By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Trials of Mana Remake didnt make any noise, unlike FF7 Remake.

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
Spike0503 said:

Maybe I wouldn't got that far cause I've played and liked some others like Chrono Trigger and Legend of Dragoon but I can definitely echo your sentiment. I don't love every FF but when I find one that I do enjoy then there just isn't anything quite like it out there.

Perhaps I was a little harsh since there are some I liked, Persona (probably will like Yakuza 7), Nier, kinda liked Ni-no-kuni and Tales of Zestiria, etc. But I can't say I like the genre as a whole. But if I analyze myself I don't really love a specific genre, it is more of some genres I like more games and others I like less.

Yeah, I can sympathize with this.

For example, I thought I liked horror games as a whole but I think what I really enjoy is RE-like games. Games where all you do is run away from threats are really boring to me and that's what you find in some classics of the genre like Clock Tower and of course all of the Amnesia-clones that we got after Amnesia exploded.

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:
DonFerrari said:

Perhaps I was a little harsh since there are some I liked, Persona (probably will like Yakuza 7), Nier, kinda liked Ni-no-kuni and Tales of Zestiria, etc. But I can't say I like the genre as a whole. But if I analyze myself I don't really love a specific genre, it is more of some genres I like more games and others I like less.

For example, I thought I liked horror games as a whole but I think what I really enjoy is RE-like games. Games where all you do is run away from threats are really boring to me and that's what you find in some classics of the genre like Clock Tower and of course all of the Amnesia-clones that we got after Amnesia exploded.

True, although some psicological horror makes a good thing. Alien Isolation I just absolutely love, you can't really kill anything and things kill you easily on hard, but it is thrilling. I guess it is more that some games get the right balance and others just abuse mechanics, like turn based or tatics like game they can be good, the mechanic can be excellent or it can just be a bore.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Spike0503 said:

True, although some psicological horror makes a good thing. Alien Isolation I just absolutely love, you can't really kill anything and things kill you easily on hard, but it is thrilling. I guess it is more that some games get the right balance and others just abuse mechanics, like turn based or tatics like game they can be good, the mechanic can be excellent or it can just be a bore.

We're getting away from the main topic a bit haha, but yeah, I agree with you once again. Isolation worked for me cause, while the Alien was indestructible, your actions did have an effect on it with the use of distraction devices and even other humans on the station.

The android enemies also worked GREAT as a way to release stress. After being hunted down like a rat for hours, being able to defend yourself against something was a breath of fresh air. The game provided a great balance as you said.

Spike0503 said:
DonFerrari said:

We're getting away from the main topic a bit haha, but yeah, I agree with you once again. Isolation worked for me cause, while the Alien was indestructible, your actions did have an effect on it with the use of distraction devices and even other humans on the station.

The android enemies also worked GREAT as a way to release stress. After being hunted down like a rat for hours, being able to defend yourself against something was a breath of fresh air. The game provided a great balance as you said.

I tried to avoid all combat like a little bitch, until I picked the flamethrower then everything changed and I became a mofo.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Dulfite said:

Are you my father?

I'm a lot stricter with my son and myself =p

But that is real, only very bad games get a 50-60 meta, the average game is on the 75 neighborhood.

Leynos said:

Nah. ToMR is great. Tho I find this thread unnecessary as the popularity of the two has a massive gap between them and it should be obvious.

On your opinion. Doesn't really seem to be a consensus.

Spike0503 said:

You hit the nail on the head for me and even provided an example that I 100% agree with. I adore VII and VIII for their blend of modernity and fantasy. There's just not that many J-RPGs with the kind of aesthetics the FF games have. I really wanna get into more classic J-RPGs but after playing FF VI-VII-VIII there's just not that many that connect me with me in the same way.

I tried to get into the Breath of Fire games some time ago and I just couldn't get into them for that reason. That's why the Mana games don't interest me at all.

I played several JRPG to basically discover that i don't like JRPGs in general, but love FF.

Most JRPG fans I have seen play it have enjoyed it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm a lot stricter with my son and myself =p

But that is real, only very bad games get a 50-60 meta, the average game is on the 75 neighborhood.

On your opinion. Doesn't really seem to be a consensus.

I played several JRPG to basically discover that i don't like JRPGs in general, but love FF.

The collective of anedota isn't data. And if the game was great it would hardly have such low score and not great sales. Sure it can please a niche, I really liked Death Stranding and Days Gone and think they are great. But considering market wise they aren't accepted as great.

And sincerelly when looking at the trailer for the remake it looks like a PS2 game so it really isn't up to modern standard at all, not even AA or even A level game.

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

The collective of anedota isn't data. And if the game was great it would hardly have such low score and not great sales. Sure it can please a niche, I really liked Death Stranding and Days Gone and think they are great. But considering market wise they aren't accepted as great.

And sincerelly when looking at the trailer for the remake it looks like a PS2 game so it really isn't up to modern standard at all, not even AA or even A level game.

It's an Unreal 4 game so wrong but whatever floats your boat. I also find it funny people let a number choose their opinion for them.

Last edited by Leynos - on 01 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

It's an Unreal 4 game so wrong but whatever floats your boat. I also find it funny people let a number choose their opinion for them.

An engine doesn't make a game good or pretty. I didn't know the number until it was said and I replied that is average score on gaming. I watched the trailer and it was very clear the graphic is poor.

DonFerrari said:
Because it isn't as good. FFVIIR for me looks and play 100x better than the original even if only covering a part of the story and it felt satisfying and enough for an entry already saying it will be continued.

Wait what?! 

Seriously FF7r isn’t the entire game AND they will be splitting it over several releases? This makes me even less interested in the game.

For the record I’ve played FF 1,3,4,5,6,7 but actually lost interest in the series because of 7.

For me personally, I downloaded and played the demo for Trials of Mana and wasn't into it much. Maybe I'll get it when it's on sale towards the end of the year.