By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest return to form for a franchise

Probably Sonic Mania. So many mainline games after Sonic and Knuckles (1994) with many experiments with 2D and 3D on several consoles; with mostly failures.. They went back to the drawing board on what made Sonic games fun and they hit if out of the park with this one.

Around the Network

Dynasty Warriors 7.
Dynasty Warriors 6 was a low point for the series, it wasn't that bad of a game (it grew on me after awhile) but it was still a pretty big decline from DW5. DW7 on the other hand fixed everything wrong with 6 and was exactly what was needed to make the franchise awesome again. DW7 also paved the way for DW8 (IMO the best entry in the franchise), which wasn't revolutionary or anything, it was more an improved 7 with a bunch of extra stuff. But considering they tried something revolutionary with DW6 and it just made the franchise much worse, sometimes a small incremental improvement to what you've already got is the way to do things.

Resident Evil 2 remake.
Seems kind of strange to include a remake here, especially since the main series of the franchise still hasn't returned to form for me (and probably never will) but I've got to give some credit to there finally being another good game that bears the Resident Evil name, even if it is just a remake.

ARamdomGamer said:
Nautilus said:
From Nintendo's side, easily Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem was a dying franchise, mostly because of it's stuborness to evolve and adapt new mechanics to make it's games better than just good. It's thanks to the threat of death that the developers said "what the hell" and actually decided to take a chance and do something they wanted, instead of being held back by what the old fans expected out of the franchise.

Sorry for expecting good level design, strategy and interesting characters out of Awakening.

---

On topic, I think DMC3, after how bad 2 was, picking itself up so perfectly and elevating the entire genre with it is one of my favorite examples.

Played Devil may Cry 3 and loved, but for some reason when I tried the remaster of the 1st on PS3 didn't like and haven't tried the franchise since.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PAOerfulone said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

To be fair, while 3D Sonic has been very hit or miss, 2D Sonic has always been consistently good to great. Outside of the classic Genesis/Mega Drive originals, we’ve had the Sonic Advance trilogy, the Sonic Rush games, Colors DS, even the 3DS Boom games were decent enough. 

So even when the 3D games have had their ups and downs and all arounds, they always had the 2D games to fall back on as the unsung heroes of the franchise.

Having played Sonic Advance, and Sonic Rush, I can say that those games were barely 8/10, but Sonic Mania was easily 10/10.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

Sonic floundered in 3D for decades until some fans came together and finally made a good Sonic game, with the blessing of Sega.

I came in here to mention Sonic Mania and I was not disappointed by the first response. The last truly good Sonic game was released in the mid-90s. Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, & CD are some of the best 2D platformers. I am hoping we get Sonic Mania 2 soon.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Sonic Mania

I came in here to mention Sonic Mania and I was not disappointed by the first response. The last truly good Sonic game was released in the mid-90s. Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, & CD are some of the best 2D platformers. I am hoping we get Sonic Mania 2 soon.

But still even these lower quality 2D sonics are perhaps better than their best 3D entries.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

But still even these lower quality 2D sonics are perhaps better than their best 3D entries.

Sonic Generations and the two Sonic Adventure games are the only 3D Sonic games I remember not being terrible. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
DonFerrari said:

Sonic Generations and the two Sonic Adventure games are the only 3D Sonic games I remember not being terrible. 

I only really liked the 2D part of Generations =p my son really like Sonic Forces though.

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

I only really liked the 2D part of Generations =p my son really like Sonic Forces though.

I guess it was the 2D sections that made Generations a decent game.

trunkswd said:
DonFerrari said:

I guess it was the 2D sections that made Generations a decent game.

Most likely, even more when several of those were basically the genesis ones and gave some nostalgia to us.