By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official Protest Thread

Biggest effect of the riots so far: guns and ammo sales skyroketed. People want to protect their properties and what is left fo their small businesses.

Around the Network

No justice, no peace.

Here's a list of reputable BLM organizations that you can donate to if you can't protest, anything helps.

Last edited by tsogud - on 08 June 2020

JRPGfan said:
Hiku said:

What the hell..  Military Sonic weaponry (Long-Range-Acoustic-Device) used on citizens?

Supposedly this is 149 dB+ (some go over 162 dB) and over 2000m+ range.
And there were deemed as a banned weaponry for the Iraq War.  (going by a random user on twitter's claims)

So a weapon thats so harmfull to civilians, its banned for war usage, is now being used by police against mostly peacefull protesters?
Wtf America?

When do you guys bring out the tanks? or the rocket launchers? or fire "real" bullets instead of rubber ones?
Full on war on your own people?

"They are now using these as weapons, not communication systems, on US soil against peaceful protesters. They are banned in the geneva convention and are being used as less-than-lethal weapons by the police in response to protests ABOUT police brutality. Disgusting." - Asher Hodges YT video about LRADs.

"The threshold for hearing damage is around 90 decibels, these things can hit 160+. I've been watching videos of people testing them out & hands and earplugs do very VERY little to block out the sound and it remains painful for them--and the threshold for hearing PAIN is, by some evolutionary glitch, not till around 130 for most folks." - everywhirlingplanet YT video about LRADs.

So supposedly they blast these things upto 130+ dB, so people get sick, and experiance "pain" from being blasted by sound waves.
*IF* you cover your ears, and move out of its path quickly, you dont suffer too badly.
However if you cannot move away quickly (your packed in with a group of other protesters), and this hits you for a prolonged duration.... Hello Permanent hearing loss.

You can trust the police to use minimal force, when useing a weapon banned by the geneva convention right?
Because if they fire these upto 162 dB, your f***ed even if you cover your ears.

LRADs had been used against protests before. However, like you said, they are a major health risk, hence why the ACLU recommends ending their use against protesters. Plus, Sound goes into all directions, so chances are high that bystanders and inhabitants would be hit or at least affected, too.

Oh, they also provide a fact sheet about them: https://www.aclu.org/fact-sheet/acoustic-weapons-fact-sheet

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 08 June 2020

How the fuck did they get their hands on that?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dunno if this was posted yet, but here's a spreadsheet of the hundreds of documented instances of police brutality in the US in the last two weeks. More being added all the time:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1YmZeSxpz52qT-10tkCjWOwOGkQqle7Wd1P7ZM1wMW0E/htmlview?pru=AAABcql6DI8*mIHYeMnoj9XWUp3Svb_KZA&fbclid=IwAR2pw97Whwdjuqi9xUoveobAEsUbaCuG4iNYOKHVOwc_x_ceDOHfntKA-Go

Around the Network

Shoutout to the members of the policeforce that are good human beings,please do not forget about them.

There were 100's of police/fire fighters protesting the assaultcharges for these two clowns. Ridiculous.

John2290 said:

Why are so many police having accidents at these protests? These largely peaceful protests? Are they slipping on banana peels and stepping on randomly placed rakes...

I wonder whose bright idea it was to use horses in protests...

Two officers were seriously injured, including a Mounted Branch officer who was knocked from her horse when it hit a set of traffic lights whilst appearing to bolt.

Ms Ahmed, who was not at Downing Street during the disturbance, said a "lot of people" she spoke to "feared for their lives when they saw police horses". "I don't think that was the best tactic to use if you're trying to create a peaceful environment," she said.

Sure they are trained to remain calm in loud messy environments yet,
A. What can you do while sitting on a horse, except club people or trample them.
B. All animals have their limits no matter how well trained.
C. Horses can seriously injure people or even kill them.

Mounted police, just another dumb tradition that needs to go.

They are beautifully polished horses though, tax money well spent...

JWeinCom said:
COKTOE said:

Just my two cents. The first thread should have been the official one. The second one should have been closed immediately. Now we have a third one...lots of conversation, continuity, and likely, traction, is lost in doing things this way. Well too late now though. 

Our thinking was that the first thread framed the issue in a particular way, from a foreign perspective.  Same reason we let the second one stay open, although in retrospect we maybe should have closed it right away. I think the best move would have been for us to make an official topic for it earlier on, since it was obvious that this would be kind of a big deal.  Live and learn.

Well, that was explained nicely. I guess the only real drawback to how things unfolded is that so many posts have been lost to the oblivion of thread locks. Things have continued on quite nicely in terms of engagement though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

pikashoe said:
Can someone explain the logic of having these protests in the middle of a pandemic that is killing black people at much higher rate. There are multiple sources that say covid-19 is killing black people at rates as high as 4 times the rate of white people and not only in the US. Something needs to be done but I don't understand how getting potentially thousands more killed is going to help. I'm open to opinions here.

I personally do not approve of the protests during the pandemic.  I didn't approve of it when people were protesting for haircuts, and I'm not going to change my opinion based on whether or not they're protesting for a better reason.

That being said, I'm a person who feels threatened by Covid-19 and do not feel particularly threatened by police brutality or racism in general.  I believe the logic is that you have to strike while the iron's hot. Change requires getting massive amount of people involved, and you're usually only going to have that opportunity when some particular event has occurred.  I guess people think the change is important enough to be worth the risk, and that now is the best time to make it happen.