By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Minneapolis (Town city) riots & civil unrest in other US cities.

The riots are...

Necessary / Justified. 10 41.67%

Unnecessary/ Unjustified. 12 50.00%

Other, comments, I don't know... 2 8.33%

Total:24

Completely unnecessary, but the reality is we as humans are still nothing more than stupid animals. Since when has destroying your own city, vandalizing your neighbors, and looting local businesses ever helped? The same happened in Baltimore a few years back and I will never understand how people see these actions as any form of justice or retribution. However I will say this, the negligent officers who didn't stop the disgusting act of murder from happening should be charged for accessory and the murderer should be have the book thrown at him, life in prison with no parole or death sentence.

Around the Network

I don't think that people taking advantage of the chaos are the group same as those with political objectives. But in times of chaos, there are always going to be opportunists. That's part of the danger of allowing these corrupt police systems to exist right in your own cities.

Anyway, my opinion:

I'm in favour of the severe consequences levelled against American cities for employing murderous shits on their police forces. It seems that, ironically, the police have acquired an unlawful amount of authority in the US. That needs to be severely reigned in, it's actually disgusting how much control the US police have - they're even giving them tanks in some places: that's a major red flag.

Society isn't listening to peaceful protests, so that's not a legitimate option, and those suggesting it still is are incredibly naive. The civil rights movement didn't work because of peaceful protests, they worked because of fear of the alternative. It's past time that society is reminded of the alternative.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

John2290 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

And now the police arrests reporters live on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIClA57jWmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGEzPWyoAKM

Fuck me, lad. What the fuck...

They were asked to step away from a certain distance, agreed, turned around immediately and started filming. They were arrested and released after being moved from the scene.

1) The police officer needs to be arrested for murder (imo).
2) the riot and looting + setting buildings on fire, isn't going to help accomplish change.
3) mass gatherings during a pandemic, even as a protest are stupid (and likely to kill people).

d21lewis said:
I find the whole thing disgusting. The death of George Floyd and the reaction by the media and the public.

I'm a black male and a former cop.

The whole situation leading up to Floyd's death turned my stomach. That officer was 100% wrong and that knee to the spine goes against any training I have ever had. Especially when the subject was already handcuffed and not combative. AND the officer had backup.

The rioting after was just as bad. I've seen several videos of horrific acts. Some opportunists taking advantage of a bad situation. They never gave the justice system a chance to work. Now Minneapolis is burning.

And the media taking the side of the rioters really has be worried about the future of this country. This isn't "a revolution". People aren't fighting for their rights. They're reveling in their bloodlust.

Those are my brief, simple thoughts. I could write a book on this one.

What do you think about the videos of swarms of people running upto and attacking police cars? and throwing rocks at them/cars?
Ontop of how many people in the US carry guns, I'd be worried as a cop if I was on the streets.

Violence against cops from a group of blacks rioting isn't going to change things for the better.

Neither is looting, or setting cars and buildings on fire.

Around the Network

The authorities are going to do everything in their to control the rioting, but will they do everything to hold George Floyd's killer accountable? The latter remains to be seen, and for that reason I don't really care to focus on the riots and loss of material property. Saying "bad looters" has no influence on peoples willingness to take to the streets but it does take heat off the original murder

RolStoppable said:
sundin13 said:

I'll just copy/paste my post from the politics thread:

I think there is a much more important conversation to have about the role of black protest. We constantly hear "No, you can't protest that way" and then we don't see change. Kneeling during the national anthem is just about the tamest way possible to protest, but nah, it's still too much. I don't believe that rioting is is a positive way to express the anger you are feeling, but at the same time, we need to look at the conditions that lead to this sort of behavior. This is a result of systemic oppression.

To quote Martin Luther King Jr:

…I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

So you are saying that black people should get stuff because they are protesting? If we give them an inch, they'll take a mile. Just look at the NBA where franchises already discriminate against white people by having a disproportionally high amount of black players.

Usually I can tolerate the weird role you play on these forums. I just laugh it off and move on with my day.

But in this instance, I have to tell you to fuck off. I have no intention of ever taking you seriously, and I don't know if this is just more of you messing around and being sarcastic or if this is serious, but either way, just don't.

sundin13 said:
RolStoppable said:

So you are saying that black people should get stuff because they are protesting? If we give them an inch, they'll take a mile. Just look at the NBA where franchises already discriminate against white people by having a disproportionally high amount of black players.

Usually I can tolerate the weird role you play on these forums. I just laugh it off and move on with my day.

But in this instance, I have to tell you to fuck off. I have no intention of ever taking you seriously, and I don't know if this is just more of you messing around and being sarcastic or if this is serious, but either way, just don't.

I considered hitting the report button there for a sec (though I didnt).
RolStoppable trolling on that reply was abit much.

Not so much because he appears to agree that violence and rioting + looting + setting buildings on fire, is needed to make changes to socity.
But from his NBA compairison, that route of downplaying the seriousness of the issue is over the top.

Otter said:
The authorities are going to do everything in their to control the rioting, but will they do everything to hold George Floyd's killer accountable? The latter remains to be seen, and for that reason I don't really care to focus on the riots and loss of material property. Saying "bad looters" has no influence on peoples willingness to take to the streets but it does take heat off the original murder

It really doesnt. 
You shouldn't be happy to vent your anger at random people who arn't responsible for said murder.

Neither does looting, or setting cars and buildings on fire (which dont belong to the cop in question), do anything but hurt other random people.
Plus it goes against what the family of his wanted, and what the person himself stood for.

And 2nd, that cop isnt getting away from this.
He will be held accountable, theres just no way.

JRPGfan said:
1) The police officer needs to be arrested for murder (imo).
2) the riot and looting + setting buildings on fire, isn't going to help accomplish change.
3) mass gatherings during a pandemic, even as a protest are stupid (and likely to kill people).

Exactly what I was gonna say.