By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS4 shipped 110.4m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

The PS4 shipped 110.4m by March 31st. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 120 million 143 12.11%

120.0 - 122.4 million 202 17.10%

122.5 - 124.9 million 138 11.69%

125.0 - 127.4 million 201 17.02%

127.5 - 129.9 million 109 9.23%

130.0 - 132.4 million 180 15.24%

132.5 - 134.9 million 27 2.29%

135.0 - 137.4 million 26 2.20%

137.5 - 140.0 million 17 1.44%

More than 140 million 138 11.69%

Total:1,181

The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima will continue to push PS4 sales strongly :)
In addition, the console should continue to be supported for years, so developers and Sony.

Would be cool if we get current sales figures next month =)

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 19 June 2020

Around the Network

PS4 is doing quite a bit better so far this year than I expected. I only expected 9 or 10 million this year from it and it looks like it could be real close to the 14 million it did last year. In light of that I voted for 130 million. I had been thinking more like 120-125 million but it is looking much stronger at this point than it looked after last year sales and still being a year out from being replaced. It should be high 110s by the end of this year, close to 125 mil next year, just under 130 the year after, and pass 130 in 2023 as sales finally get down to around 1 million or less a year. I'm assuming Sony will still be selling it in some stores for like 5 more years so I could see it being low 130 million.

kazuyamishima said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I'll stick with my early year estimate of about 130m. I'd be curious to hear from the "more than 140m" crowd to see how they get to that number.

By the end of this year it will be around 118 million units sold o customer.

End of March around 120 million units. Even PS3 sold around 11 million units after PS4 released.

So that puts PS4 at 130m but not 140m...

Not looking good for at least 80% of the votes.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Wow... so much for under 120 being a 'troll only' option. PS4 will likely pass 120, but just barely.

Around the Network

Used to think PS4 could pass 130m, but now it seems like it will just barely pass 120m in its life and that will be about it. I wonder if it will surpass GB this year.

Torpoleon said:

Used to think PS4 could pass 130m, but now it seems like it will just barely pass 120m in its life and that will be about it. I wonder if it will surpass GB this year.

Same, for years I had it pegged for 130-140 million lifetime, now I think it'll probably grind to a halt a little passed the 120 million threshold.

I was with the median of 125-127.5, though now it seems like it won't be able to cross 122.5, I still expect it to be able to get past 120, even if it is a crawl to get there.

RolStoppable said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Wow... so much for under 120 being a 'troll only' option. PS4 will likely pass 120, but just barely.

In hindsight it's easy to see that the poll ranges should have been shifted 5m lower each, just like the Animal Crossing poll should have been shifted a lot higher.

I don't recall any other time when a console had its worst performing quarter of any given year during the holiday season outside of years that saw outright discontinuations sometime during the year. The PS4 shipped only 1.4m from October to December 2020.

I agree. The poll was based on reasonable expectation.
Reality, as it turned out, was not.

At the time I thought 130.0 - 132.4 million. I tend not to do predictions, I always try to do approximate projections based on past performance. I didn't at the time so I don't even know if the numbers would have panned out.

However, I am relatively certain it will close out instead somewhere between where it is now 114.9m and 117m, maybe 118 if there are even that many left in the world. I think that instead of trying to continue to produce PS4s, even if only for another year or two, perhaps trying to lower the price of the slim to get at the sweeter lower price point for more sales while discontinuing the pro, like they might have done in the past with the PS3, they will quickly discontinue the PS4 and focus completely on the PS5.

This is a hard bet, especially given the constraints of chip manufacturing needed for the PS5 that is shared with the XBOX S S/X, Switch (I think), and others. If the Execs of SONY are thinking what I am thinking, unlike with the PS3 to PS4 backwards compatibility of the previous iteration is a thing again. Meaning people interested in the PS5 can discard their PS4 for a PS5 and play their older games, perhaps flooding the market in used PS4s, lowering the need for people to buy new PS4s. Moving forward a year or two if they can push the digital PS5 to lower prices, larger market price points can be met to continue momentum for old _and_ new software sales.

Of course this is all counter to the somewhat recent news that indeed the PS5 is being sold at a loss. If I understand correctly, even the digital PS5 is sold at a fair loss despite the lack of a disc drive.

Regardless I think PS4 sales will collapse, completely driven by SONY fairly quickly.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.