By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo badly needs to get more of their back catalog released on Switch digitally

You are slightly wrong. Gold, Silver and Crystal did get an eshop release on the 3DS a few years after Red, Blue and Yellow. Also, whilst they aren’t that common, I occasionally come across copies of the 5th Gen in my local second hand retailer which are all under £30. I don’t think those are old enough to have seen a major price rise.

But on your main point, Nintendo putting more older Pokemon games on the eshop won’t be a bad idea.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:

You are slightly wrong. Gold, Silver and Crystal did get an eshop release on the 3DS a few years after Red, Blue and Yellow. Also, whilst they aren’t that common, I occasionally come across copies of the 5th Gen in my local second hand retailer which are all under £30. I don’t think those are old enough to have seen a major price rise.

But on your main point, Nintendo putting more older Pokemon games on the eshop won’t be a bad idea.

Not Heartgold or SoulSilver.  Those were the DS remakes.  

Edit:Nvm poor comprehension on my part.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 08 June 2020

It's kinda ridiculous. You have some of the most beloved games in history but you won't make them available for the current generation. I mean, I get it there's emulation but what about people who just want to have a genuine experience or an experience as close to genuine as possible without having to hunt down old hardware and software?

Though, with that being said their current Switch Online offerings in terms of 1st party isn't bad. If they continue with Gameboy, 64, GBA, and Gamecube then that'd be even better but I'd imagine that they'd want a bit more per month/year for anything over Gameboy.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 08 June 2020

shikamaru317 said:
SecondWar said:

I thought I remembered Gold/Silver/Crystal getting a 3DS eShop release as well, but when I checked the wikipedia page I saw nothing about them, so I thought my memory was just playing tricks on me. 

It doesn’t seem to mention it with the other release dates but it does reference in the last paragraph of the header text. In any case

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-gold-version-3ds/

i agree. there are tons of older games i would love to play (again) on switch.

off the top of my head: metroid prime trilogy, galaxy 1&2, super mario sunshine, f-zero gx, metroid other m, wind waker, twilight princess, skyward sword, dkc returns, the last story, resident evil lightgun games, star wars the clone wars, viewtiful joe 1&2, etc etc

Around the Network

I still have never played Mario Sunshine. I would love to as I've never owned it on GC. I would also love to revisit the Galaxy series again. I do have them on my Wii though. I'm looking forward to Nintendo releasing some more titles again. They really should.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Yes that is a lot of money on the table. I don't care much for BC while I like remasters and mainly remakes. But if you can make good money out of small effort you should

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think Youtuber Arlo made a good point on why Nintendo is taking so long releasing retro games and why they're releasing them in a subscription service instead of charging for individual games. Nintendo wants to use the NSO subscription as a long-term revenue stream and likely is taking so long releasing games to hype up the service for each release and keep subscribers hooked by anticipating new releases and drip feeding them games they've never experienced.

If Nintendo were to offer their entire back-catalog of games from the start, it's possible that within a year the subscriber could have experienced all the games he wanted and might not be inclined to subscribe to NSO for multiple years since he doesn't feel the incentive of spending a yearly amount to experience games he's already experienced within his first year of the service. What gives some evidence to this is Nintendo revealing SNES games as part of the NSO subscription a year after NSO started when Nintendo knew many users' NSO subscription were going to expire on the 1 Year Anniversary of NSO, so to keep subscribers hooked they revealed SNES games.

Unfortunately, it's likely going to take years for the Switch to get Nintendo's entire back catalog of games, Nintendo's going to is trying to keep subscribers hooked by revealing a new console's catalog of games that subscribers haven't experienced yet, and Nintendo is gonna do this yearly.

javi741 said:

I think Youtuber Arlo made a good point on why Nintendo is taking so long releasing retro games and why they're releasing them in a subscription service instead of charging for individual games. Nintendo wants to use the NSO subscription as a long-term revenue stream and likely is taking so long releasing games to hype up the service for each release and keep subscribers hooked by anticipating new releases and drip feeding them games they've never experienced.

If Nintendo were to offer their entire back-catalog of games from the start, it's possible that within a year the subscriber could have experienced all the games he wanted and might not be inclined to subscribe to NSO for multiple years since he doesn't feel the incentive of spending a yearly amount to experience games he's already experienced within his first year of the service. What gives some evidence to this is Nintendo revealing SNES games as part of the NSO subscription a year after NSO started when Nintendo knew many users' NSO subscription were going to expire on the 1 Year Anniversary of NSO, so to keep subscribers hooked they revealed SNES games.

Unfortunately, it's likely going to take years for the Switch to get Nintendo's entire back catalog of games, Nintendo's going to is trying to keep subscribers hooked by revealing a new console's catalog of games that subscribers haven't experienced yet, and Nintendo is gonna do this yearly.

That would be ok... If they actually put interesting games consistently. It's been half a year since the last actual good first party title on NSO on either NES or SNES.

Nintendo is doing an awful job if their plan is to keep people paying for classic games. 

Nintendo will only have a significant refresh of legacy games for the service every September or whatever the month is where the majority of 1 year subscriptions are coming to an end.

You'll get probably some N64 games this September to entice people to sign on for another year but not before that. Once they get you signed on for the full year ... zero fucks are given lol.