By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo badly needs to get more of their back catalog released on Switch digitally

Nintendo's handling of their retro library is absolutely mindboggling and except for licensing issues there's no reason whatsoever for why at the very least every first party game up to and including the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance shouldn't be available for purchase on the Switch. Bring back the Virtual Console, dangit.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
javi741 said:

I think Youtuber Arlo made a good point on why Nintendo is taking so long releasing retro games and why they're releasing them in a subscription service instead of charging for individual games. Nintendo wants to use the NSO subscription as a long-term revenue stream and likely is taking so long releasing games to hype up the service for each release and keep subscribers hooked by anticipating new releases and drip feeding them games they've never experienced.

If Nintendo were to offer their entire back-catalog of games from the start, it's possible that within a year the subscriber could have experienced all the games he wanted and might not be inclined to subscribe to NSO for multiple years since he doesn't feel the incentive of spending a yearly amount to experience games he's already experienced within his first year of the service. What gives some evidence to this is Nintendo revealing SNES games as part of the NSO subscription a year after NSO started when Nintendo knew many users' NSO subscription were going to expire on the 1 Year Anniversary of NSO, so to keep subscribers hooked they revealed SNES games.

Unfortunately, it's likely going to take years for the Switch to get Nintendo's entire back catalog of games, Nintendo's going to is trying to keep subscribers hooked by revealing a new console's catalog of games that subscribers haven't experienced yet, and Nintendo is gonna do this yearly.

That would be ok... If they actually put interesting games consistently. It's been half a year since the last actual good first party title on NSO on either NES or SNES.

Nintendo is doing an awful job if their plan is to keep people paying for classic games. 

It's unfortunate that you don't like Rygar and Wild Guns, which both released in May. Those are very good games and you might like them when you give them a shot.

(See what I did there? Giving a shot at Wild Guns? Hurr Hurr.)

Nah I rather play them on my CRT on the original console lol.

I really don't why not release their old games digitally

The Nintendo Switch is a huge succes and it is outsell the PS4 , without a lot of games

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
javi741 said:

I think Youtuber Arlo made a good point on why Nintendo is taking so long releasing retro games and why they're releasing them in a subscription service instead of charging for individual games. Nintendo wants to use the NSO subscription as a long-term revenue stream and likely is taking so long releasing games to hype up the service for each release and keep subscribers hooked by anticipating new releases and drip feeding them games they've never experienced.

If Nintendo were to offer their entire back-catalog of games from the start, it's possible that within a year the subscriber could have experienced all the games he wanted and might not be inclined to subscribe to NSO for multiple years since he doesn't feel the incentive of spending a yearly amount to experience games he's already experienced within his first year of the service. What gives some evidence to this is Nintendo revealing SNES games as part of the NSO subscription a year after NSO started when Nintendo knew many users' NSO subscription were going to expire on the 1 Year Anniversary of NSO, so to keep subscribers hooked they revealed SNES games.

Unfortunately, it's likely going to take years for the Switch to get Nintendo's entire back catalog of games, Nintendo's going to is trying to keep subscribers hooked by revealing a new console's catalog of games that subscribers haven't experienced yet, and Nintendo is gonna do this yearly.

That would be ok... If they actually put interesting games consistently. It's been half a year since the last actual good first party title on NSO on either NES or SNES.

Nintendo is doing an awful job if their plan is to keep people paying for classic games. 

I think a major reason why we aren't seeing more classic first party games, and why Nintendo likes to slow down the more it runs out of older systems and gets closer to GCN/GBA/DS is that it wants to make sure that it saves those games in case it greenlights a port or remaster of them to sale as a standalone retail version or in a collection.

I can name plenty of counter-examples of Virtual Console games eventually getting remasters/remakes/collections, but I chalk that up to Nintendo of a few years earlier not knowing what Nintendo of a few years later would want to do, not to mention that remaking games that are around a quarter century or older at this point can be considered a completely different experience.

Why give out Super Mario Sunshine for the cost of a subscription when you can up-res it and sell it at $40 USD, remake it and sell it at $60 USD, or include it in a collection?

padib said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Hence why Switch Online replaced the Virtual Console. -_-

Sure, but there are only a handful of games on it. That was my point.

I'm hoping that this is the very last time that Nintendo has to restart its VC/VC-like service from zero, and that the NSO subscription that is carried over to whatever form the Switch 2 is has access to every retro game on it released from the get-go. And I'm pretty sure there are plenty of indies out there that would love to work out a deal with Nintendo to allow their games to be free on the service for good or for a certain amount of time. Get on that already, Nintendo.

Rafie said:
I still have never played Mario Sunshine. I would love to as I've never owned it on GC. I would also love to revisit the Galaxy series again. I do have them on my Wii though. I'm looking forward to Nintendo releasing some more titles again. They really should.

You’re not missing much by skipping Sunshine. It’s not a game of the same epic scale and diversity as the other Mario games (2D and 3D alike). In my opinion, the squirt gun felt gimmicky, Yoshi’s implementation was frustrating, the camera was even more frustrating (it might be worse than Mario 64, I really hated having to get things precise with the camera in those two games, just to make a section playable), and it remains the slowest paced Mario game to date.

Galaxy came out only a few years later, but even to this day the game feels cutting edge in much of its design. Sunshine was dated at the time of its release, and I can only imagine it’s worse today. The stunning discrepancy in quality between Sunshine and Galaxy makes me wonder if they even had the same dev teams.

If you can get past all the short-comings of Sunshine, you can probably enjoy the game. I wasn’t able to.

It’s not the only Mario game that disappointed me, but I don’t want to open that can right now =P

Last edited by Jumpin - on 09 June 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wow. SoulSilver is $100 CIB? I really need to buy that soon. Looks like it is about to become a modern day Dracula X or Earthbound. I still remember being able to pick up Earthbound for $50 back in 2007. It's $230 now!

While I'm a big retro gamer myself I've come to realize that most people are not really interested in playing old games and even less interested in actually paying for old games. Most people who want to play old games will be perfectly fine with using an emulator and not pay a cent. I would dare to say nintendo realized about this too with their virtual console attempts and decided the effort to bring an entire catalog to their current console is not worth it. Maybe that is why they are trying a different approach with NSO