By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest return to form for a franchise

I would give it to Resident Evil. Has kinda done it 3 times. The RE Remake, RE4 and then RE7.

Around the Network

I honestly haven't experienced too many. So here's one that isn't super massive, but notable.
Super Mario Odyssey. Don't get me wrong, the NSMB games and 3D Land/3D World were really good. They're probably great. But they weren't on the level of some of Mario's most acclaimed platformers. Here comes Super Mario Odyssey, and it's the best Mario game ever.
Here's one, through updates.
EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II. The game improved so much through free updates, and is much closer to the classic Battlefront duology than any other Battlefront release.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Resident Evil 7 probably. I don't think Resident Evil 6 is garbage per se like some do, but the decline after 4 was evident for all to see.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

3D Sonic games were good, until Sonic Heroes, then Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were even worse.

PAOerfulone said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

To be fair, while 3D Sonic has been very hit or miss, 2D Sonic has always been consistently good to great. Outside of the classic Genesis/Mega Drive originals, we’ve had the Sonic Advance trilogy, the Sonic Rush games, Colors DS, even the 3DS Boom games were decent enough. 

So even when the 3D games have had their ups and downs and all arounds, they always had the 2D games to fall back on as the unsung heroes of the franchise.

Relating to what I said earlier. Sonic Unleashed was ok, but Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations were fantastic! Then we got the disappointing Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces.

Wman1996 said:
I honestly haven't experienced too many. So here's one that isn't super massive, but notable.
Super Mario Odyssey. Don't get me wrong, the NSMB games and 3D Land/3D World were really good. They're probably great. But they weren't on the level of some of Mario's most acclaimed platformers. Here comes Super Mario Odyssey, and it's the best Mario game ever.
Here's one, through updates.
EA's Star Wars: Battlefront II. The game improved so much through free updates, and is much closer to the classic Battlefront duology than any other Battlefront release.

^This, except for EA's Battlefront II. I still don't trust EA with the Star Wars license.

Super Mario Odyssey, alongside Crash N Sane Trilogy, were a huge return to form for their respective series, and Mario Odyssey, combined with A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee, basically revived 3D collect-a-thon platformers. Now if only we'd get at least one more collect-a-thon platformer this year.

To me, it is a tie between Mortal Kombat 9 and Super Mario Galaxy.

After Midway and Acclaim had left the franchise for dead, I don't think anyone expected the revival of the Mortal Kombat series the way MK9 did it justice.

However, being more of a Nintendo fan, the one closer to me is Super Mario Galaxy. This game was everything I wanted in a Super Mario game, me being a fan of Super Mario 64 above all mario games. To me, Super Mario 64 was what really made me fall in love with video games. It captured my imagination in ways few other games could, and it also played and looked great (at the time). When Super Mario Sunshine came out, I expected a game that made me dream like Super Mario 64, gave me that same adrenaline rush and pushed things a little further story-wise. But the story turned out to be complete vomit, and the gameplay while it was interesting, wasn't the same as controlling Mario in SM64. Super Mario Galaxy essentially fixed everything I disliked about Sunshine: the story, albeit simple, was good, it captivated my imagination. The music was incredible, fully-orchestrated in a 60-man orchestra. There were cool new motion controls integrated, and a new gravity dynamic that was super fun to explore. It made me be a kid again for just a moment.

Around the Network

Resident Evil VII after the franchise lost the horror element 3 games prior to me is the one that stands out the most.

FFVIIRemake would be another example.
DQ8, tho to a lesser extent. 4, 5 and 6 were all fantastic. Only DQ7 was kinda meh.

With everyone saying Sonic Mania, I'll say Sonic Colors. It was the first good console Sonic game since the Dreamcast days and it showed Sonic could still work in 3d. Generations was the only game to keep the streak going though.

Super Mario Galaxy. Sunshine was the worst 3d Mario largely because it suffered from Nintendo rushing many of its first-party games during the Gamecube era, and Galaxy recaptured the Mario magic. It was a game that made people say 'wow' even though it was on such an underpowered console.

Animal Crossing New Horizons. Not that the previous mainline game was bad. Just that the series suffered from 7 years of crappy spinoffs so any true sequel would be a welcome return to form.

JWeinCom said:
Nautilus said:

If fairly certain that Capcom( Kazuhiro, the current series producer, said this), that a new game is in the works. He said that back in september of last year.

Megaman 11 currently sits at 1.2 million units. For a franchise that just came back from the dead, and with an incredibly low budget, that an outstanding performance.

Plus they haven't stopped releasing new megaman collections. It's been safe to say, for more than a year now, that Megaman is back.

And probably the next game is X9.

Capcom has also said things like they were making Mega Man Legends 3.  I've been hurt by them before.  I'll believe it when I see it.

That was the Capcom who created RE 6. We are now living in an age where Capcom has produced Megaman 11, RE 7 and RE 2R and RE 3 R, DMC 5, and so on.

I get your skepticism, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
JWeinCom said:

Capcom has also said things like they were making Mega Man Legends 3.  I've been hurt by them before.  I'll believe it when I see it.

That was the Capcom who created RE 6. We are now living in an age where Capcom has produced Megaman 11, RE 7 and RE 2R and RE 3 R, DMC 5, and so on.

I get your skepticism, but there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

Being optimistic about the Mega Man series only leads to heartache. Besides, this is also the age where Capcom has produced Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (although Disney's partially to blame for that one) and Dead Rising 4.

JWeinCom said:

Being optimistic about the Mega Man series only leads to heartache. Besides, this is also the age where Capcom has produced Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (although Disney's partially to blame for that one) and Dead Rising 4.

Don't reopen that wound.