By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Trials of Mana Remake didnt make any noise, unlike FF7 Remake.

Tagged games:

Spindel said:
Just to stay a bit on topic.

I ordered and is currently playing Trails of Mana. I loved Secret of Mana back in the SNES days.

But I’m sorry to say it but the game is such a drag. I’m going to finish it but the combat is repetetive and there is absolutley no exploration and you are always running towards a quest marker on the only path the game presents to you. I actually got a flash back to about 3 years ago when I tried to play Secret of Mana again and couldn’t bring myself to finishing it then because that game was soooo repetetive (at least there where no quest markers to just run at).

Now I will force myself through ToM but I regret getting it, would have been better to live with the illusion that it was this great game we never got outside japan.

i feel thats the usual rpg thing tho, grind till you overpower everything unless there is an achievement for doing it with as few as possible exp

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

The game isn't even a "remake" once you finish the game and figure out what is going on.  The word "remake" is a subtitle used in the same way as "lighting returns" is used for the 3rd FFXIII entry.  "Remake" was chosen to throw people off and hide a plot twist for the game moving forward, which is why certain die hard fans are crying over it and claiming false advertising.

I for one loved the game, and am very interested to see where part 2 goes.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

Depends on the direction of part 2 really.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

I was more thinking on the false advertisement, they were very clear (and they delivered) that the game would be multiple parts (we know it for like 3 years already) and that they would make changes to fit the choice to do it (some additional content and more detailed stories).

About the quality of the whole product yes I do agree we need to wait for the other parts. I had no issue with the ending of the first part though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

I was more thinking on the false advertisement, they were very clear (and they delivered) that the game would be multiple parts (we know it for like 3 years already) and that they would make changes to fit the choice to do it (some additional content and more detailed stories).

About the quality of the whole product yes I do agree we need to wait for the other parts. I had no issue with the ending of the first part though.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR FFVIIR, TRYING TO DANCE AROUND IT BUT BE CAREFUL

I feel like we are talking about two different things, because I am very much on the same page.  They were very clear about the episodes, but I think it has become more than that.  The way the game ended makes it seem like an entirely new mainline entry to the franchise, that takes place in the same universe as the original FFVII.  This makes the tag "remake" seem to reference the plot twist itself, rather than saying the game is a remake (which is what I was talking about).  So the next game just feels more like a sequel to the game we just got, rather than a second episode of a remake.

It will depend on just how they go about it really.  If, for example, there are some Chrono Trigger/Cross shanagins going on (which very well may be the case)...this is more like a follow up to the original rather than a remake of a game.  I am mainly talking about plot, while trying to dance around spoilers as best I can.

As for the quality, I am not calling that into question.  I feel they will all be quality games, despite my nitpicks about inconsistent visuals and generic side content.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR FFVIIR, TRYING TO DANCE AROUND IT BUT BE CAREFUL

I feel like we are talking about two different things, because I am very much on the same page.  They were very clear about the episodes, but I think it has become more than that.  The way the game ended makes it seem like an entirely new mainline entry to the franchise, that takes place in the same universe as the original FFVII.  This makes the tag "remake" seem to reference the plot twist itself, rather than saying the game is a remake (which is what I was talking about).  So the next game just feels more like a sequel to the game we just got, rather than a second episode of a remake.

It will depend on just how they go about it really.  If, for example, there are some Chrono Trigger/Cross shanagins going on (which very well may be the case)...this is more like a follow up to the original rather than a remake of a game.  I am mainly talking about plot, while trying to dance around spoilers as best I can.

As for the quality, I am not calling that into question.  I feel they will all be quality games, despite my nitpicks about inconsistent visuals and generic side content.

Understood your point. For me usually when something diverges to much from the original I consider it a "what if" scenario from the original and kinda ignore the "remake" or anything similar. Not sure how much it will diverge on the next entry but could very well be something like it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

Only one of these games has Cloud in a dress...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Well, the Mana Series simply never had anything close to the clout or impact on the gaming scene that FF has had. And this is coming from a huge Secret of Mana fan - while the remake is solid on most fronts, it also felt a bit lukewarm and standard to me. I'll certainly be playing more of it but it's also not exactly knocking my socks off.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Well, the Mana Series simply never had anything close to the cloud or impact on the gaming scene that FF has had. And this is coming from a huge Secret of Mana fan - while the remake is solid on most fronts, it also felt a bit lukewarm and standard to me. I'll certainly be playing more of it but it's also not exactly knocking my socks off.

Correction in bold

The simple answer is Final Fantasy VII is still the best selling RPG of all time, and it's remake had been teased on and off for several years. I don't think the entire Mana series sales can account for 7's sales alone. Even at it's peak, it wasn't a million seller. Fans have been asking for Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana for a long time, but after a decade or so it seemed impossible. Now all of a sudden they're making a marketing push, and most fans have moved on or played a translated rom. Yes they've been remaking the games, but Adventure of Mana was a Vita system exclusive, the Secret of Mana remake was met with mixed reaction, and Trials of Mana had no chance... And a Nintendo Direct trailer aimed at Switch owners can only do so much 25 years after the series was most relevant. Nobody even knew what Panzer Dragoon or Contra was, which is sad, but it's the publisher's fault. I wonder if Switch's Dragon Quest 11 did well as they thought?

The Last Belmont said:
The simple answer is Final Fantasy VII is still the best selling RPG of all time, and it's remake had been teased on and off for several years. I don't think the entire Mana series sales can account for 7's sales alone. Even at it's peak, it wasn't a million seller. Fans have been asking for Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana for a long time, but after a decade or so it seemed impossible. Now all of a sudden they're making a marketing push, and most fans have moved on or played a translated rom. Yes they've been remaking the games, but Adventure of Mana was a Vita system exclusive, the Secret of Mana remake was met with mixed reaction, and Trials of Mana had no chance... And a Nintendo Direct trailer aimed at Switch owners can only do so much 25 years after the series was most relevant. Nobody even knew what Panzer Dragoon or Contra was, which is sad, but it's the publisher's fault. I wonder if Switch's Dragon Quest 11 did well as they thought?

If DQXI sold well on PS4 and DQ is a lot more japanese centered market than FF and Switch is a lot stronger on Japan than PS4 so DQXI on Switch probably done quite well.