By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Persona 5 the best jprg of the last 20 years ?

Personally, i love the orginal as much as i love P5R. Still best jrpg of this century.

Around the Network

Persona 5 vanilla or Royal for me is definitely the best JRPG I have played in a long time. The only one that comes close is maybe Lost Odyssey.

I never played P5, mostly because I found Persona 4 to be extremely boring.  Kept falling asleep while playing it.  I will probably never play P5 for this reason.

My favorite JRPG of the past 20 years is Dark Souls.  If you don't count action games then it's Valkyria Chronicles.  If you don't count strategy games either then it's Final Fantasy 9.  In fact I've played a lot of JRPGs from the past 20 years and almost all of them are better than Persona 4.  I somehow doubt Persona 5 would take the series from near the bottom to near the top.

In the end it's all a matter of taste though.  Persona is definitely not my taste.

Persona 5 is a good game yes, but that was one of the weakest explanations on WHY Persona 5 is a good game I’ve ever seen.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Hm, it's pretty close but FFX still edges Persona 5 for me. (Maybe that'll change once I play Royal which I bought release day but haven't got around to actually playing yet).

Around the Network

The past 20 years includes FFX, FFXII, Dragon Quest VIII, Dragon Quest XI, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Ni no Kuni. So no.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 04 June 2020

I dont know if I'd say its "the best jprg of the last 20 years", but it'd definitely make my Top 5 best Persona games.

Nope. It's great, but not the best

Persona 5, Persona 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest VIII and XI, Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Kingdom Hearts, Golden Sun, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, Tales of Symphonia. None of this options is a wrong answer for the question you are asking.

I'd have to go back to it. I lost interest as I was starting the second palace and now it's been too long and I feel like I'd have to start over. I really liked the combat but the high school/life simulator stuff takes too much place and isn't very interesting.

Signature goes here!