By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the dumbest game related marketing you've ever seen?

Anything to do with the WiiU

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

Wtf is this even. Bizarre, uncomfortable, no message, nothing.

The fact that the PS2 one was directed by David Lynch is pretty neat. I'm not even a fan really, but it's kinda cool that a big time, we'll respected director did something like this.

It's called The Third Space, but that stupid duck says: "Welcome to the third place."

Sure that's cool but I'm sure 99% of the watchers don't know that and are just left with some artsy fartsy images that just feel uncomfortable. What is the third space even meant to be? What are the first two? Who are the animals on the couch? Is this a drug advertisment, perhaps? This spot only raises questions and leaves people confused and disturbed.

Hiku said:

I used to want that case so bad... 😢

Off the top of my head, the PS Vita ad that made it seem like you could play online no matter where you were. That one was misleading and caisei Sony to be sued.

And the other; "PSP. It's like a nut you can play"

I want to post one that is on the lighter side. Is it the worst ever? No, but it's funny bad. So you have this next-gen console with the SEGA Genesis. You make one of the better shooters for it with a killer soundtrack. Even the mechanics of the game are unique. It's like Kirby as a Spaceship! In Japan, it had some great boxart only made worse for the US version. Well that was common so fine. What about magazine ads? Put the dorkiest guy in there!

For the curious here is the game. One of the better OSTs on the system IMO. Often forgotten because no one bought it because Dorky Mcgee ads.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

The guy doing all of the motions in the Call of Duty 3 Wii trailer:

SanAndreasX said:

"Giant enemy crabs..."

"599 US dollars..."

Good as a honorable mention, but those weren't ads

Otherwise I could ad(d) these here:

"16 times the detail"

"It just works"

"You guys don't have phones?"

CaptainExplosion said:

Probably acceptable in the late 80s, but now...

Let's see what they had the other side of the pacific ocean...

Well, excuuuuuse me, princess, but I don't know which one's better (or worse depending on your point of view)

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 May 2020

GoOnKid said:

Wtf is this even. Bizarre, uncomfortable, no message, nothing.

What? That David Lynch commercial was genius lol

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SanAndreasX said:

"Giant enemy crabs..."

"599 US dollars..."

"16 times the detail"

"It just works"

CaptainExplosion said:

Probably acceptable in the late 80s, but now...

Let's see what they had the other side of the pacific ocean...

Well, excuuuuuse me, princess, but I don't know which one's better (or worse depending on your point of view)

The Japanese one is one of the best video game ads of all time. That rendition of the theme is amazing. The dancing. It's glorious!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SanAndreasX said:

"Giant enemy crabs..."

"599 US dollars..."

"16 times the detail"

"It just works"

They were major marketing fails, though, so it fits the topic of this thread. Sony was trying to sell the PS3 to the world at E3. Sony shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate. It's honestly a testament to the strength of the PlayStation brand that they fought the 360 to a (somewhat pyrrhic) draw after that.