By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next Gen System

Very well done although the bullet titles are a little exaggerated they are fair game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
It will be interesting to see what difference this makes. A lot of games have scaling resolutions and frame rates that fluctuate. I wonder how many will actually get that double frame rate treatment?

I’m not expecting much from the auto HDR now that I have looked into TVs that do it. Maybe MS will have better implementation of it but it looks bad on the TVs I saw.

That can be a problem (I expect their algorithm do a good job), because RDR2 looked a lot worse with HDR than without because they basically just put a flag for the tv to threat that signal as if it were HDR (and allowed you to control luminosity and contrast if I'm not wrong). The result on my tv and several others were just a very bland and dead image.

As long as they allow you to chose to use HDR or not even if in some games it look worse it shouldn't be a problem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

hinch said:
Nice. Would be awesome to see old legacy games running at higher res (like 1440p or 4k) and framerates. Should they launch a Series S, I'd be tempted to buy one for my older library and newer games.

A video showed Gears Ultimate apparently running at 4K on BC. That would simply be 1080p at 2x scale.

If they applied that to all games, even the 720p games would suddenly become 1440p. Nothing is confirmed yet, but that showed it could be done.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KLXVER said:
That is really cool. Do you think they will add more games to the BC list?

I previously stated MS adding more BC titles is possible given their record.

They stopped adding OG Xbox to BC for like a decade. However, when it came to X1 they added more games to the store and seemingly fixed emulation bugs.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Can't say this would make me buy Series X immediately, but I would like to see a Gears collection in the same vein of The Master Chief Collection, with Ultimate versions of 2 and 3. Something like that in year one. Not everything has to be about backwards compatibility.

I was close to getting the special Gears Xbox One X console, which was on sale several times bundled with all the games, but they were also vaporware versions. If they were all packaged on disc that would've pushed me into buying it.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:
That is really cool. Do you think they will add more games to the BC list?

They stopped adding OG Xbox to BC for like a decade. However, when it came to X1 they added more games to the store and seemingly fixed emulation bugs.

I remember a clear new from Phil or someone of that level saying they had put a stop on launching new BC titles while they were working on Series X, I think it was Scarlet the codename? So with the XSX being near release they will probably add many more og xbox and x360 titles on the system while keeping almost 100% X1 also BC for XSX. All of that with automatic improvements so less burden on the team with some improvement for the user, even though BC doesn't bring many customers and I usually only play new titles this is a solid implementation.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I remember a clear new from Phil or someone of that level saying they had put a stop on launching new BC titles while they were working on Series X, I think it was Scarlet the codename? So with the XSX being near release they will probably add many more og xbox and x360 titles on the system while keeping almost 100% X1 also BC for XSX. All of that with automatic improvements so less burden on the team with some improvement for the user, even though BC doesn't bring many customers and I usually only play new titles this is a solid implementation.

In 2016 Phil claimed 50% of users used BC. Given it will be available at launch, I bet the percentage of people that use BC on PS5 and Series X will be much higher than that.

I don't get why people keep saying BC doesn't bring many customers or any variation of that thought. Its a feature people want and many will use it, that's all I care about.

Recently Completed

trunkswd said:
Mr Puggsly said:

In 2016 Phil claimed 50% of users used BC. Given it will be available at launch, I bet the percentage of people that use BC on PS5 and Series X will be much higher than that.

I don't get why people keep saying BC doesn't bring many customers or any variation of that thought. Its a feature people want and many will use it, that's all I care about.

As an Xbox One owners, but not Xbox One X owner, I know I'll be replaying some games for the Xbox One X (and now Series X) enhancements. 

Ditto, and frankly there is room for improvment in Xbox One X enhanced games as well.

Some games still have screen tearing, some games still struggle to hit 60 fps, dynamic resolutions will likely stay that at their peak, load times will be improved further, the quick resume feature looks amazing, etc.

I actually see the BC as a great reason to get a Series X. Especially if you're a person that still has a large 8th gen backlog.

Recently Completed

trunkswd said:

Out of all BC games I am most looking forward to playing Gears 5 on Series X. 

Same with me. Gears 5, RDR2, and FH4 are at the top of my list. I still use a base xbox one so I know the jump will be worth while. 

Im just waiting for the announcement of how the Series X will treat resolution on older titles WITHOUT a developer patch. If they say I will be finally able to play, for example GTA4/Mass Effect/Assassins Creed Syndicate at 1080p WITHOUT a developer patch then it will be day 1 for me. If it is possible to go to 60fps then I will even pre order.