By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next Gen System

d21lewis said:
Whether BC is a big deal or not, I'm glad to have it.

The reason I gave away my GameCube and PS2 were because the successors had BC. I gave my Wii away, too but my sister gave it back early this year. I love the feature, especially when it has the option to make older games better.

We've had a lot of variations on bc. Systems had the feature and failed (Wii U). Systems have had the feature and dominated (DS). Some systems didn't have it and were spectacular successes. Some only support bc for digital purchases. No matter what, I'd rather have it than not.

My two pennies.

A feature that allows me to have less boxes near my TV is always great. It convenient and the experiences on the newer hardware can be better. For example, I like being able to capture clips, have faster loading times, get better performance and have increased resolutions while playing OG Xbox and 360 games on my X1X.

A big benefit of PC gaming is the ability to access games from any era. Whether it be old PC games or console/arcade emulators. Anybody who seems to oppose BC or is lukewarm about it, I get the impression it due to their favorite platform lacking it so they downplay it.

I can't think of any other reason why sales is considered.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

BC was a feature on PS2 and PS3 and wasn't relevant even with 100% coverage.

How am I missing the point? We have data on how relevant BC is and I also praised XSX BC effort. You came marching on my mention that it doesn't bring much new sales to try and disprove it to then move goal post.

Have no idea from where you took I said MS shouldn't market it. I guess you are mixing your dislike from me with actual points made.

You're absolutely right. It would suggest people care more about 7th/8th gen BC vs 5th/6th gen. I've argued many times that the 7th gen had a massive number of notable games, far more than previous gens. I essentially feel the same about the 8th, now a lot of ground breaking content but many notable titles and online experiences.

It doesn't really matter if BC brings sales per se, everybody wants it. You only focus on it sales because you're seemingly bitter PS4 lacked it. "But... but... sales!"

"since both consoles will have it that won't really be much of a differentiator." This implies mentioning BC is moot since both 9th gen consoles have it. Their goal is not simply focusing on differentiators, they are getting people hyped about what their BC will do.

There may be significant differentiators on how BC is handled and what improvements are available. Both simply offering BC doesn't exactly make them equal. So again, I'm curious to see what Sony is going to offer for BC given I have a large collection of PS4 games as well.

Yes I'm so bitter about it that I praised the XSX BC implementation... sure keeps looking at the hatred you have for me to distort your thoughts.

The reason I brought sales is because this is a sales forum. If I were to behave like you I would say the only reason you are so defensive over the comment is because you are bitter about Xbox sales, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You're absolutely right. It would suggest people care more about 7th/8th gen BC vs 5th/6th gen. I've argued many times that the 7th gen had a massive number of notable games, far more than previous gens. I essentially feel the same about the 8th, now a lot of ground breaking content but many notable titles and online experiences.

It doesn't really matter if BC brings sales per se, everybody wants it. You only focus on it sales because you're seemingly bitter PS4 lacked it. "But... but... sales!"

"since both consoles will have it that won't really be much of a differentiator." This implies mentioning BC is moot since both 9th gen consoles have it. Their goal is not simply focusing on differentiators, they are getting people hyped about what their BC will do.

There may be significant differentiators on how BC is handled and what improvements are available. Both simply offering BC doesn't exactly make them equal. So again, I'm curious to see what Sony is going to offer for BC given I have a large collection of PS4 games as well.

Yes I'm so bitter about it that I praised the XSX BC implementation... sure keeps looking at the hatred you have for me to distort your thoughts.

The reason I brought sales is because this is a sales forum. If I were to behave like you I would say the only reason you are so defensive over the comment is because you are bitter about Xbox sales, right?

I stopped reading after you admitted you were bitter. Har har har...

This is technically the Microsoft Discussion section. You confused it with Sales Discussion.

Anyway, I think we agree BC has been getting more attention in recent years... because there is significant interest in more modern content being available on BC. So comparing it to PS3's BC is pointless. There are PS1 and PS2 games I adore, but more people would be excited about PS3 emulation on PS5.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:
Whether BC is a big deal or not, I'm glad to have it.

The reason I gave away my GameCube and PS2 were because the successors had BC. I gave my Wii away, too but my sister gave it back early this year. I love the feature, especially when it has the option to make older games better.

We've had a lot of variations on bc. Systems had the feature and failed (Wii U). Systems have had the feature and dominated (DS). Some systems didn't have it and were spectacular successes. Some only support bc for digital purchases. No matter what, I'd rather have it than not.

My two pennies.

Yeah. I would rather have it than not, give the power of choice to consumers.

It's when it adds unnecessary cost and complexity that I am against it, because consoles are generally targeted at fixed price points, I would rather not spend a chunk of the monetary budget on those aspects if we can get more Ram, CPU or GPU capabilities instead.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The most powerful system ever to be held back by its previous gen counterparts.

BC is the pitch of the man who has no confidence in bringing new and exciting games.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Of course all it does is get cleaner lines and sharper textures in the distance. Detail is still made for 720p and 1080p. Same with adding HDR, higher contrast range but you won't get more detail in the bright and dark areas.

It will look better than having the TV do the upscale and adding HDR yet results will vary greatly by game. PC has the options to increase detail levels and effects, BC doesn't have those options or very limited unless the game is remastered.

The biggest improvement will come from higher, stable fps.

Cleaner lines also come with the benefit of much less annoying video artifacts (jaggies, edge flickering in motion) and more steady image.

View on YouTube

Holy shit. I need to play Red Dead Nightmare.

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

Of course all it does is get cleaner lines and sharper textures in the distance. Detail is still made for 720p and 1080p. Same with adding HDR, higher contrast range but you won't get more detail in the bright and dark areas.

It will look better than having the TV do the upscale and adding HDR yet results will vary greatly by game. PC has the options to increase detail levels and effects, BC doesn't have those options or very limited unless the game is remastered.

The biggest improvement will come from higher, stable fps.

Cleaner lines also come with the benefit of much less annoying video artifacts (jaggies, edge flickering in motion) and more steady image.

View on YouTube

Oddly, I notice the lod changes and rough textures a lot more on the XBox One X side. But true, zoomed in, sitting 2 feet away from my laptop pixel screen, it's a big difference. I never thought RDR looked bad on a 1080p projector hanging back on my couch. It's like cleaning up the movie grain and changing the fps of movies to 120hz with interpolation to turn in into a more stable picture, yet not looking balanced anymore.

It's great to have but why spend so much time on it. Doesn't BC on XBox require a recompile of all games which get downloaded when you insert the old disc? Lot of effort for a feature few use and doesn't give you any guarantees that it will keep working (relying on servers again)

I still have my old ps3 hooked up, not for games, it's a great blu-ray player! I always have the intention to play the games I missed (or left unopened on the shelf) at the start of a new gen. Never get to it lol.

Dante9 said:

BC is the pitch of the man who has no confidence in bringing new and exciting games.

I’d argue a strict next gen mentality is a pitch that turns your back on history and cuts off gems from generations past to people old and new to gaming. So PS4 is relevant until day 1 of PS5...then what? Burn the PS4 and it’s games and push it to the back of your mind forever? Jokes aside that’s not the kind of gamer we should be. 

Here’s the real flaw in your argument, it’s that cross gen games can still be new and exciting. Halo Infinite may be on Xbox one, but is a new game all the same and I’m sure it’ll be a blast to play. Your talking about all flash with no substance. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dante9 said:

So... Since the Ps5 is also getting BC... Does this mean that Nintendo is the only company that has any confidence?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850