By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Trials of Mana Remake didnt make any noise, unlike FF7 Remake.

Tagged games:

I really didn't enjoy the demos fore either of them to be honest. I will probably get both at some point when they go on sale. I did enjoy the Secret of Mana remake so I should like Trial when I get around to buying it.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Everyone else already answered the question, so I'll say something else.

Trials of Mana I think also scratches a different itch. In spite of it being remade, it's still very old in some ways.
In Angela's story for example, she finds herself passed out in the snow early on in the game, and wakes up in a warm bed because someone passing by happened to find her, and brought her home. Saved her life.

Happen to be a mother and her little daughter who saved her. Angela however did not thank either one of them for saving her life.
And when I left the house I thought "surely there will be a cutscene when I return, where Angela will thank them for saving her or befriend them", but no. Seems Angela doesn't care that they saved her, and she never (I think) returns to their home again.

That kind of writing felt more natural back in the SNES days. But if that same scene had happened in the FF7 Remake you mentioned, the character would either thank them, or if they have a reason not to, the game would emphasize this clearly.

So that was something that went through my mind when I played it.
But that said, I don't hate the more simple and charming world in Trials of Mana. I felt like I'd want to play through the rest of the game when I'm in the mood for a game like that.

It's up to the player to return to that family. You don't get a cutscene, but a party skill that is exclusive to choosing Angela as your main character.

On topic: I'll say something else too.

There's a type of gamer that I'd call the production value gamer. Simply put, strong emphasis is put on production values of any given game and anything that doesn't have it will be shunned or not given a fair chance. The production value gamer is most receptive to hype, so that same kind of gamer is who makes the most noise. Also common: This type of gamer would put the argument forward that a game with high production values should score at least 7/10 by default.

Trials of Mana got written off before it released. That would have also happened without Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in the same month.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

I love this Game, I Don’t get the 7/10 Argument.

Aside from the IP comparisons, a game of Final Fantasy's budget and art direction is just on another level in terms of mass appeal.

As Final Fantasy games became less and less frequent, I started to look for other JRPGs to fill the gulf and then I sadly realised that there are very few games which has the same art sensibilities, blending western and japanese styles. Often JRPGS are just too anime feeling and tell stories in a ways that I struggle to get into.

Even when you take budget out of the equation. Something like FFVIII or IX which 21 years old still looks more appealing to me character and world wise.

When Anime is done with distinction (Persona for example) or I'm told that something is extremely good, then I'll check it out. 

Perhaps because FF7 is amongst the most influencal and iconic games of the industry. Even if you don't like Jrpg's you have probably heard of Cloud, Sepiroth, Tifa and Aerith. Meanwhile Trials of Mana isn't really iconic (doesn't mean its bad though).

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Hiku said:

Everyone else already answered the question, so I'll say something else.

Trials of Mana I think also scratches a different itch. In spite of it being remade, it's still very old in some ways.
In Angela's story for example, she finds herself passed out in the snow early on in the game, and wakes up in a warm bed because someone passing by happened to find her, and brought her home. Saved her life.

Happen to be a mother and her little daughter who saved her. Angela however did not thank either one of them for saving her life.
And when I left the house I thought "surely there will be a cutscene when I return, where Angela will thank them for saving her or befriend them", but no. Seems Angela doesn't care that they saved her, and she never (I think) returns to their home again.

That kind of writing felt more natural back in the SNES days. But if that same scene had happened in the FF7 Remake you mentioned, the character would either thank them, or if they have a reason not to, the game would emphasize this clearly.

So that was something that went through my mind when I played it.
But that said, I don't hate the more simple and charming world in Trials of Mana. I felt like I'd want to play through the rest of the game when I'm in the mood for a game like that.

It's up to the player to return to that family. You don't get a cutscene, but a party skill that is exclusive to choosing Angela as your main character.

Oh that's nice.
Angela was my main, and I did return to the family, but pretty much immediately after leaving to see if anything would happen. So I guess I'll have to come back some time later to get the skill.

I never even heard of Trial of Mana a year ago whereas everyone and their grandmother's has heard of Final Fantasy.

/Thread

Because it isn't as good. FFVIIR for me looks and play 100x better than the original even if only covering a part of the story and it felt satisfying and enough for an entry already saying it will be continued.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Conina said:
I expected a discussion about PS4 fan noises while playing these games.

Nintendo fans are as noisy as Playstation though =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Mar1217 said:
Ok. First, 74-76 Metacritic isn't anything near to mediocrity. Second, as advertise ToM was simply going to be a more budget sensitive project than FFVII Alternative, yet after my playthrough it easily achieved the barem of what it tried to achieved in comparison to it's original release.

Anywoo, it's sold numbers from PC + Japan = more than 400K-500K copies sold. With the West, it's probably around 700K-800K right now.
If it reaches a million, I'll consider this a success for SE.

74-76 is almost the definition of mediocrity on Metacritic, it is a very near to average score.