitting in my entertainment center.

CGI-Quality said:

Lest we forget what the mock-ups looked like...

It's like a weird mutant hybrid of the PS5 and XSX.

It looks sexy (I personally like vaginas), but damn is it big.

When you look at it this way, it's a really ugly design.

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

One more comparison, if you just let gravity have its way

So about 9.9 cm high on the left, compared to 5.5 cm height of the ps4 pro.

Ps4 pro looks so small lol.