Read and share this article here.

Switch vs PS4 – VGChartz Gap Charts – April 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,967,451 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,444,576 – Switch

Total Lead: 2,037,346 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 55,757,445

PS4 Total Sales: 53,720,099

April 2020 is the 38th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 2.97 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 4.44 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 2.04 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 38th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is April 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is December 2016. The Switch has sold 55.76 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 53.72 million units during the same timeframe.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 109.96 million units through April 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 54.2 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

The PS4 failed to cross Switch's line despite a holiday season. I wonder what curl and his perpetual Switch pessimism have to say about this.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

PS4 has an extra holiday and Switch is still ahead of it. That double helix pattern is now over. Switch is now permanently ahead of PS4.

Beaten to it (just got up, it's morning here) but it looks like that three-year-long double helix is finally broken.

How much did PS4 sell in its next month, to compare to the numbers we're now getting for Switch in May?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Beaten to it (just got up, it's morning here) but it looks like that three-year-long double helix is finally broken.

How much did PS4 sell in its next month, to compare to the numbers we're now getting for Switch in May?

Looks like the PS4 sold ~1.15 million in January 2017 according to our estimates. We've got the Switch selling 1.27 million in May so far.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Looks like the PS4 sold ~1.15 million in January 2017 according to our estimates. We've got the Switch selling 1.27 million in May so far.

1.27m up to the 16th? Isn't that like 500k per week?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

VGChartz "months" are off by a week. So the data we have for "May" includes 3 weeks. Week ending May 2, May 9 and May 16. I don't know why. I didn't set them up. It updates them automatically and I have no control over it to fix it. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

VGChartz "months" are off by a week. So the data we have for "May" includes 3 weeks. Week ending May 2, May 9 and May 16. I don't know why. I didn't set them up. It updates them automatically and I have no control over it to fix it. 

Ah, okay, so around 400k a week on average. And that's with global shortages. Just insane.

What was PS4's peak year again? FY wise it seems to be 2016 at 20 million, but what about launch aligned? What does Switch have to sell for the rest of the year to continue widening the gap?

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Ah, okay, so around 400k a week on average. And that's with global shortages. Just insane.

What was PS4's peak year again? FY wise it seems to be 2016 at 20 million, but what about launch aligned? What does Switch have to sell for the rest of the year to continue widening the gap?

With aligned launches the PS4 will be at 63.3 million when the Switch is at the end of 2020. End of 2021 for Switch, the PS4 will be at 82.6 million. End of 2022 for Switch, PS4 will be at 99.6 million.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

With aligned launches the PS4 will be at 63.3 million when the Switch is at the end of 2020. End of 2021 for Switch, the PS4 will be at 82.6 million. End of 2022 for Switch, PS4 will be at 99.6 million.

Fucking hell, so by the end of 2020 Switch could be 7 million or more ahead of PS4. Crikey.