By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the dumbest game related marketing you've ever seen?

I have to add Enslaved to this list.
It had three different dlcs exclusive to three different retailers and you only got the dlc if you bought the game on day one.

I couldn't decide where I wanted to buy the game so I waited. Still bought the game on day one but because I didn't pre-order, I didn't get ANY of them. And they never even gave us the option to buy any of it. Luckily all three were included when the game got the Xbox backwards compatibility treatment...nine years later. 😠

Around the Network

Evolve.

Evolve for awhile was one of the most hyped-up "next-gen" games. It won best in show awards at E3. It was talked about plenty and praised.  Then before launch, the devs started announced a bunch of DLC and skins and prices that made it confusing and laughable. Pretty much killed the game before it launched.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:

I guess that isn't his real name or it is the first gaming device he had.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Insulting the audience you're trying to sell to. Not the best move.

Around the Network

curl-6 said:

Insulting the audience you're trying to sell to. Not the best move.

Kind of reminds me of the more extreme ads for Sega CD and Game Gear depicting Game Boy owners as inbred rednecks.

CaptainExplosion said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS EVEN HAPPENING HERE?!! *blows up the above ad*

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242424/whats-the-dumbest-game-related-marketing-youve-ever-seen/8/

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This makes me think of the old Johnny Turbo advertisements. PLEASE, somebody post a couple of those. They were terrible!

And he's somehow come back and has his own series of retro switch games.

I just wanna say, I love everything about this thread. Proceed.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SanAndreasX said:

"Giant enemy crabs..."

"599 US dollars..."

Good as a honorable mention, but those weren't ads

Otherwise I could ad(d) these here:

"16 times the detail"

"It just works"

"You guys don't have phones?"

CaptainExplosion said:

Probably acceptable in the late 80s, but now...

Let's see what they had the other side of the pacific ocean...

Well, excuuuuuse me, princess, but I don't know which one's better (or worse depending on your point of view)

Scrolled through 8 pages to see if anyone had mentioned this, but you beat me to it.  No, it's not an ad, but it does fall under "game related marketing" which is the title of the thread.