By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official Protest Thread

pikashoe said:
Can someone explain the logic of having these protests in the middle of a pandemic that is killing black people at much higher rate. There are multiple sources that say covid-19 is killing black people at rates as high as 4 times the rate of white people and not only in the US. Something needs to be done but I don't understand how getting potentially thousands more killed is going to help. I'm open to opinions here.

The "logic" is that this isn't about logic. People didn't suddenly just say "now seems like a good time for a protest". An unarmed black man was murdered in the streets by a cop. That is why the protests are happening now.

And yes, something needs to be done. That is what these protests are fighting for. The fact that black people are disproportionately dying of covid shows that the system is broken and we need to demand change. History has showed us that this change won't come until we fight for it.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
pikashoe said:
Can someone explain the logic of having these protests in the middle of a pandemic that is killing black people at much higher rate. There are multiple sources that say covid-19 is killing black people at rates as high as 4 times the rate of white people and not only in the US. Something needs to be done but I don't understand how getting potentially thousands more killed is going to help. I'm open to opinions here.

The "logic" is that this isn't about logic. People didn't suddenly just say "now seems like a good time for a protest". An unarmed black man was murdered in the streets by a cop. That is why the protests are happening now.

And yes, something needs to be done. That is what these protests are fighting for. The fact that black people are disproportionately dying of covid shows that the system is broken and we need to demand change. History has showed us that this change won't come until we fight for it.

I agree that change needs to happen, but is this the way to do it at this particular moment in time. If this pandemic wasn't going on I'd be supportive of these protests. I'm just afraid of the potentially massive cost of life that will come from this. We know if a big spike does arise that dumb racists will just use it as a way to justify there racism. Which could end up making racial tensions even worse.

Maybe you're right and these protests will make things better, but there's also a chance that they wont and things could get even worse.

RolStoppable said:
pikashoe said:

Like sundin13 said, the timing is due to the killing of George Floyd.

However, there is actually logic that makes the current timing especially good. Covid-19 is an illness that doesn't care about race, so it can work as an amplifier to help achieve change. The people in power wouldn't care about black communities (hence why this has been an ongoing problem for a century; riots come and go, justice gets postponed time and time again), but with covid-19 yet to be under control in the USA and mass gatherings of people of all colors being highly counterproductive to gain control, there are potential collateral effects that scare the people in power for real. If the economy can't be properly restarted or has to be iced again, then that would be a nightmare for the USA. That would be a situation where even some of the rich lifelong racists would put pressure on the government to give black communities at least something, simply because it would be less damaging to their wealth.

Obviously I'm aware of why people are protesting so please don't tell me it's because George Floyd was killed. I know it is. EDIT: Sorry that came across a bit aggressive0

That's a good point you make. Although covid kind of does see race in a certain way. As I stated black people are dying disproportionately because of it. Which is explained by socio economic issues for black people. But you do explain it well. 

Ka-pi96 said:
pikashoe said:

I agree that change needs to happen, but is this the way to do it at this particular moment in time. If this pandemic wasn't going on I'd be supportive of these protests. I'm just afraid of the potentially massive cost of life that will come from this. We know if a big spike does arise that dumb racists will just use it as a way to justify there racism. Which could end up making racial tensions even worse.

Maybe you're right and these protests will make things better, but there's also a chance that they wont and things could get even worse.

Then they should be reminded that right wing people (possibly them even) were protesting against the lockdowns before the protests against racism started.

I know racists don't usually care that they're hypocrites, but still...

In a better world they would see that hypocrisy. But they'll ignore it and turn the situation into a weapon to create fear.

sundin13 said:
JRPGfan said:

Tonight with John Oliver
LastWeekTonight (2014) : Ferguson, MO and Police Militarization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

Comedy Central (2014) : The Daily Show - We Can’t Breathe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KqDIPdCOg

Ironic that its the usual supects...
Sen. ran paul (now against a anti-lynching bill), fox and friends (hannity), Rudy Giuliani ect.

This isnt a new issue.

He just released a new video. I think it is very much worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY

Just wanted to post this one, too. Really frightening what comes to light there.

And for those who complained about looting, just have a look at the end of the video, truly powerful stuff.

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
sundin13 said:

Logic is not humanities strong point.

Last year 235 black people were killed by the police in the USA.
21,878 black people were killed by covid19 up to may 26, about 21.7% of the total deaths at that point.
Last week had 5306 reported deaths in the USA, thus about 1150 black people lose there lives, every week while this keeps going.
(Black people have a higher death rate, however in absolute numbers, still more white people die of covid19)

The USA has already lost its decline and is hovering around break even week over week.

So yes, logic says, these protests will end up killing far more people than the police managed in many years.

However you can't protest a virus nor hold a virus responsible. Racism kills in far more ways than police brutality and its about time some real changes happen. Tanking the economy is a way to force reform and people have died for less worthy causes. It sucks though that its mostly the 60+ that will take the hit of these protests. (80% of deaths are people over 60) Old people are racists anyway....

Antifa are terrorists.....

But the Far Right that faked being Antifa on social media to gather violent people to loot are just fine.
Same with this guy :

Swell people.

Remember when Trump urged protesters to go "liberate" states?
You had white republicans show up armed with assault riffles, storm into government buildings..... and that was okay.
Trump called them "fine people".

However you cannot protest peacefully against police brutality?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 June 2020

Hiku said:

What the hell..  Military Sonic weaponry (Long-Range-Acoustic-Device) used on citizens?

Supposedly this is 149 dB+ (some go over 162 dB) and over 2000m+ range.
And there were deemed as a banned weaponry for the Iraq War.  (going by a random user on twitter's claims)

So a weapon thats so harmfull to civilians, its banned for war usage, is now being used by police against mostly peacefull protesters?
Wtf America?

When do you guys bring out the tanks? or the rocket launchers? or fire "real" bullets instead of rubber ones?
Full on war on your own people?

"They are now using these as weapons, not communication systems, on US soil against peaceful protesters. They are banned in the geneva convention and are being used as less-than-lethal weapons by the police in response to protests ABOUT police brutality. Disgusting." - Asher Hodges YT video about LRADs.

"The threshold for hearing damage is around 90 decibels, these things can hit 160+. I've been watching videos of people testing them out & hands and earplugs do very VERY little to block out the sound and it remains painful for them--and the threshold for hearing PAIN is, by some evolutionary glitch, not till around 130 for most folks." - everywhirlingplanet YT video about LRADs.

So supposedly they blast these things upto 130+ dB, so people get sick, and experiance "pain" from being blasted by sound waves.
*IF* you cover your ears, and move out of its path quickly, you dont suffer too badly.
However if you cannot move away quickly (your packed in with a group of other protesters), and this hits you for a prolonged duration.... Hello Permanent hearing loss.

You can trust the police to use minimal force, when useing a weapon banned by the geneva convention right?
Because if they fire these upto 162 dB, your f***ed even if you cover your ears.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 June 2020

JRPGfan said:

Antifa are terrorists.....

How can that be? They're not backed and funded by the US govt. :P

sethnintendo said:
SanAndreasX said:

Ignited tear gas is what destroyed the Symbionese Liberation Army's hideout and the Branch Davidian compound.

The Waco cult mainly set their building on fire themselves.  They dumped gas and lit it on multiple sides of building and it went up quick.  It burnt down so quickly because they built it shitty and it wouldn't have passed any building code if properly inspected.

They did, that's true.

But the reason for that is that some police were saying they wanted to discuss all while others were crushing their cars and were increasingly agressive in their negotiations, dealing the siege like it was a hostage situation. The FBI lost patience, and the Branch Davidians felt like this was the foretold apocalypse, which just strengthened their resolve to fight to the death. The fact that those who were released early on were treated like criminals didn't help either, especially concerning the children still inside the compound, who refused to leave due to this.

While the Waco cult siege was handled by the FBI and not the police, they too were too rash and agressive and turned a situation which could have been resolved peacefully into a bloodbath.