By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS Executive says Devs will need to learn how to work around Slower SSD on XSX

ORI dev confirmed what I said. Third parties aren't going to take full advantage of the faster SSD because they are not going to exclude Xbox One series x or PCs that are still using HDD.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Where did I question his credibility? I questioned his technical knowledge. And he accepting there is a considerable gap on the I/O is one thing he can do without much technical knowledge, but assuming that would just make loading times different and nothing else is due to lack of knowledge. We have most devs saying it is much more profound than this.

Questioning his technical knowledge is questioning his credibility, because what value do his statements have when it seems that he doesn't know what he is talking about to begin with?

But virtually all of this is moot anyway. Third party developers aren't going to go through the trouble of building their games for the PS5's SSD and then retooling them all to make them work on other platforms.

Dont really think thats how it works. Devs have a vision per say of how the game should function. they might build that dream game and then scale acordinly. Big resent example of this is the outerworlds. Devs said they had certain levels created and they where working properly but current consoles where not up to the task so they started removing assets until it was working. I asume its the same here. If they build whatever game they enviision and neither ps5 or xsx can handle it, they will start cutting fetures, assets, resolution, framerate and if none that is enough or they cuts are to much and affect the rest of the gae, they will start making changes to the game to fit the hardware. Whos to say that they wont stop making changes when one console arrives at a cetain level of performance and keep working on the other untill it works. Or they stop at the level one can perform and looks great, then just drop the resolution or what ever else on the other cuz they dont want diferent experiences just diferennt vissuals. 

The only devs targeting a specific hadware will be first party devs, or exclusive third party deals. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Snoopy said:

ORI dev confirmed what I said. Third parties aren't going to take full advantage of the faster SSD because they are not going to exclude Xbox One series x or PCs that are still using HDD.

Another xbox dev said xbox has no issues? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Snoopy said:

A dev that won't release games on PS5, doesn't make cutting edge games said it, must be true. He also talked to all devs right?

Using your logic that since X1X run Forza at 4k60fps means the UE5 demo would as well then since PS5 doesn't have Ori it can't run Ori right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

eva01beserk said:
Snoopy said:

Ori developers aren't first party. They are second party at best.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

A dev that won't release games on PS5, doesn't make cutting edge games said it, must be true. He also talked to all devs right?

Yes, because it makes perfect sense for a third party developer to make a game that only works on PS5 and skip out/ gimp the Xbox, Nintendo switch 2 and PC. It's not like this happened before for Blu-ray or Cell processor for PS3 /s

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

It's not just the difference in SSD speed that must be taken into account, but also how the memory is processed. 

Components having direct access to the PS5's SSDs, instead of having to go through multiple paths before reaching their desired locations is also an advantage the PS5's I/O has over the XBSX. It speeds up many processes by forgoing what has been the default memory seeking method since forever now.

What makes you think Microsoft hasn't invested in all the "behind the scenes" technology to drive it's SSD?

What makes you think they have a similar solution to PS5? Where has that ever been mentioned? 

Right.

God forbid the PS5 will have a clear advantage over the XBSX (and PC) in one aspect of its architecture... -___-

Last edited by Hynad - on 09 June 2020

Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, because it makes perfect sense for a third party developer to make a game that only works on PS5 and skip out/ gimp the Xbox, Nintendo switch 2 and PC. It's not like this happened before for Blu-ray or Cell processor for PS3 /s

Yes it does. Expect it pretty frequently in Japanese centric games that sell like dog shit on xbox. Devs wont care to optimize for it as it wont sell anyways. I dont think thouse devs even sent out review copys that are not playstation.

Snoopy said:
eva01beserk said:

Ori developers aren't first party. They are second party at best.

Do they still only make xbox games?

I haven't been on here much lately, and have been slow to find out about some of the gaming news, but reading about all of these comparisons really makes me wonder how much of this is "console war propaganda", how much is bias, and how much is the truth.

I wish I had the ability to jump into a parallel universe where the specs were reversed to see if people latched onto some other aspect where their console was favorable.

Do people really favor a faster SSD over faster GPU/CPU? I guess that is somewhat rhetorical, as I can't expect to get honest answers out of most people. But more importantly, how many actually understand the role the SSD plays?

For an SSD, it's very fast, but that's 5.5GB per second. It's still only 1% the speed of the RAM, and far too slow to matter in the context of a single frame. With the PS5, data can be pulled in twice as quickly from the SSD and written onto RAM, but those speeds are mostly relevant for loading times. That means that looking at the raw specs of both consoles, the XSX will have "better gwafix".

It's 2020, are people just now finding out about SSDs?

Source: my dumb asss