By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Persona 5 the best jprg of the last 20 years ?

After 100 hours, i am quite convinced that Persona 5 is the most innovative, full package JRPG.

Story with multiple twists and suspence X

Gameplay that every single move Counts, regardless of Level x

Fast paced Gameplay that doesnt feel repetitive or boring x (many rpgs suffer from this)

Huge amount of Content(last time a jprg went for 100 Hours ???)

Thoughts ?

Around the Network

It's not even the best Persona game of the last 20 years.

Two words:
Xenoblade Chronicles. ;)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 June 2020

No. Damn fine game but not as good as Persona 4. Then we have Xenoblade. Ys Oath of Felghana. Trails of Cold Steel. Final Fantasy XII. XenoSaga. Lost Odyssey. Vanillaware games. Dragon Quest 8 and XI. The Last Story. Skies of Arcadia. SNT Nocturne. SMT IV. Valkyria Chronicles 4. Almost any FE game in that time. Tales of Vesperia and many many more that are also insanely great. Persona 5 while great. It has a lot of padding and pacing issues. Not a huge fan of how they force you to take a break on the dungeons. Breaks the flow. Persona 5 has substance but the balance of style and substance are offset. Leans more to style. I'd put it in the top 100 in the last 20 years but it would be pretty low on the list.

Last edited by Leynos - on 04 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Those saying Xenoblade Chronicles or FF or Valkyria or Dragon Quest games, i have played them all.
Persona 5 has a more smart system than all of them combined.

Still in the early hours of Persona. A bit too much high school stuff for me but Im enjoying it

Edit: My favourite JRPG of the last 2 decades is FFX. A bit simple but my god that world and story was told immaculately for its time. 

Are we talkin' vanilla Persona 5 or Persona 5 Royal?

I enjoyed it quite a bit and it made my top 50 games of all time, but I have ~7 JRPGs ahead of it from the past 20 years.

I'm fine with putting it in the top 5 but I'm not sure it necessarily takes the top spot.