By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts April 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I would give my right hand for a trailer of BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, or Prime 4, yet I feel like it'll be 2021 and we still won't have seen jack shit of any of them, and that fucking sucks.

And yeah, I'll be very disappointed if the rest of their 2020 lineup beyond Paper Mario is just reheated old games.

I love Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy. Mario 64 was THE reason I bought an N64 and it is one of my top games of all time. I'd be all for a full blown remake of it using the Mario Odyssey engine.

Maybe Nintendo will surprise us and show one or more of BotW 2, MP4 and Bayonetta 3.

God I hope so, I'm not exaggerating when I say a good gameplay trailer for any one of those three would make my year almost in itself.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

God I hope so, I'm not exaggerating when I say a good gameplay trailer for any one of those three would make my year almost in itself.

I hate to say it, but better not to expect to see anything from those games until 2021 and be pleasantly surprised, than to be disappointed. 

I'm not expecting to see them this year. I just think it's a garbage way to treat your fans, to announce a game they really want then starve them for literally years without so much as a trailer.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not expecting to see them this year. I just think it's a garbage way to treat your fans, to announce a game they really want then starve them for literally years without so much as a trailer.

It is what it is. It is possible these games are taking longer than Nintendo originally planned. 

I get that, but after 2.5 years there is no way Bayonetta 3 isn't ready to be shown, especially as Platinum claim it is going smoothly.

trunkswd said:

Read and share this article here

Switch vs 3DS – VGChartz Gap Charts – April 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 804,972 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,722,301 - Switch

Total Lead: 13,332,678 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 55,084,445

3DS Total Sales: 41,751,767

April 2020 is the 38th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 804,972 units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 8.72 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 13.33 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 38th month for the Nintendo Switch is April 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is April 2014. The Switch has sold 55.08 million units, while the 3DS sold 41.75 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.22 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 20.14 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Heh, if you weren't paying attention, then you might have originally thought this race would be close.  They started off with a similar sales curve.

But on closer inspection you realize 3DS had to cut the price during the first year.  Fast forward to today, Switch is far outpacing 3DS and still hasn't cut the price.  Switch still has a ton of growth left in it.

Switch smashing the 3DS.

Claims they would sell similarly were always driven either by a failure to take into account 3DS's many problems and Switch's ability to tap into the home console market, or simply those trying to downplay its success.

Around the Network

PS4 has an extra holiday and Switch is still ahead of it. That double helix pattern is now over. Switch is now permanently ahead of PS4.

Beaten to it (just got up, it's morning here) but it looks like that three-year-long double helix is finally broken.

How much did PS4 sell in its next month, to compare to the numbers we're now getting for Switch in May?

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Beaten to it (just got up, it's morning here) but it looks like that three-year-long double helix is finally broken.

How much did PS4 sell in its next month, to compare to the numbers we're now getting for Switch in May?

Looks like the PS4 sold ~1.15 million in January 2017 according to our estimates. We've got the Switch selling 1.27 million in May so far.

1.27m up to the 16th? Isn't that like 500k per week?

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

1.27m up to the 16th? Isn't that like 500k per week?

VGChartz "months" are off by a week. So the data we have for "May" includes 3 weeks. Week ending May 2, May 9 and May 16. I don't know why. I didn't set them up. It updates them automatically and I have no control over it to fix it. 

Ah, okay, so around 400k a week on average. And that's with global shortages. Just insane.

What was PS4's peak year again? FY wise it seems to be 2016 at 20 million, but what about launch aligned? What does Switch have to sell for the rest of the year to continue widening the gap?

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Ah, okay, so around 400k a week on average. And that's with global shortages. Just insane.

What was PS4's peak year again? FY wise it seems to be 2016 at 20 million, but what about launch aligned? What does Switch have to sell for the rest of the year to continue widening the gap?

With aligned launches the PS4 will be at 63.3 million when the Switch is at the end of 2020. End of 2021 for Switch, the PS4 will be at 82.6 million. End of 2022 for Switch, PS4 will be at 99.6 million.

Fucking hell, so by the end of 2020 Switch could be 7 million or more ahead of PS4. Crikey.