By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS Executive says Devs will need to learn how to work around Slower SSD on XSX

shikamaru317 said:
HollyGamer said:

PS5 will run with variable clock speed " based on workload ", it means it can sustain maximum clock speed forever if it has too, but games don't have the same scene , the same event and the same density of polygon and geometry across the level. So the variable is there to make the efficiency for Power. 

second it will be easy for developer to programed on high clock speed  and also inside the GPu there other command processing unit that better when it run with higher clock speed.

even we have an example on how RTX 2060 desktop (with less shader unit but with higher clock speed ) VS RTX 2080 Max Q Laptop ( with more Shader unit but lower clock speed) . Both have equal performance 

The RAM on Xbox are spilt speed, 6 GB for OS/system run at 300 Gb/s  something, and 10 GB with 560 GB something. Remember in the end  "the high speed " need to match " the lower clock speed ",  because both GPU and CPU need both RAM, so the high speed. In the end it will be just PS5 RAM with 448 Gb/s . PS5 RAM are equally unified all system and VRAM are the same speed. In the end they will be the same. 

Also RAM will not be the biggest factor when it comes to streaming high quality assets. But SSD speed. Unless the  assets are not streamed but pre loaded via loading (by dumping all asset to RAM) . But that's required a lot of RAM and can only be utilize on PC with more system RAM.  

Here's where that guys statement about texture streaming falls apart for me. He claims that games struggle to utilize lots of shaders concurrently, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that when looking at PC benchmarks. XSX has 3328 enabled shader cores running at 1825 mhz. Compare that to Nvidia's Geforce 2080ti, which has a whopping 4352 shaders, more than 1000 more shaders than XSX has, running at 1350 mhz base clock, 1545 mhz boost clock. That comes out to 12.1 tflop for XSX and 11.75 tflop base/13.4 tflop boost for the Geforce 2080ti. Even though Geforce 2080ti has 1000 more shaders than XSX, games don't seem to have any trouble utilizing those shaders.

Here we have a benchmark showing that the 2080ti has a 11 fps improvement over the 2080 Super, which much like PS5, has less shaders running at a higher clock speed, 3072 shaders running at 1650 mhz base, 1815 mhz boost, which comes out to 10.1 tflop base/11.1 tflop boost. 

Here we have another benchmark for a different game, showing a 12 fps gap in minimum framrates between the 2080 Super and the 2080ti:

It seems to me that games don't seem to struggle with shader utilization like he claims, considering that 2080ti can make good use of 1000 more shaders than XSX has.

Is as if you only we change one part of a system with everything else being the same, it somehow reflects only that part switched. Who would have thought. now im wondering what would happen if its a diferent combination of parts in a system. like proprietary parts that are meant to work in unison in a closed system.  

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
HollyGamer said:

PS5 will run with variable clock speed " based on workload ", it means it can sustain maximum clock speed forever if it has too, but games don't have the same scene , the same event and the same density of polygon and geometry across the level. So the variable is there to make the efficiency for Power. 

second it will be easy for developer to programed on high clock speed  and also inside the GPu there other command processing unit that better when it run with higher clock speed.

even we have an example on how RTX 2060 desktop (with less shader unit but with higher clock speed ) VS RTX 2080 Max Q Laptop ( with more Shader unit but lower clock speed) . Both have equal performance 

The RAM on Xbox are spilt speed, 6 GB for OS/system run at 300 Gb/s  something, and 10 GB with 560 GB something. Remember in the end  "the high speed " need to match " the lower clock speed ",  because both GPU and CPU need both RAM, so the high speed. In the end it will be just PS5 RAM with 448 Gb/s . PS5 RAM are equally unified all system and VRAM are the same speed. In the end they will be the same. 

Also RAM will not be the biggest factor when it comes to streaming high quality assets. But SSD speed. Unless the  assets are not streamed but pre loaded via loading (by dumping all asset to RAM) . But that's required a lot of RAM and can only be utilize on PC with more system RAM.  

Here's where that guys statement about texture streaming falls apart for me. He claims that games struggle to utilize lots of shaders concurrently, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that when looking at PC benchmarks. XSX has 3328 enabled shader cores running at 1825 mhz. Compare that to Nvidia's Geforce 2080ti, which has a whopping 4352 shaders, more than 1000 more shaders than XSX has, running at 1350 mhz base clock, 1545 mhz boost clock. That comes out to 12.1 tflop for XSX and 11.75 tflop base/13.4 tflop boost for the Geforce 2080ti. Even though Geforce 2080ti has 1000 more shaders than XSX, games don't seem to have any trouble utilizing those shaders.

Here we have a benchmark showing that the 2080ti has a 11 fps improvement over the 2080 Super, which much like PS5, has less shaders running at a higher clock speed, 3072 shaders running at 1650 mhz base, 1815 mhz boost, which comes out to 10.1 tflop base/11.1 tflop boost. 

Here we have another benchmark for a different game, showing a 12 fps gap in minimum framrates between the 2080 Super and the 2080ti:

It seems to me that games don't seem to struggle with shader utilization like he claims, considering that 2080ti can make good use of 1000 more shaders than XSX has.

Yup  i am fully agree , 11 frame rates different which will translates to equal Resolution for both  with small dip on PS5 or super slightly lower resolution on PS5 with stable frame rates.

also Developer will try to make the games equally good  performance for both , i can bet on that. Especially if the GPU are very close compared to the differences between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X . Even PS4 pro and Xbox One X has small different in terms of performance with often slightly better  resolution on Xbox One X. 

and also remember both will have their own super sampling and resolution scaler to make it look like 4k, Xbox X has DLSS and PS5 will have their own checker board.  Both will look the same

So it's prove how close the GPU is, compared to the IO/SSD.

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 09 June 2020

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

Cop out not need it. I dont get upset that my preferred console does not beat the competition in every aspect and feel the need to damage control. 

No doubt Xbox exclusive multiplayers are better than Playstation, and certainly Nintendo is better than both on this aspect, itself that doesn't tip the scale much because of the multiplats, but sure no need to damage control that.

To be fair, I also dont play any multiplayer. :p

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

No doubt Xbox exclusive multiplayers are better than Playstation, and certainly Nintendo is better than both on this aspect, itself that doesn't tip the scale much because of the multiplats, but sure no need to damage control that.

To be fair, I also dont play any multiplayer. :p

me neither.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
HollyGamer said:

Yup  i am fully agree , 11 frame rates different which will translates to equal Resolution for both  with small dip on PS5 or super slightly lower resolution on PS5 with stable frame rates.

The FPS gap is about a 16% performance difference on one of those 2 games, and about a 22% performance difference on the other game. That is pretty close to the 17% difference in tflops between 12.1 on XSX and 10.3 on PS5. So yeah, I would tend to agree that the gap will be similar in real world performance. Basically XSX should get a slightly higher resolution, or a graphical setting or 2 bumped up to a higher setting from the PC version. PS5 meanwhile should see faster initial loads and fast travel times on all games, and maybe a few other SSD improvements, like less noticeable LoD transitions. That is on multiplat games of course.

graphical setting are related to asset and texture, I am agree Xbox will have slightly better resolution or more stable frame rates. But with faster SSD and costume IO it will result on batter triangle count for high quality assets and high resolution textures. 

So quality asset (IQ)/ high quality 8k textures will be superior on PS5 over Xbox SX.  Unless Xbox using traditional loading method by dumping all assets to the RAM (old gen games) 

Around the Network

8K textures and perpetual max GPU boost mode, this is getting into GAF levels of insanity lol

Damn can’t wait for the systems to be out and there to be games to play so this nonsense is over.

HollyGamer said:
shikamaru317 said:

The FPS gap is about a 16% performance difference on one of those 2 games, and about a 22% performance difference on the other game. That is pretty close to the 17% difference in tflops between 12.1 on XSX and 10.3 on PS5. So yeah, I would tend to agree that the gap will be similar in real world performance. Basically XSX should get a slightly higher resolution, or a graphical setting or 2 bumped up to a higher setting from the PC version. PS5 meanwhile should see faster initial loads and fast travel times on all games, and maybe a few other SSD improvements, like less noticeable LoD transitions. That is on multiplat games of course.

graphical setting are related to asset and texture, I am agree Xbox will have slightly better resolution or more stable frame rates. But with faster SSD and costume IO it will result on batter triangle count for high quality assets and high resolution textures. 

So quality asset (IQ)/ high quality 8k textures will be superior on PS5 over Xbox SX.  Unless Xbox using traditional loading method by dumping all assets to the RAM (old gen games) 

The GPU still has to draw all those triangles, though. If 60fps becomes the standard next gen, it'll have to draw them twice as fast, too. Even if the PS5's SSD can stream all those movie quality assets, I doubt the GPU ciould keep up in that case.

Nah. Devs will just target the lowest common denominator. So the PS5 SSD advantage will mean nothing, along with the XBSX GPU advantage.

I wonder how this might change the marketing scheme's going forward?

Trunkin said:
HollyGamer said:

The GPU still has to draw all those triangles, though. If 60fps becomes the standard next gen, it'll have to draw them twice as fast, too. Even if the PS5's SSD can stream all those movie quality assets, I doubt the GPU ciould keep up in that case.

MS is the one talking about 60fps, I expect most sony games and multiplats to be 30fps.

With the higher frequency on the GPU the rasterization (drawing) also becomes faster

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Snoopy said:

ORI dev confirmed what I said. Third parties aren't going to take full advantage of the faster SSD because they are not going to exclude Xbox One series x or PCs that are still using HDD.

Bulk of PC's sold today, even low-end netbooks use SSD's.
Xbox Series X is also using an SSD.

Most devices today, including phones and tablets... You guessed it. Use an SSD.

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

What makes you think Microsoft hasn't invested in all the "behind the scenes" technology to drive it's SSD?

What makes you think they have a similar solution to PS5? Where has that ever been mentioned? 

Right.

God forbid the PS5 will have a clear advantage over the XBSX (and PC) in one aspect of its architecture... -___-

That is a logical fallacy.
Microsoft has already demonstrated it has invested allot in what drives it's SSD.

And nor am I proclaiming the Playstation 5 doesn't have an advantage over the Xbox Series X in the SSD stakes.

...But verses the PC, the Playstation 5 still cannot match an Enthusiast/Workstation class rig, which is expected of course.

RaptorChrist said:
I haven't been on here much lately, and have been slow to find out about some of the gaming news, but reading about all of these comparisons really makes me wonder how much of this is "console war propaganda", how much is bias, and how much is the truth.

I wish I had the ability to jump into a parallel universe where the specs were reversed to see if people latched onto some other aspect where their console was favorable.

Do people really favor a faster SSD over faster GPU/CPU? I guess that is somewhat rhetorical, as I can't expect to get honest answers out of most people. But more importantly, how many actually understand the role the SSD plays?

For an SSD, it's very fast, but that's 5.5GB per second. It's still only 1% the speed of the RAM, and far too slow to matter in the context of a single frame. With the PS5, data can be pulled in twice as quickly from the SSD and written onto RAM, but those speeds are mostly relevant for loading times. That means that looking at the raw specs of both consoles, the XSX will have "better gwafix".

It's 2020, are people just now finding out about SSDs?

Source: my dumb asss

The next gen consoles are extremely memory limited, which will become more prevalent during the later half of the 9th gen... What an SSD will do in those scenarios is allow for a more effective use of limited Ram resources by holding more data on solid state storage until it's needed.

You are right though, the SSD doesn't do any processing... So just like a few forum users here years ago who said the WiiU was more powerful than the Xbox One/Playstation 4 due to it's eDRAM's bandwidth... Well, it's not a replacement for actual processing resources.

But don't kid yourself, there is tangible benefits for having super fast storage, just like there is tangible benefits to lots of processing power.

SSD's are only cool because that was the main demonstration in the tech reveals... So just like Cell, 8GB GDDR5, Cloud etc' people have latched onto the term and ran with a set narrative.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Depends on the kind of chips they use. Unless that has been specified before and I missed it, the next part will explain why I think it will be more expensive.

For such a fast connection, I don't see Sony using TLC or QLC chips, but rather the more expensive MLC or even SLC or 3D XPoint. Microsoft on the other hand, could use TLC for their chips, which are much cheaper to produce than MLC, SLC or XPoint. There's also the (longshot) possibility that they use NOR memory instead of NAND, since that one is much faster than NAND on read and has a longer MTBF, but is much more expensive (2-3 times as much), less densely packed (50-80% extra size for the same capacity) and is somewhat slower at writing tasks.

Finally, the way it's connected and intertwined with the rest of the hardware could need a thicker PCB with more layers to work out correctly, and that can quickly drive up the prices.

TLC is fine and is likely what both manufacturers are using, it offers the best price/performance, at the very least there might be a chunky Ram cache or SLC cache.
QLC won't be a thing, the drives aren't big enough for that to be economically used.

PCB layer increases could also be a thing.

setsunatenshi said:

Let's see what it means when it comes to the actual games then.

Absolutely agreed.

shikamaru317 said:
padib said:

His post was mostly interesting and correct, except for the point about the SSD swapping (we know it's not true from the road to PS5 video).

Wait, are you telling me that PS5 doesn't have 2nd, empty internal SSD slot? I could have swore I read somewhere that it does. If it only has the one slot, that is even worse than I thought. It would mean that you will have to replace the 825 GB one it comes with with something larger in order to get more storage, which will be even more expensive. On XSX, you should be able to buy a 1 TB SSD cartridge to pop in the expansion slot on the back for about $150 (the price of a 1 TB NVMe SSD currently), doubling your maximum storage from 1 TB to 2 TB. On PS5 you would have to wait until SSD's as fast as the internal one are available off the shelf, and then buy a 2 TB one, which would likely cost $300+, if not $400+. 

I think it does have an nVME slot or a propriety approach like Xbox.

I don't think we can replace the 825Gb drive, but instead add to it.

DonFerrari said:
zero129 said:

What Otter says is true. What you believe is what you want to believe. Like you only believe that SSD is the key to nextgen for the simple reason that its the only thing that PS5 has thats faster then XBSX so clearly your going to cling to it like its some holy grail. However yes SSD will be great for Nextgen but it wont be only a benefit for just Sony to enjoy or mean the PS5 will have games that wont be possible on PC/XBSX.

And here I thought that PS5`s Audio Tempest was a more powerful solution than on XSX.

They might be based on the same AMD technology which could be an evolution of TrueAudio, because they seem to share allot of common design principles...

Which isn't a bad thing, because we haven't had a decent implementation of 3D positional audio since Aureal A3D/nVidia Soundstorm years ago... So having both platforms go down the same path will mean even multiplats will likely push boundaries on this front and that means us consumers win big time.

Rafie said:

So is the GPU and CPU of the Series X a minor advantage of PS5's? I'm genuinely asking. I hear a lot of PS fans say how big the SSD is over XBox's. I also hear Xbox fans say how much more vast the GPU/CPU is over. Won't the GPU/CPU of PS5 offer the same thing as Series X, but on a smaller scale?

The Playstation 5 has a few GPU advantages over the Series X, namely MPixel fillrate and potentially geometry...
Reason for that is whilst the Xbox Series X has more CU's, it's running at a lower clock... So when you look at the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5, some parts of the GPU are identical like 64 ROPS, but due to the fact the PS5 runs at a higher clock, it's ROP throughput is actually superior on the GPU.

It's a case of that the raw numbers isn't telling an entire story.

But without a doubt the Playstation 5 has an advantage in I/O and the Xbox Series X has the overall advantage in CPU/GPU capabilities. - By how much? We need Big Navi to work that out.
And will  it be relevant? We need the actual games to also work that out.

shikamaru317 said:

In Series S case, it seems to have been designed specifically to not hold back next gen development, if the rumors are true anyway. If the leaked specs for Lockhart are accurate, the only differences between Series S and Series X are the weaker GPU (4 tflop vs 12 tflop) and about 4 GB less RAM on Lockhart, the CPU and SSD are supposedly the same speed as the ones used in Series X, so that Series S won't be causing any CPU or storage bottlenecks next gen that hold back development. If that is true, developers should be able to simply reduce resolution from 4k to 1080p or from 1800p to 900p for Series S as examples, with no or few downgrades to other graphical settings like shadow quality, texture quality, character model quality, lighting, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. MS don't want to release a console that will hold back next-gen development.

The reason that you can scale down for Series S if those leaked specs are true, instead of scaling up from Series S, is because the main difference is on the GPU, and GPU features are more scaleable, devs can simply lower resolution or turn down a few other graphical settings using PC presets. CPU, RAM, and storage are far more likely to cause bottlenecks than a GPU is. 

Of course we have to wait and see if those Series S specs leaks hold up. Supposedly MS was going to announce Series S this month, but recently delayed the announce to August. 

Honestly hope the Xbox Series S isn't a thing.

HollyGamer said:

also SSD is not just loading but streaming assets , texture, etc. it will be resulting on better quality assets , high texture resolution , more dense, more real life like and photo realistic. 

So in worst case scenario we will see 1400p on PS5 with 8k texture and large  triangle account,  while on Xbox SX we will see around 1500p  with 4k texture and small triangle account. Both will have the same Frame Rates. with slightly better Ray Tracing on Xbox SX. 

Pretty bold assertions and rather redundant arbitrary numbers.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 09 June 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--